My new obsession...Spinning!

Options

Replies

• PurpleTina
    PurpleTina Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I am a new convert to spinning, only been going for about four months, and I bought a padded gel saddle to ease the pain in my substantial rear end! I wear a heart rate monitor, and usually burn between 850 and 1000 calories in an hour!!!!
  • mamaclose
    mamaclose Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Padded shorts do help, but your *kitten* will get used to the seat, I really don't need the padded shorts anymore. I would not recommend padded gel seat covers.

Classes around here are typically 45min to an hour.

The great thing about spin class is they are all about perceived exertion. So customizable for every ability!

I too have clip-in shoes and will never go back to regular sneakers!
  • tkillion810
    tkillion810 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I love all the great input on Spinning! I'm a certified instructor and teach a few classes a week. What others said about the rear - it definitely will get used to it. It also helps to sit those "sit bones' further back on the seat. For anyone who is hesitant to try it, please know that the ride is customizable - meaning you do what you can when you can. The instructor is there to lead the way and provide the direction. You choose your intensity. I recommend showing up a few minutes early and asking the instructor to help you set up the bike so it fits you. They can also give you ways to modify the ride at times when the exertion levels are higher.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Padded bike shorts, sounds good! The instructor said you get used to it but it really hurts! My class was an hour and she said don't worry about keeping up but I did pretty well. There was a woman in there who was going slower and didn't have her resistance as high, so you can go at your own pace, highly recommended. I was completely drenched afterwards and it felt amazing!

Spinning is awesome! Just make sure you stretch really well today and maybe take a short walk. You're probably going to be more sore tomorrow than you are today (just a warning!).

As far as padding goes - you will get used to it, I promise. It takes about 3-4 classes. No need for expensive shorts or padded seats. You'll adjust.

I've been spinning at least once a week since December (sometimes 2-3 times a week, if I can fit it in my schedule). I can't live without my spin classes :)
  • martintanz
    Options
    OK, I am inspired. Was trying to decide which class to take today, but this thread settled it. Just called my club and reserved a spot for spinning.

RE: getting biking shorts. They don't need to be expensive. If you can't find a pair at a local bike shop at a reasonable price, you can buy them on sale online at Nashbar for $25 to $40.
  • fitsin10
    Options
    what's spinning? Is that just a stationary bike?
  • guardian419
    guardian419 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I used to do a spin class religiously every M/W/F. It's a great burn, and your butt will get used to it. Once you build your core up lower back pain will go away. Just remember, doing it too much will lessen the effect, so be sure to switch up your workout. Swimming is a great alternative to spin, especially if you don't like running.
  • martintanz
    Options
    what's spinning? Is that just a stationary bike?

No, much more intense. Search this forum and the internet. Search "Spinning" and "Johnny G" to get the history of the class.
  • BSchoberg
    BSchoberg Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I took a Spin class for the first time last night and I am hooked! I was dripping sweat, my legs were killing and I loved it! Thinking I need a padded cushion for the seat though OUCH! Anyone else out there doing Spin classes?

Don't bother with the padded seat --- you're hind end will get used to it, but it will kill you for about 2 weeks. Stick with it! Just finished my spinning class today and I LOVE it!
  • Lee716
    Lee716 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I have never taken a spin class. But after reading this thread, it really makes me want to give it a try. My gym offers one Monday - Friday, so I might just give it a chance.
  • aj_31
    aj_31 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I went back to spin last night after many months away. It is a great workout! My butt hurts today too. I do have a padded bike seat but someone else recommended the bike shorts. I guess I don't know if one works better than the other. I do know I will not go back to the Wed night class because the instructor was lame and not motivating. I hated every song he played and wanted to leave 30 min into it. But...I stayed and got my workout in.
  • Rowan813
    Rowan813 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Spinning is my favorite cardio. I never bothered with the padded seat or shorts. You do fine after a couple of classes. What did make a nice difference for me was the shoes. I made sure I really liked spinning before making the investment. Now I wouldn't spin without them.
  • erinw1011
    erinw1011 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I plan on doing a mix of Spin, Barre, TRX and Zumba. The instructor also said the pain would go away so I'll just deal with it. I'll look into the shoes.
  • lindalee0315
    lindalee0315 Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I am a Spinning addict. Most classes run 45 minutes to an hour. During "race" season, when I can ride outdoors, I take two Spin classes a week, each for an hour. In the winter the Y offers an additional fee class called endurance Spin, which is two hours long each Sunday for 3 months.

As others have said, your rear does adjust. Make sure that you have the instructor fit you to the bike so it's set up correctly. That minimizes discomfort and also allows you to get the most out of the workout. If you find you're going to do it often, you can invest in clips. This helps you on the upstroke, and allows you to engage more muscles. If you ride outside, you find that you have more power. Go to any bike shop and tell them you want clips for a Spin bike and they'll know what to do. (These also work on pedals for outdoor bikes). Padded shorts are great. I don't need them for the hour long class, but definitely use them for the two hour class and whenever I go on a long ride.

Spin is addicting! I love it. I burn between 700-850 in a class, depending on the intensity. Our instructor is geared toward triathletes, so we do different workouts in different training zones. In the two hour class I usually burn about 1300 calories.
  • StarryWayfarer
    Options
    My first class was this passed tuesday and boy did my bum hurt! Lol
  • aj_31
    aj_31 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I would have to agree that after the first couple of classes your butt does get used to the seat. I never really used my pad in the past because I became used to it and my past instructors had us out of the seat a lot.
  • cdr3000
    cdr3000 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I LOVE spinning! I started back up a month ago and haven't looked back since! I go twice a week and although the bike seats really suck you do get used to them after a while (as some people have already pointed out). Can't wait to go again tonight!! :P
  • erinw1011
    erinw1011 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I am a Spinning addict. Most classes run 45 minutes to an hour. During "race" season, when I can ride outdoors, I take two Spin classes a week, each for an hour. In the winter the Y offers an additional fee class called endurance Spin, which is two hours long each Sunday for 3 months.

As others have said, your rear does adjust. Make sure that you have the instructor fit you to the bike so it's set up correctly. That minimizes discomfort and also allows you to get the most out of the workout. If you find you're going to do it often, you can invest in clips. This helps you on the upstroke, and allows you to engage more muscles. If you ride outside, you find that you have more power. Go to any bike shop and tell them you want clips for a Spin bike and they'll know what to do. (These also work on pedals for outdoor bikes). Padded shorts are great. I don't need them for the hour long class, but definitely use them for the two hour class and whenever I go on a long ride.

Spin is addicting! I love it. I burn between 700-850 in a class, depending on the intensity. Our instructor is geared toward triathletes, so we do different workouts in different training zones. In the two hour class I usually burn about 1300 calories.

I cannot imagine two hours! Good for you. The instructor did a great job showing me how to adjust the seat. I can't wait to wear my heart rate monitor (forgot it last night) and see how many calories I burn!
  • serendipitygal67
    Options
    Hi, I'm in the UK and love spinning too.. I find that it is incredibly challenging and at times I just want to scream I work so hard BUT i wouldn't have the guts to get off that bike and quit so I keep on keeping on and before I know it, i have worked at a super high intensity I probably would/ could never push myself to on my own on a machine in the gym and for 45 minutes too.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    I took a Spin class for the first time last night and I am hooked! I was dripping sweat, my legs were killing and I loved it! Thinking I need a padded cushion for the seat though OUCH! Anyone else out there doing Spin classes?

YES! I Spin 4x/week! I started almost a year ago, and I got hooked. It also helps that I go to an awesome studio (all they do is Spinning), and the instructors and other riders have become like family. I'm a bit spoiled there.

I wouldn't waste your money on a padded seat or padded shorts; by your third or fourth class, the soreness will be gone. Before long you won't even notice it anymore. Save your money to buy cycling shoes, which will change your life!