HOw to get out of the I'll start tomorrow mentality

Replies

• MVY_
    MVY_ Posts: 253 Member
    LMAO. I have those days. I tell myself, "I don't want to do it, maybe another day. one day won't hurt." and then I get into my bedroom and I'm putting on workout clothes and I go, "I'm just trying it on, nothing special." then I put on my running shoes and I'm out the door to my car and I drive all the way thinking "Ok, I'll go but only for 20 minutes or so I guess. As long as I worked out." Once i get to the gym and I'm on the treadmill--20 minutes goes by, "Ok, maybe another five minutes." I go for another five minutes...."Ok only 5 minutes left of cardio run might as well finish it." LMAO! and I do finish it! lol.
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    LMAO. I have those days. I tell myself, "I don't want to do it, maybe another day. one day won't hurt." and then I get into my bedroom and I'm putting on workout clothes and I go, "I'm just trying it on, nothing special." then I put on my running shoes and I'm out the door to my car and I drive all the way thinking "Ok, I'll go but only for 20 minutes or so I guess. As long as I worked out." Once i get to the gym and I'm on the treadmill--20 minutes goes by, "Ok, maybe another five minutes." I go for another five minutes...."Ok only 5 minutes left of cardio run might as well finish it." LMAO! and I do finish it! lol.

:laugh: that's so awesome, I usually do something similar. Before going to the gym I'll change into my gym clothes 'just in case I decide to go later'. Once I get there and go on the treadmill I'm like "I'll allow myself to stop once I burn 200 calories" and by then I really want that number to hit at least 300 so I keep going and then proceed to use other equipment. :P
  • Read this article. Then check back in after your workout.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2012/09/04/power-of-habit/

:heart:
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,423 Member
    It's easy really - you just start today.

Log what you've already eaten - and if you don't like the way the numbers look, then spend a few minutes planning a better day tomorrow.

And if you don't eat as you planned tomorrow? Well, you can't change that once its done, but you can change what you eat for the next meal.

One meal at a time, one walk/run/workout at at time. It's the only way you can do it.
  • emsicle_o
    emsicle_o Posts: 162 Member
    What helped me is the idea that every day is a new day. I re-start every day, whether the previous day went well or not, with my daily calorie goal being re-set (in my case, at 1200). So, if my goal starts over every single day, so can my efforts. I'm not trying to "be good" every single day. But, every single day, I try to "be good" TODAY.

It is all a mind game. Eventually, it gets easier, and you don't even have to think about it. You just begin again.

I hope this helps. :tongue:

Fantastic! Thank you, I've been feeling guilty for the last few days and just want to give up! What a good way of thinking.
  • ReinventingLisa
    ReinventingLisa Posts: 104 Member
    Honestly.. it's easy after a while of thinking about starting "tomorrow." For over a year I have wanted to lose this weight that I gained with the "there's always tomorrow" mentality. The thing is, I could have been at my goal weight for almost a year if I started instead of kept thinking about starting. That's how I see it anyways. After a while, you just get sick of thinking that way, or clothes not feeling right, or not feeling great about yourself. I don't remember a day in the last year in a half that I have been comfortable in anything I have worn.

There will be a time where everything just clicks. If not, then you're not ready to leave that mentality.
  • John2347
    John2347 Posts: 336 Member
    Ugh....how do you guys get out and stay out of this mentality. I can do somewhat well for a few days, then have one slip up and go into the "I'll start again tomorrow....or worse yet, on Monday, or next month" thinking. Then, of course, before "tomorrow or Monday" I go crazy until then! How do you avoid this??

when this happens, whatever you are doing when you feel that "ill start tomorrow", go do something immediately! Mind Over Matter! If you start doing that, then you prove to yourself that you have the self control needed to succeed in this weight loss journey! I haven't heard of anyone saying "I'm so mad that i worked out today"! Remember, tomorrow is always a day away and will never be TODAY, so as Nike would say "JUST DO IT"!
  • D3vAnge1
    D3vAnge1 Posts: 104 Member
    Today is your tomorrow! plain & simple.
  • vmekash
    vmekash Posts: 422 Member
    What helped me is the idea that every day is a new day. I re-start every day, whether the previous day went well or not, with my daily calorie goal being re-set (in my case, at 1200). So, if my goal starts over every single day, so can my efforts. I'm not trying to "be good" every single day. But, every single day, I try to "be good" TODAY.

It is all a mind game. Eventually, it gets easier, and you don't even have to think about it. You just begin again.

I hope this helps. :tongue:

Fantastic! Thank you, I've been feeling guilty for the last few days and just want to give up! What a good way of thinking.

So glad to know this helps someone (besides myself).
    I just figure that at the end of each day, I should either congratulate myself on a job well done, or forgive myself for any missteps. Then, move forward from there. It really does work for me.
    Cheers!:drinker:
  • well as for me I realized that I m not I do it later person so i realize once i start, there no stopping, no turning back. So i got all my treats and snacks out of the way before i started, and now I am on a mission to get this weight off and dont look back. I figure maybe every 10 or 15 pounds i treat myself to a small potion of something as a reward for having reach a goal,
  • Muscles_Curves
    Muscles_Curves Posts: 385 Member
    I have to admit that I used to go through a vicious cycle:

1. I fuss at myself
    Screenshot_2012-09-14-09-25-27-1.png

2. Then I give myself a pep talk
    Screenshot_2012-08-22-19-39-29-1.png

3. Then I set up a reward system that encouraged me to get off the couch and move it.
    Screenshot_2012-09-11-19-39-55-1.png

4. One thing I will never do is:
    Screenshot_2012-09-16-12-17-39-1-1.jpg

Sorry about all the pics. I'm a visual aid kinda person.
  • TinGirl314
    TinGirl314 Posts: 430 Member
    Well...not to go too serious but I had a heart attack..at 26. It was on my way to work...80% bad eating and not doing any moving, 20% more stress than I could handle.

I wish it could have been something else...but I don't regret it at all. I'm lighter than I've ever been, I actually had a blood sugar of 67 tonight and I had to feed myself sugar. That's nuts.

I would suggest that you don't wait for your heart to kick your butt into gear.
    I don't mean that in a mean way, more an honest kinda way.
  • marvelmo
    marvelmo Posts: 119 Member
    We have only today, right now, this minute
    each minute I make a choice eventually the minutes become hours, hours, days and days, months etc
    all by making a choice right now to eat vegetables instead of whatever
    Life is about choices
    At this minute I choose to be healthy
    my mantra is
    either do or do not there is NO TRY
    You can do this!
  • marvelmo
    marvelmo Posts: 119 Member
    I have to admit that I used to go through a vicious cycle:

1. I fuss at myself
    Screenshot_2012-09-14-09-25-27-1.png

2. Then I give myself a pep talk
    Screenshot_2012-08-22-19-39-29-1.png

3. Then I set up a reward system that encouraged me to get off the couch and move it.
    Screenshot_2012-09-11-19-39-55-1.png

4. One thing I will never do is:
    Screenshot_2012-09-16-12-17-39-1-1.jpg

Sorry about all the pics. I'm a visual aid kinda person.
    Well Said! Love the Visuals:wink:
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    How to get out of it? Do it today.... do it the moment you start trying to talk yourself out of it. That's the only way it will work.
  • It doesn't take a long time for you to get to where you want to be. Ask yourself if you want it badly enough to start over right now.The sooner you start, the sooner you're at your goal. Then you can concentrate on maintaining that weight in a healthy and safe way. And that's where most of us haven't gotten to yet either.
  • kmm7309
    kmm7309 Posts: 802 Member
    I struggle with this too. I have a lot of little systems in place to prevent problems.

1. I schedule a workout with a friend at the gym almost every day. We pick the next time before we even finish up our current workout. It keeps me accountable.

2. Keep the junk out of the house. I really am too lazy to go get it at a store.

3. Keep a bar of dark chocolate in the freezer to suck on when the cravings are too rough. Haven't touched the bar in a month.

4. Plan my meals for a month, and buy all my food in two week intervals. No excuses to "grab a quick bite" because I have meat at home that needs to be cooked.

Basically, identify those things that make you want to start tomorrow (not exercising, overeating) and prevent them before they can sabotage you. I'm not perfect, I've been stuck at the same weight for over two months, but by making these changes, I didn't gain over two months of not exercising much or logging at all!
  • beekuzz
    beekuzz Posts: 428 Member

So funny. I do this all the time and it's getting worse. I'll start out the door having convinced myself just to get in a 10 minute walk since i can't run yet. So then it's 20 minutes and get to a corner, stop and look towards home and then go a different way for another 5 minutes. I'm now up to 80 minute walks and 70 minutes on my stationary bike, depending on what day it is. Seems everyday is like this now.
  • kmm7309
    kmm7309 Posts: 802 Member

So funny. I do this all the time and it's getting worse. I'll start out the door having convinced myself just to get in a 10 minute walk since i can't run yet. So then it's 20 minutes and get to a corner, stop and look towards home and then go a different way for another 5 minutes. I'm now up to 80 minute walks and 70 minutes on my stationary bike, depending on what day it is. Seems everyday is like this now.

Wish this worked for me! I even wear my workout clothes to school (campus is 5 minutes from gym) and I can't seem to get there sometimes :(
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    This may sound odd, but I try to separate myself from the "voices" in my head. I know deep down that I want to do what's right/healthy because that's what will bring me happiness. The real me is good!

The voices that chatter in my head sometimes aren't very good, though. But I don't have to let them have power over me - they are just random thoughts that I can choose to believe or not believe:
    "Chocolate will make you happy - lots of it!."
    "You'll feel better after a second plateful of pasta."
    "Everyone deserves to have cheesecake once in a while."
    "It will be easy to start your diet tomorrow."

So when I start having one of these thoughts, I try to recognize it as an invader that doesn't belong in my head. I remind myself that I can just tell it to go away. It helps to think of the bad thought as a separate entity that's not connected to me. I hope that doesn't make me sound completely psycho!

I'm still learning to catch myself in time, and I fail sometimes, but I'm getting better at telling the harmful voices to take a hike!