Seeing a lot of rude comments about 1200/cal....

Options

Replies

• DenyseMarieL
    DenyseMarieL Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    MFP put me on 1200 cal to start too. I am 5'3", I have a desk job, and I try to run every other day for 45 min. I eat back the calories I burn, because I worked out and I earned it! (those workout days give me the half glass of wine I sometimes feel I deserve....lol)
  • MVY_
    MVY_ Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    SO IS THIS STARVATION MODE REAL!?...
  • birdieaz
    birdieaz Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    anything under 1200 cals a day is considered starvation mode. food for thought.

People who are never hungry rarely lose weight. Also food for thought.

OMG..lol...thanks for my laugh of the day. I loathe being hungry...won't do it. But I guess the 45lbs I've lost is imaginary weight.

Whatever makes those hunger pangs more bearable I guess.
  • jend2679
    jend2679 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I believe fit and thin are two very different things and because of that I eat nearly everyone of my daily allowed calories including exercise calories, you have to have fuel to burn fat and build muscle. I recently dropped down to the 1 lb a week plan and was bumped up to 1290 calories per day. I'm still loosing pounds and inches (26.5 inches so far)
  • birdieaz
    birdieaz Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    My question to all of those who offer medical or nutrition advice is, where did you earn your degree? If you have not earned one in one of these fields... SHUT YOUR MOUTHS! Everyone is different, different stroked for different folks... no need to criticize because what works for someone else is different than what you know to work for you... get over yourselves... I don't know who would join a group like this if all they want to do is criticize... I joined for support and to support others... if you have other intentions you should probably take your bullying and all knowing selves somewhere else!

People give advice here because people on this board ASK for it. Don't ask for opinions or advice on something that would be better handled by your doctor anyway if you're not willing to take criticism or opposing views.

Thank you for this...I'm baffled how people ASK for advice then get their panties in a knot when it's not what they want to hear.

It's always the eat more advice that gets the most resistance. There is always some reason why they are a special snowflake and eating at TDEE minus a reasonable deficit just WONT work for them.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    it's absurd and unsustainable. why not eat an amount that allows you to workout with intensity and FEEL GOOD doing it. Weight loss is not the be all, end all of this journey.
  • altacosturabeth
    altacosturabeth Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    For me, I felt like 1200 calories (or perhaps 100 or so over) was right for me, and still is even though I'm maintaning at the moment. Before I lost weight I didn't really used to eat a lot of food, just whatever I did eat was pretty high in calories. So when I changed my diet to a slightly better one I discovered that I was struggling to eat over 1200 calories a day, I just didn't feel hungry. It took me a while to get it over that amount and now I struggle quite a bit with eating that much because to me it just seems like a lot of food? I know my mother's the same, she struggles to eat over that much as well! We're not starving ourselves, we're just not doing what we feel is stuffing ourselves!

I dunno, if it's not harming you in any way and it seems to work then I don't get the problem :/
    Options
    For me, I felt like 1200 calories (or perhaps 100 or so over) was right for me, and still is even though I'm maintaning at the moment. Before I lost weight I didn't really used to eat a lot of food, just whatever I did eat was pretty high in calories. So when I changed my diet to a slightly better one I discovered that I was struggling to eat over 1200 calories a day, I just didn't feel hungry. It took me a while to get it over that amount and now I struggle quite a bit with eating that much because to me it just seems like a lot of food? I know my mother's the same, she struggles to eat over that much as well! We're not starving ourselves, we're just not doing what we feel is stuffing ourselves!

I dunno, if it's not harming you in any way and it seems to work then I don't get the problem :/

because usually it is harming you in SOME way. In a malnutrition kind of way--especially if you're working out.
  • altacosturabeth
    altacosturabeth Posts: 62 Member
    Options

because usually it is harming you in SOME way. In a malnutrition kind of way--especially if you're working out.

So what would I be missing out on then? I'm just not a fan of forcing myself to eat.
  • Ash2712
    Ash2712 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm on a 1260 cal plan, and I will admit when I first saw the number I thought I would die of starvation lol. But I made the real change to add healthier things to my diet so I am never hungry, some days I even struggle to get all of them in. It is what works for you. I have been serious about wight loss for about a month and I have lost 11 pounds. I am on a steady trend so far and I feel better then ever.
    The people that hate on low cal plans are not worring enough about their own life plan....
    We all are going to have a different way of doing things, as long as you feel good that is all that matters, your body is smart it will tell you what it needs. I wish you all the luck on your life change!! :smile:
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options

That's the dumbest thing I've heard all day. I'm never hungry, and I've lost 18 pounds in three months.
    Options

That's the dumbest thing I've heard all day. I'm never hungry, and I've lost 18 pounds in three months.

i second that. oh my...i'm so full so that must mean i'm not going to lose weight. are you joking?
  • LovePBandJ
    LovePBandJ Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Many people here continue to preach the myth of starvation mode. There are very few enlightened souls who understand that starvation mode kicks in when a person's body reaches around 5 - 10% body fat -- different for men vs. women.

http://healthscience.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=512:are-you-in-the-starvation-mode-or-starving-for-truth&catid=102:jeff-novicks-blog&Itemid=267

Don't let others beat you up about your choices. Stick to your plan. If you end up with friends who cannot support your plan ... CLICK, they are gone.

Good Luck on your journey. :)
  • mica06
    mica06 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Im also on a 1200 calorie plan and its been working for me just fine, but i must admit that i can't eat back my calories that i burn through exercise because i feel sick eating more than 1200 . I guess my body got used to only eating a certain amount. So i say keep doing what works for you best and don't pay any attention to what other people have to say. Keep up the good work
  • AnnaMC1977
    Options
    Oh yeah! I got the same crap! I asked a simple question about a light snack, and people jumped all over me when they figured out what my caloric intake was. And it is based on your activity level, height, weight and age. And other websites tell you you should have the same amt of calories. We should start a club!
  • princezkristal
    Options
    I just started and it said to 1050 calories a day
  • SammyPacks
    SammyPacks Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    Honestly when I started to really lose weight was when I did 1200 calories... I've honestly even asked professionals and some do recommend it. It's a preference and the starving mode only really happens I believe if you're eating wayyy below 1200... but I eat something around 1150-1300 almost every day now and I've lost 5+ pounds since starting it up again and I feel wayyy better...
  • mhouston2011
    Options
    I'm on 1200 calories and have been since I started MFP...I hardly ever reach that amount even though I try my hardest to. If I'm not hungry, I refuse to eat just to get to that number. If I exercise hard, my appetite increases itself so I eat then until I'm full. If you eat alot of high protein foods (chicken, fish, eggs, even protein drinks) ...all of these are very filling and low in calories. I can eat two chicken breasts at lunch for 220 calories and get 44 grams of protein...or I can eat junk to get my calories up, which is senseless to me...it has worked for me
  • AimersBee
    AimersBee Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    Lifecycle of an MFPer

1. Start out at 1200 calories
    2. Complain about how you're "stuffed" at 1200 calories and don't understand why everyone wants you to eat more
    3. Make a post calling out the mean people
    4. Gradually up your calorie goals when you grow tired of being "stuffed" on asparagus spears
    5. Realize that you're still losing weight and feeling much better
    6. Try to help 1200 calorie people
    7. Get called an arrogant ahole one too many times
    8. Retreat to chit-chat forum more or less permanently, only occasionally emerging to lay down a burn

Agreed...
  • wfte
    wfte Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    For those that say they're short etc so they need less calories.

A 50 year old woman, weighing 130lbs and 4ft tall would still have a BMR of 1206. This is coma needs, never mind going about doing life stuff.