How can people stand being on low-carb diets?

Options
123457»

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    The glycemic nurses all told me to have 4-5 servings of carbs (@ 15g per serving) PER MEAL!
    Please start a lawsuit against them. This madness has to stop !
  • ftellstrom
    ftellstrom Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    i become evil when i go too low carb....eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeevil. :tongue:
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Cause we are awesome. I don't have a problem with energy at all.
  • SunnyAndrsn
    SunnyAndrsn Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who tried to stay on the induction phase of Atkin's far longer than was recommended. She had no problems with energy, but eventually would fall off the wagon with restrictions, eat like crazy for a few days--an insane amount of calories too--and then bemoan how carbs are the devil.

I actually think I feel worse if my carb ratio is grater than 50% of my total daily intake. I don't shy away from them, but my days of constant bread and pasta are long gone. My main sources are now from fruits, veggies, and potatoes. I love baked potatoes--I top them with chili and eat it in my lunch. Low fat chili, small, 3-5 ounce baked potato, YUM!

Full disclosure: My oven was broke for a couple of weeks and the day it was fixed, I made bread from scratch, and ate some every day.

Carbs are definitely one of those things that your own mileage may vary.
  • faefaefae
    faefaefae Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian, so going low-carb would be very hard for me! (Unless I wanted to live on tofu, I suppose... XD)
    I have noticed that I don't do very well energy wise unless I have some carbs in me, so I try to get around 70-80% carbs, and the rest in protein and fat.
    Seems to work well for me!

I would suggest just doing what makes you feel the most energetic, healthy, and happy, though. ^^
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I get between 150 and 250g myself, but I often do 90 minute workouts on the elliptical my bike, burning between 800 and 900 calories a go, and find I feel like crap without carbs. That said, I don't really eat rice, potato, pasta or bread anymore, my carbs come from veg and fruit and even doing that I still struggle with my energy levels. I also notice that my depression gets much worse when I mess around with my carbohydrates.
  • bluedevil005
    bluedevil005 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I eat fewer carbs than I used to, and fewer carbs than the average person, but I wouldn't say I was necessarily "low carb." I frequently have under 200 carbs a day, but it still ends up being 45-55% of my weekly calories. I guess I just don't seek out traditional carb foods because they're higher calorie and don't keep me full for long. Every body is different :)
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    The glycemic nurses all told me to have 4-5 servings of carbs (@ 15g per serving) PER MEAL!
    Please start a lawsuit against them. This madness has to stop !

:bigsmile:
    For someone with hypoglycemia, the 4-5 may be exactly what the person needs.
    To me it seems rather pointless to keep arguing about it.
    We are all different with varying needs. For any weight loss to become permanent, we need to find what works for us in the long term. For me I know that is low carb high fat because I was on my way to becoming diabetic. All my blood tests are back to normal and I want to keep it that way.
    I have no problem swimming two mil;es and then lifting weights even if if I go 4 to 5 hours after my last meal.
    The comments just reinforce that there is no one-size-fits-all. Too bad the bureaucrats at the FDA, CDC, the rest of the alphabet soup refuse to acknowledge this fact. Instead they throw the food pyramid at us and the meaningless BMI crap.