So my dilemma

Options
I am running a race in early november. You can sign up for a 5K or a 10K. I ran one 10K back in July when I really wasn't ready for it and ran 1:19:29 but there were over 5000 runners and I was far from last and I wasn't even last in my age group. I've since ran further than 10k and the last time I did, I checked my time at 6.2 miles and it was 1:03:xx so I knocked 16 minutes off my time. Go me.

I'm looking at the times from the last two years for this race, both lenghts.

Worst 10k time, period, was 47 minutes and change meaning not only would I be last in my very small age group but I would be LAST overall.

Worst 5K time for my age group is 28 minutes and change. My best 5K time is 29 minutes and change.

The worst 5K time for the race is longer than my 10K but I'm assuming those are the walkers.

So I'd like to run a 10K but I don't want to come in dead friggin last.

Do I suck it up or do I run the non-embarrassing 5K?

UPDATE: You've all convinced me. I'm signing up for the 10K.

Maybe I can make a personal best.

Replies

• cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    I say suck it up and run the 10K. The best way to improve yourself is to to put yourself against those who are better than you. That way, if you do come in better than you thought you would it's a valid victory. If you run in a race you know you're going to win, then it's not really a race to begin with...it's just some cardio exercise you participated in.
  • gaj87
    gaj87 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    You run the 10K. Don't worry about everyone else. Just best your time. You are who matters.
  • SavannaN
    Options
    Just suck it up. Let them be motivation for you. Even though you may not obtain it, try and become the second to last person. You never know, you may just surprise yourself.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Run the 10K and bank on the adrenaline of race day shaving a few seconds off your time anyway.

What's living for if it isn't for chasing down the next challenge?
  • BSchoberg
    BSchoberg Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Suck it up and do the 10K! You might find yourself setting a personal record, just by being with faster runners. AND, there is no shame in being dead last.

RUN! :flowerforyou:

ETA: if you do the 5K just to save face, you should be ashamed.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I say suck it up and run the 10K. The best way to improve yourself is to to put yourself against those who are better than you. That way, if you do come in better than you thought you would it's a valid victory. If you run in a race you know you're going to win, then it's not really a race to begin with...it's just some cardio exercise you participated in.

I don't mind not winning, there's no real danger of that, I just don't know I feel about literally coming in dead last. :frown:
  • gauchogirl
    gauchogirl Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Run the 10K.
    Finishing, even last, beats the hell out of not trying because you're scared.
  • jessepants
    jessepants Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Do the 10k. If you run the 5k you'll be kicking yourself afterward
  • KJoy7
    KJoy7 Posts: 246
    Options
    Do the 10K..... :smile: I have a feeling those numbers are not right. I don't think you will come in last!! You can do it!!
  • deniseearheart
    deniseearheart Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I say just run it if you can... Do you realize how many people (like me ) that can't run AT ALL....
  • MissNations
    MissNations Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    If you are really really bothered by the idea of coming in last (and it sounds like you are) then run the 5k.

BUT

A. You never know who'll enter it this year--might be several runners slower than you.

B. You still have a month of training left.

C. You've already made great improvements on your time, it's entirely possible you could knock several more minutes off.

D. I found that I ran a lot faster during races(rather than on my own), having people to pace off of or slower people to pass was very motivating.

You could really surprise yourself.

Good luck no matter which you choose. :drinker:
  • drewbird911
    drewbird911 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    You need to ask yourself; Why are you doing it in the first place? If your goal is to give yourself something to train for and moitivate you then sign up for the 10K and do your best training to be ready and do your best. If you don't want to embarse yourself just sandbag and do the 5K but you need to work hard and kill it.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options
    Who cares if you are last? Are you running to prove something to yourself or others?

Be last and be proud that you at least showed up and finished.
  • tarakizer
    Options
    I am pretty confident that they have a typo on their 10k results page. I betchya the worst 10k result was 1 hour, 47 minutes.
  • BetterCrazyThanLazy
    Options
    Suck it up and run the 10K! You will be charged with adrenaline and you will be surprised how much faster you will be going during the race! Good luck! You will do great!
  • njitalian
    Options
    Do the 10k.. it sounds like the only reason you don't want to is because you are worried about coming in last. I think that in itself would be the motivation to push yourself harder and not come in last.
  • Erienneb
    Erienneb Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Run the 10k! What is life if not challenge? I say keep an eye on the stragglers and keep near them, then bust it out at the end to pass them by like half a second.
  • BetterCrazyThanLazy
    Options
    I am pretty confident that they have a typo on their 10k results page. I betchya the worst 10k result was 1 hour, 47 minutes.

Hmmm, I think 47 sounds right. If you run 6 miles at 10 minute pace you will finish in 60 minutes.. :)
  • helpmeherman
    helpmeherman Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Suck it up. Just last weekend I ran in a 10K and I was 2nd to last. And that was with a decent time. I ran it in 1:10, which isn't bad. The person before me finished in less than an hour. So there were only two people that took over an hour to finish. My friend was dead last, she had the golf cart behind her the whole way. But, she finished. I finished. So we call it a win. Just do it. Somebody has to be last.

You beat everyone who doesn't show up.
  • sylvuz323
    sylvuz323 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Challenge yourself don't worry about where you will finish!