I just bought a gym membership. What do you do at the gym?

Options
I exercised at a gym for the first time in about a month. The reason I stopped was because my membership ran out and I was working a lot at my manual labor job. But I haven't been working as much there so I finally got a new membership :smile: What do you like to do at the gym?

Replies

• stevehomoki
    Options
    You work out. It helps if you develop a plan
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    What do you like to do at the gym?

I like to eat cheeseburgers and cheesecake and yummy stuff like that in front of people running on the treadmills
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Don't get discouraged, it's a good question. I'd like to know, too. :smile:
  • ipsamet
    ipsamet Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I swim in the pool when it's too cold to train outside. I run on the treadmills when the weather is crappy out. I lift weights. Oh, I sit in the hot tub when I'm sore!
  • laurie571
    laurie571 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    What do you like to do at the gym?

I like to eat cheeseburgers and cheesecake and yummy stuff like that in front of people running on the treadmills
    this !!! lol sorry that made me laugh, i always thought that someone in front of me with a cupcake would be great motivation.
  • MeccaLoves2Sleep
    MeccaLoves2Sleep Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Ignore the sass. It can be a bit intimidating so I totally get it. Those machines- where do you put your leg? face down or face up? lift or pull? When I was new to the gym, I went during slower times just to get familiar.

Once comfortable-
    20-30 minutes on the stairclimber, treadmill or eliptical.
    30 minutes on weight lifting (focused on arms or legs but not both)
    20 more minutes on stairclimber, treadmill or eliptical
    15-20 on abs
    I do more cardio if I haven't burned at least 500 calories

Now I skip all that and go to a 60 minute class- Turbo Lift, Turbo Kick, whatever.

Good luck!
  • Clarissia_Nicole
    Clarissia_Nicole Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I spend most of my time on the treadmil. On strength training days, I do treadmill, weights&abs, eliptical, weights&abs, bike, weights&abs.
  • jamszy
    jamszy Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    It's all about trying everything out to see what you enjoy! Elliptical seems to be the go-to at my gym. Vary it up every 30 minutes and throw some resistance training in there as well! I
  • ConnorLynne65
    ConnorLynne65 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Sweat. sweat a lot. I try to get that heart rate point where it basically feels like a high, like I unlocked a secret super power I didn't know I possesses. Sometimes my super powers are unlocked while I take it to the next level on the elliptical or sometimes they unlock when I bench press a few pounds more than last time and for an extra set. I do what ever I can to sweat a little more than I did the last time and I feel a little stronger than I was yesterday.
  • slenderizeme
    slenderizeme Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Sweat. sweat a lot. I try to get that heart rate point where it basically feels like a high, like I unlocked a secret super power I didn't know I possesses. Sometimes my super powers are unlocked while I take it to the next level on the elliptical or sometimes they unlock when I bench press a few pounds more than last time and for an extra set. I do what ever I can to sweat a little more than I did the last time and I feel a little stronger than I was yesterday.

Lol. That's great.

I haven't done much resistance training. I don't know why but I am intimidated by those machines. I need to get over my fear!
  • Echosapa
    Echosapa Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I do circuit training three days a week. On the other two days I do the treadmill at home, but ellipticals are great. I figure strength training though is just as important as cardio.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I exercised at a gym for the first time in about a month. The reason I stopped was because my membership ran out and I was working a lot at my manual labor job. But I haven't been working as much there so I finally got a new membership :smile: What do you like to do at the gym?

It's nice to have a workout plan. There are plenty around here. LOL

Here's what I do:

The routine I do consists of weight lifting first and cardio second, but I still do cardio (mainly running). I change up everything all the time. My running is sometimes long easy runs, sometimes HIIT, sometimes shorter medium pace runs. My weight routine changes each day, each week, Circuits, Intermittent Super Sets, Fibonacci Pyramids, X-sets, Progress Venus Pyramids, and some splits, constantly changing it up, everything a variety of Strength, Hypertrophy, and Endurance.

Legs; In addition to Dealdlift's, Stiff Leg Dead Lifts, Sumo Dead Lifts and Squats I do Bulgarian Split Squats, Lunges, Reverse lunges, Curtsey lunges, Step Ups, Crossover Bench Step Ups, One legged Deadlifts (T-Bend), Lunge Matrix, Bowler Squat, One Legged Get Ups, Bower Squat and calf Raise, Bowler Squat + Stiff Leg Deadlift, Curtsey Lunge + Dumbbell Squat, T-Bend + Y-Squat, Reverse Lunge & Step Up, Curtsey Lunge + Step Up, Y-squat, Narrow Stance Squat

For upper body I do Standing Shoulder Press, Standing Dumbell Curls, Lying Tricep extension, Pullovers, Bent Barbell Row, Standing lateral Raise, Standing front Raise, Curl and Press, Shoulder Press + Curl, Dips, Lying Tricep Extensions + Flyes, Venus Raise (a type of snatch), Bent Row + Standing Lateral Raise, Pullovers, Pushup + Dips, Standing Dumbbell curls + Overhead Tricep Extension, Bent Lateral Raise + Pullovers, One Arm Dumbbell row, Flyes + Pushups, Seated Curl & Tate Press, Seated Curls + Overhead Tricep Extension, Pushups, Pullovers + Dips, Bent Barbell Row, Lateral Raise + Full Front Raise, Venus Raise + Dips, Standing Dumbbell curls + Lying Tricep Extension, Upright Row + Dips, Bent Barbell Row, Flat bench Press, Incline Bench Press, Bent Row Narrow, Bent Row + Kickback,

Then some upper and lower combos; Squat and Front Raise, Step Up & Press, Step Up + Standing Shoulder Press, Squat & Press, Squat & Swing, Curtsy Lunge + Standing Shoulder Pres, T-Bend & Row, Pike Front Rais + Curtsey Lunge, Flat Bench Press + Step Up.

Core: Bar Bell Rollouts (you can start out with Stability Ball Roll Outs), Swiss Ball Pikes (you can start out with Stability Ball Curl Ups), and planks. As you advance Swiss Ball Pike and pushup.

I probably forgot some but you get the idea.
  • TXGirl821
    Options
    I meet once a week with a personal trainer, then the other days I do cardio and then usually one or two additional strength training sessions - whatever my trainer tells me to work on.

You might want to see if you can get a fitness assessment with one of the trainers at your gym to see if they can kind of tell you what to work on.
  • imchicbad
    imchicbad Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    20 min of cardio and 40 min of strength training (weights)
  • PapaDunx
    Options
    Check out the JeFit website. If you have a smartphone, then you can download the app and keep a track of your stuff.

Years and years ago, before strength training became "hip", I used to do 15 mins cardio, 3x 15 reps ab crunches every day, then legs, back, biceps one day, shoulders, chest, triceps the next day 3 was an off day, so I played a racket sport, then started again. Sunday was a day off.

After 6 months I turned it into a 3 on, one off, 3 on schedule.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    M/W : strong lifts 5*5 weight lifting
    F (or saturdays if i skip friday) : olympic lifting
    T/H : 60 min cardio
    Sat: turkish get ups and jump rope stretching swimming
    Sunday: rest
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options

Lol. That's great.

I haven't done much resistance training. I don't know why but I am intimidated by those machines. I need to get over my fear!

Yes! Definately try to get over your fear of the machines! Ask the staff what day and time is the least busy, then if you are able to, go experiment on the machines at that time so you aren't feeling pressured by a crowd. That's how I learned.

To answer your first question: I run about 3 miles on the treadmill and a couple of times a week I also go through the weight machines and just do the basic stuff. On Sundays I do long runs on trails. Keeps me healthy and keeps my stress levels in check. At my old gym - which just got to be too expensive and too crowded so I quit - I used to love doing a yoga class once a week.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Three days a week I lift the free weights (I don't use machines) and I take the yoga classes daily. I walk to and from the gym (so I don't usually do cardio). Occasionally I use the stationary bike for 15 minutes. I also dance (but not at the gym).
  • cyndymar
    Options
    I do Body pump 3x a week ( strength training , lifting weights ) Nike training , Love Zumba , eliptical , running Intervals , stairmaster . Everyother day work upper body than lower body . I love the gym :smile:
  • cheshirequeen
    cheshirequeen Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    zumba and cross fit
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!