What time do YOU work out?

Options

Replies

• rllewell
    Options
    I've worked out in the morning at a gym for many years and then go straight into work.

My routine is to pack up and lay out everything I need the night before and get to bed by 10-11 PM.
    I wake up at 5:30 AM, dress in my workout clothes, and get to my Golds Gym and start working out by 6 AM.
    My workout range from 1 to 1.5 hours, shower/shave/dress, and get to work by around 8 AM.
    On Saturday it is same as above except I sleep in an hour or two and go back home when done.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    What time(s) of the day do you work out, and what do you do? Is it working out well for you? I'm thinking about trying to work out in the early morning because I hate the crowded gym, and it doesn't die down until 7, and by then it doesn't really become a priority. Advice on working out earlier in the morning?

Between the pull of work and family and the constant list of home repair and improvement chores, I basically have zero opportunity for any sort of structured workout. I'm a terrible insomniac, so waking up at 4AM ain't. gonna. happen.

So I just started bicycling to work (28 mile round trip, hilly). Not every day, but as often as I can manage it. 1,700+ miles so far this year.

Of course, with the cold weather here in Maine fast approaching, it's going to be time to hang the bike up for the season soon and stop the home improvement on the weekends, so I'll get out the skis and snowshoes and start spending more weekend quality time with my daughter again. Not exactly what I'd call misery. :)

Just find a way to replace something inactive with something active. Park at the ridiculously furthest parking spot you can find and add a few hundred feet to your walk. Take the stairs, at least a few floors. Stand up every now and then and do ten squats at your desk. Or replace your commute with a bike ride (a few people here at work with really long commutes drive to a park-and-ride about 5 miles away, ditch their cars, and do the last 5 miles on a bicycle. That's ten miles a day on a bike. Sure beats the hell out of zero miles on a bike).
  • ForeverChasingTheSunsets
    Options
    I do my workouts in the evenings. I do circuit training, kickboxing and whatever other class I can get in like Zumba, Interval Training, Group Strength, and Core Circuit. After a long bout of being away from the gym, I'm easing back into it. This is what worked for me in the Fall of 2011. I like our YMCA gym because it's hardly ever crowded except for September and January. I like to see the same people in there and it gives me a challenge to push myself when I have other people around me.
  • ggcat
    ggcat Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I work out in the early mornings about 4 a.m. (which requires me to wake up at 3:30 or 3:40am because i LOVE the snooze button). this has always worked best for me since starting my life change. I get my work out in before getting ready and leaving for work and then IF i am in a energy pack mood, i can work out a little in the evening.

I am the same- except I am up at 3:20am!!!!
  • Hev_uk
    Hev_uk Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Evenings after work. I don't usually have commitments other than tv watching in the evening so it fits perfectly. I've only just gone to bed at 3.20am, some of you guys are seriously dedicated!
  • Rivers2k
    Rivers2k Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I work out at 5:30 am. Just set your alarm and force yourself. Its hard at first but then after two weeks you will get into a routine. oh an make sure you are in bed by 10.
  • iysys
    iysys Posts: 524
    Options
    for those of you that get up at 3:30 or 4:00 to work out; what time do you go to bed?
  • morningmud
    morningmud Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I usually head to the gym around 8:30-9:00 at night and do 1-2 hours. I go to a 24-hour gym and at that hour there is hardly anyone there, often I am the only one.
  • athenagv
    Options
    for those of you that get up at 3:30 or 4:00 to work out; what time do you go to bed?

i try to be in bed for 9-9:30...but sometimes its not till 10-10:30. i have to deal w/ the hubby, a 7yr old and a 5mth old! so sometimes moms bed time is a little late. if everyone is in bed by 8:30-9:00 and if by some weird strange odd chance i have some energy left after a full day of work that got started at 4:30am....then i try to go for a quick run after they're all in bed and then im in bed!
    its difficult....but im trying!
  • Goal_Driven
    Goal_Driven Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Usually when I get off work... so around 8:00pm, ugh! It's a rough life lol. but you do what you gotta do!
  • cal_73
    Options
    My only advice is to eat as soon as you get up so by the time to get to the gym you have some food energy.
  • AZDizzy
    AZDizzy Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I work out between 10pm and midnight. I've been working on trying to work out first thing in the morning, but I just hit snooze.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    5am
  • jenaissance
    jenaissance Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Up at 6 am, workout (crossfit) from 7 am to 8 am Monday thru Friday. I just made it part of my morning routine.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    It varies. I have 2 young children and my husband works shifts, so when he's working lates I go to the gym in the morning and he watches the kids, and when he's on earlies I go to the gym around 3:30 after he gets home.

I work 3 days a week and the kids are in nursery until 6. I go to the gym straight from work (I'm a teacher and finish at 3) on those days and then go home quickly if I have time, then go get the kids. I usually collect them around 5.

I do a combination of cardio workouts on my own, spinning class, aerobics and I also have a personal trainer who I see twice a week.
  • Ladyiianae
    Ladyiianae Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    5am M-Th

5pm Fri and Sun

6am Sat
  • cheerforsteelers
    cheerforsteelers Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    I usually do a work out in the evenings, but I find that if I don't go right to the gym after work then I end up staying home. I'm going to try getting my gym bag together and heading to the gym before work so I can get ready there and start my day. The downside is that I hate waking up earlier than I already do. I will do it though because it's an easy excuse to not do anything...ever.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    What time(s) of the day do you work out, and what do you do? Is it working out well for you? I'm thinking about trying to work out in the early morning because I hate the crowded gym, and it doesn't die down until 7, and by then it doesn't really become a priority. Advice on working out earlier in the morning?

I workout first thing in the morning before eating. This helps the body internally create HGH, which helps with weight loss and benefits the body in many ways. This is explained in Rusty Moore's Vacation Body Blueprint, I wrote about my first experiment with doing this process --> http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/745151-i-got-a-compliment-from-rusty-moore-from-fitness-black-book

Since I don't need to lose weight anymore I just eat up my maintenance calories the rest of the day.

I hit the weights hard, or usually 1 to 1.5 hours. Then cardio for 30 minutes to 1 hour. Every day is different with the weights and cardio. The routine I do consists of weight lifting first and cardio second, but I still do cardio (mainly running). I change up everything all the time. My running is sometimes long easy runs, sometimes HIIT, sometimes shorter medium pace runs. My weight routine changes each day, each week, Circuits, Intermittent Super Sets, Fibonacci Pyramids, X-sets, Progress Venus Pyramids, and some splits, constantly changing it up, everything a variety of Strength, Hypertrophy, and Endurance.

Legs; In addition to Deadlift's, Stiff Leg Dead Lifts, Sumo Dead Lifts and Squats I do Bulgarian Split Squats, Lunges, Reverse lunges, Curtsey lunges, Step Ups, Crossover Bench Step Ups, One legged Deadlifts (T-Bend), Lunge Matrix, Bowler Squat, One Legged Get Ups, Bower Squat and Heel Raise, Bowler Squat + Stiff Leg Deadlift, Curtsey Lunge + Dumbbell Squat, T-Bend + Y-Squat, Reverse Lunge & Step Up, Curtsey Lunge + Step Up, Y-squat, Narrow Stance Squat

For upper body I do Standing Shoulder Press, Standing Dumbell Curls, Lying Tricep extension, Pullovers, Bent Barbell Row, Standing lateral Raise, Standing front Raise, Curl and Press, Shoulder Press + Curl, Dips, Lying Tricep Extensions + Flyes, Venus Raise (a type of snatch), Bent Row + Standing Lateral Raise, Pullovers, Pushup + Dips, Standing Dumbbell curls + Overhead Tricep Extension, Bent Lateral Raise + Pullovers, One Arm Dumbbell row, Flyes + Pushups, Seated Curl & Tate Press, Seated Curls + Overhead Tricep Extension, Pushups, Pullovers + Dips, Bent Barbell Row, Lateral Raise + Full Front Raise, Venus Raise + Dips, Standing Dumbbell curls + Lying Tricep Extension, Upright Row + Dips, Bent Barbell Row, Flat bench Press, Incline Bench Press, Bent Row Narrow, Bent Row + Kickback,

Then some upper and lower combos; Squat and Front Raise, Step Up & Press, Step Up + Standing Shoulder Press, Squat & Press, Squat & Swing, Curtsy Lunge + Standing Shoulder Pres, T-Bend & Row, Pike Front Rais + Curtsey Lunge, Flat Bench Press + Step Up.

Core: Bar Bell Rollouts (you can start out with Stability Ball Roll Outs), Swiss Ball Pikes (you can start out with Stability Ball Curl Ups), and planks. As you advance Swiss Ball Pike and pushup.

I probably forgot some but you get the idea.

LOL, probably more than you needed to know but maybe you'll get something out of it.
  • casswash2400
    casswash2400 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I'm am a stay home mom with a 4 Month old little girl and a 4 year old little boy, it works best for me if I workout early morning and mid day. I choose to do a workout video like TeaBo or Jillian Micheals Shred and Shed in the morning and an intense bike ride in the mid day. I can't go to the gym with a new baby so I get my workout in when I can get the break.
  • chelovik
    chelovik Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Whenever I can. If I'm lifting it's usually in the morning. Cardio, whenever I have the time to. Works for me. If I didn't workout I'd probably kill someone.

Or just be more sarcastic.