I just bought a gym membership. What do you do at the gym?

Options

Replies

• LifestyleChange33
    LifestyleChange33 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    $2 App on my phone: pocket trainer!!
  • katherinepolumbo
    Options
    M/W/F I do a 60 minute Body Pump Class (strength training/weight lifting), sometimes I'll do free weights/lift in place of one of those class days. Tu/Th are my cardio days - 30 minutes on the elliptical or arc trainer followed by 25 minutes of uphill treadmill walking. I also like to throw a running day in there somewhere during the week.
  • 28houstonc
    Options
    All the classes they have are great but I love cycling and zumba too:happy:
  • GaryRuiz
    Options
    I just sit around
  • Troublemonster
    Troublemonster Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I recently started Stronglifts 5x5 for strength training. After my lifting workout I usually hit a treadmill and alternate between slow and easy distance jogs and fast paced runs.

I use the Jefit pro app on my phone, really helps stay on track. I also had good results with a more traditional 5 day per week routine.

Today I did,
    Stronglifts workout A then hit the treadmill for a mile and a half at 8 min/mile pace.
    Tomorrow I'll probably do at least 5 miles if I run but I have been thinking about swimming laps too.
  • GaryRuiz
    Options
    ummm I just sit around
  • mccbabe1
    mccbabe1 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    I exercised at a gym for the first time in about a month. The reason I stopped was because my membership ran out and I was working a lot at my manual labor job. But I haven't been working as much there so I finally got a new membership :smile: What do you like to do at the gym?

I do zumba!!! and 'body pump' class (strenth training/weights class) and sometimes the stationary bike.. and sometimes the free weights... love classes though ... congrats on new membership!:drinker:
  • loricasanas
    Options
    I like to mix it up. Take some group classes. I love yoga, zumba, and bootcamp. When I want to listen to music and read I switch it up with the eliptical and treadmill with different incline and speed for maximum calorie burn. I like to do weights at home. Just make sure to do what's fun for you so you don't get bored. Good luck! :)
  • ramius
    Options
    Well not that I'm a expert or anything but -- shouldn't the first question you answer is :: what do you want to get out of it?? -- are you trying to lose weight -- train for a run -- become a tri-athelete? -- general fitness -- body building aka weight training -- strength / flexibility -- Biking / racing -- eye candy watching (yeah I said it.. some people are there for that.. just sit outside a zumba class and you'll know what I'm talking about)

I think you have to answer this question first and then decide what you like and want to do.. there are training programs galore for any of these fitness goals..not to mention classes galore usually at most gyms.

Mine personally has been weight loss and training for 5ks -- thus I do strength training a couple times a week in a group class and then I do cardio the rest of the time with 1 or 2 days off -- running and spinning to mix it up and give my legs a WTF moment a couple times a week.. along with doing the weights for increased strength and long term metabolism.

Good luck and all the best in whatever you do.. take it from a former couch potato .. being a gym rat is better than sitting on the couch unable to walk up a single flight of steps without getting winded.
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    i ride the elliptical for 1 hour each day monday through friday. then i lift light / moderate weights on my arms... seems to work really good for me...
  • lynz4589
    lynz4589 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I go by a programme set by a PT. Each work it gets slightly harder and this week Ive hit the point that I am at my limit until I get a bit stronger (the thought of going up another lvl seems impossible!)

I do a 1 hour PT session a week - that usuall involves some sort of boxing along with other cardio and strength training, then a further 2-3 times a week I do 35 mins of cardio (xtrainer or bike both at level 10) and 25 mins of toning and strength trainin, usually in the form of ab crunches, leg raises, squats and weight lifting.

Im trying to increase my trips to the gym and so will try and add in a day of swimming in the next week or so :)
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    If you are going through the hassle of getting to the gym, getting changed, showering after etc.. then make the most of it. Be the one there with sweat pouring off you and a luminous red face. Push your heart rate (find out what your ideal is), by going beyond what you think you can do you'll build stamina and fitness.
    Can't recommend getting a pt too much - even if it's on an occasional basis to keep you focused and on track and to push you.

Personally I do a bit of machines but also do my on mini circuits on the floor which keeps me from getting bored as well.

enjoy it (or at least the feeling afterwards!)
  • sushiadct
    Options
    Spin class!!! Then elliptical after!!!
  • BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    If you're new to gym you should be able to spend some time with a trainer who you can talk to about what you want to achieve and how best to do that. They'll also talk you through the equipment and show you correct technique, etc. Whatever you decide to do, mix it up so that your body doesn't know what to expect. At my peak of exercising a few years ago I did an hour of cardio on Day 1, 1/2 hour of cardio and weights on Day 2 and swimming on Day 3. If I missed a day of exercise I just picked up with the next day in the routine, so I was never being in the habit of Tuesday being weights day, etc. which can get a bit boring. Worked for me!
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    What do you like to do at the gym?

I like to eat cheeseburgers and cheesecake and yummy stuff like that in front of people running on the treadmills

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :sad: :noway:
    #ThatsJustWrong
  • baaybeegurl
    baaybeegurl Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I exercised at a gym for the first time in about a month. The reason I stopped was because my membership ran out and I was working a lot at my manual labor job. But I haven't been working as much there so I finally got a new membership :smile: What do you like to do at the gym?
    I use weight machines. Each day I focus on different body parts. Then I do abs and cardio either the treadmill or the ark or elliptical. Sometimes I use the stationary bikes. But the ark is supposed to be really good. It burns lots of calories!!!
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I like the elliptical because you can work really hard and it's not so hard on the joints. I do a circut of the weight machines if I have time, arms one day and legs another.
  • claudineer
    claudineer Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Some days I exercise for 60 minutes, other days 80 min, and other days min 30 minutes (w. the exception of today --I only did 22 minutes).

On a 30 minute day, I will do treadmill, arc trainer, elliptical, or bike for 30 minutes. I will usually do intervals at high intensity or lower consistent intensity.

On 60 minute days I work with my trainer and we work hard. This is a big lift weight day. If I am not struggling by 5 reps in, we increase the weights. A set consist of 15 repetitions and we do 3 sets. I would recommend that you try a month with a personal trainer. Anyone can benefit from the experience.

70 minute day I workout with my trainer for 60 minutes and then bike or do the stair climber for 20 minutes.

My trainer has me exercising 6 days a week. Three days of weights and 3 days of cardio. It's my trainers philosophy that you need to build muscle, but you also need to do cardio, for at least 30 minutes, the other 3 days to lose weight.

Best,
  • Pjhench
    Pjhench Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Well, if its a gym where they have Les Mills classes you work your behind off and love every minute of it. Try Body Combat. You will become addicted after once class.... or any of their classes.... but body combat is the best. ENJOY!!!
  • Growtinymusclesgrow
    Options
    You freaking do work! You remember during each rep, each set what you did to yourself and what you know have to do to reverse that! You sweat, lift large amounts of iron, spend way to much time going cardio and best of all...you enjoy every single minute of it@
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!