So my dilemma

Options

Replies

• Brengild
    Options
    "DLF>DNF>>DNS" which means Dead Last Finish beats Did Not Finish which greatly trumps Did Not Start. In other words, go for the 10K.
  • RubyWare
    RubyWare Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Who cares if you are last? Are you running to prove something to yourself or others?

Be last and be proud that you at least showed up and finished.

^^this^^
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I am pretty confident that they have a typo on their 10k results page. I betchya the worst 10k result was 1 hour, 47 minutes.

Hmmm, I think 47 sounds right. If you run 6 miles at 10 minute pace you will finish in 60 minutes.. :)

MALE AGE GROUP: 40 - 49
    Place No. Name Ag City St Net
    ===== ===== ==================== == ================== == =======
    1 83 Jeffrey Hargreaves 45 Merrimack NH 35:35
    2 72 Andy Gish 40 Lincoln MA 35:37
    3 363 DAVID SNELSER 45 38:14
    4 260 Thomas Scanlon 47 Lowell MA 39:04
    5 258 William Peters 48 Manchester NH 43:29

But there were actually a couple of people when I looked at the overall results that were longer than 1:10:xx
  • allifantastical
    allifantastical Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    I do 5k's when I can hardly run at all so I walk about 80% of it. I didn't sign up for one for a long time because I was afraid to come in last...but who cares? At least you are trying!! Go for the 10K.
  • laarae
    laarae Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    really who cares if you are last-did you finish-isn't that what is most important
  • FrostyLady
    FrostyLady Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Run the 10K.
    Finishing, even last, beats the hell out of not trying because you're scared.
    that is so the best advise!!!
    I ran 20k this summer and couldn't care less if I were last( Wasn't too far ) but I was simply so proud of doing this!!! I'm 48, scrapped 30 years of them smoking!!! Doing this helped me surpass myself, and at the same time I encouraged a good cause!!! Go for It||||
  • redredy9
    redredy9 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    SUCK IT UP.

Iin every race someone has to come in last but even the very last person to cross the finish line - crosses the finish line!

Do it. You might even surprise yourself!
  • SeamsSewWright
    Options
    Don't worry about being last. Just think- your time may help someone next go around when they are thinking the same thoughts. Just do it, and you'll be glad you did.
  • Yogarunner21
    Options
    Congrats on improving your 10k time! 16 minutes is a great improvement, and like what someone else here said, there is still more training time if you want to shave off more minutes.

I understand your concern, but I say go for the 10K. You already know you can run that distance regardless, so racing it after all the training you've done would be great accomplishment. I wouldn't get too caught up in the comparison to other people's times just yet; just focus on your own times and accomplishments. I don't know how big of a race the one you're signing up for is, but for comparison, here are some quick stats for a 10K I did a few months back:

There were about 2000 participants.
    My time was about 1:06:xx, averaging about 10:30 per mile.
    I placed dead center in the race overall, and was even a little better than 'dead center' for my age group. (I'm in my mid-20s but I'm a brand new runner. Also, the race was in Los Angeles, where there are plenty of healthier people abound, just for a little relativity)

I did this race for run with my friends, so I was just happy to finish. I think at the rate you're going with your training, you'll do so great at the 10K! Good luck and let us know what you decide to do =)
  • Qatsi
    Qatsi Posts: 2,191 Member
    Options
    I'm walking my first marathon in ten days. Since there is no separate walkers division, I fully expect to be near the end of the rankings. But I'm not in this to compete with the 3000 others who will no doubt have a better time than me. I'm in it to push myself out of my comfort zone and accomplish something that most people will never even attempt.

Do the 10K - you won't regret it.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

UPDATE: You've all convinced me. I'm signing up for the 10K.

Maybe I can make a personal best.

Good for you! I won't even bother with the rest of the thread.
  • justal313
    Options
    You beat everyone who doesn't show up.

Good point :happy:
  • BetterCrazyThanLazy
    Options
    I am pretty confident that they have a typo on their 10k results page. I betchya the worst 10k result was 1 hour, 47 minutes.

Hmmm, I think 47 sounds right. If you run 6 miles at 10 minute pace you will finish in 60 minutes.. :)

MALE AGE GROUP: 40 - 49
    Place No. Name Ag City St Net
    ===== ===== ==================== == ================== == =======

But there were actually a couple of people when I looked at the overall results that were longer than 1:10:xx

Holly cr@p!!! That's crazy! 6-minute mile? I would die! :tongue:
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    LOL you are reading the results incorrectly.
    Those are the TOP FIVE for each age group.
    Overall results are, fastest finish 32:00 , slowest 1:09:42
  • justal313
    Options
    LOL you are reading the results incorrectly.
    Those are the TOP FIVE for each age group.
    Overall results are, fastest finish 32:00 , slowest 1:09:42

Wow, so it is...

Bottom time for my age group was 54:18 I probably can't be up to that speed by then but I can probably beat 1:09:42. Wow, I thought this was a little race full of VERY serious runners.
  • ixap
    Options
    That's why I looked it up. I was wondering what race it was that had only fast people!
  • justal313
    Options
    That's why I looked it up. I was wondering what race it was that had only fast people!

Mad sleuthing skills, how did you find the race?
  • ixap
    Options
    I copied and pasted what you put

into google
  • kellibenage
    Options
    To finish is to WIN! Who care's where you place, as long as you finish the race. Work on YOUR best time and stop comparing yourself to everyone else. :smile:
  • justal313
    Options
    To finish is to WIN! Who care's where you place, as long as you finish the race. Work on YOUR best time and stop comparing yourself to everyone else. :smile:

Misreading the prior times I thought this was an insanely fast field historically and I don't mind be one of the slowest but I had visions of the race people literally waiting on me to pull up tent stakes and go home. Since I am not 20-30 minutes slower than the previous slowest finisher, I'm good. I've signed up for the 10K. I don't know why I even stressed. I did a 5k the day after I ran the warrior dash, I was woefully unprepared for my first 10K and I ran anyway, and I'm going to run a half marathon next fall.

The apparent insanely fast field just threw me off a little. I'm much better now :smile: