Am I the only one?

Options
I can't help but look at other people's before and after pictures and see their success, but for some reason, I find it depressing. I know that I am doing well because I'm getting stronger and I'm developing healthy habits, but even though I've lost pounds and inches, I feel like I look exactly the same. There's no drastic WOW before/after for me. I'm happy for the people who get that, but I guess I'm also just jealous.

How's that for supportive! :laugh:

Replies

• Whiskybelly
    Whiskybelly Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    You'll see yourself every day, so it's going to be tough to notice any changes in your shape because they won't be noticeable one day after the next! I still think I look the same, but my jeans say otherwise.

Are you taking your own before and after shots? Compare those and after a couple of months notice the difference - and that's key as far as I'm concerned, looking ahead months instead of a few days. If it was quick and easy then none of us would be here, we're in it for the long haul.

Keep going and see how you feel in a couple of months time. Otherwise you'll just think back and wish you kept pushing on.
  • TIDDYBEAR
    TIDDYBEAR Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Not to mention that 13lbs isn't much to SEE a difference. I personally have to loose at least 30lbs before ANYBODY notices. What are the before/after weight loss differences you are looking at? I have lost 85lbs so there is definitely a difference. You will get there!
  • BeingAwesome247
    BeingAwesome247 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    like already stated....you see yourself everyday. When you don't have much to lose, it may seem like there isn't a difference.
    I'm sure others would notice if you posted pics.
  • janlee_001
    janlee_001 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I just tell myself that will be me that people are viewing not to far in the future :bigsmile:
  • shygur
    shygur Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    No, you aren't alone, I have lost 94 lbs and I still don't really see a difference although I can tell there is one, from clothes and activity levels etc. I can see it in face pics too.
  • BlackKat75
    BlackKat75 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    You are totally not the only one. Take pictures and measurements. Yesterday I managed to put on a pair of jeans that I don't think I've been able to wear in *a decade*. I looked in the mirror and thought to myself, "I don't really look any different from when I started," but that can't be true because 8 months ago I couldn't have gotten these jeans past mid-thigh.... For whatever reason, our understanding of our shape takes longer to change than our actual shape.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Your brain loses weight slower than your body. Fact.

I still ocassionally make wide slow turns around corners thinking Im trying to squeeze through an area that I could totally run through with no problem. It DOES get better I swear.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I just tell myself that will be me that people are viewing not to far in the future :bigsmile:

Me too! I have my before pictures, just need the patience! :bigsmile:
  • birdieaz
    birdieaz Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    It's hard to see the difference in ourselves. Since I was previously very thin it was depressing seeing old pictures of myself. It wasn't until I hit the 25lb loss mark that it started to sink in I was getting smaller.

Eventually your brain will catch up and that first time you catch a glimpse of that fit chick in the mirror and realize it's YOU...nothing feels better.
  • stephanie1133
    Options
    Your brain loses weight slower than your body. Fact.

I still ocassionally make wide slow turns around corners thinking Im trying to squeeze through an area that I could totally run through with no problem. It DOES get better I swear.

Totally this! I do the same thing trying to squeeze between things when I totally don't need to.
  • iReadYerMind
    iReadYerMind Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    My friend and I are taking one photo of ourselves at the beginning of every month and saving them so that we can put them all together once we reach out goals, and see how far we've come. You should try it!
  • gse313
    gse313 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    What makes it more aggrivating is that the people who carry their weight all over see results more slowly, but they are more drastic where the ones who just carry it around their middle for instance, ONLY see any difference there...
  • arrawyn79
    arrawyn79 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    no, you're not alone!

seriously, even though i've lost 58 lbs and so many people have commented on the fact that i've lost so much weight/i look great etc etc etc. when i look in the mirror, i still see the same me!! its BIZARRE. okay, yeah i know i'm smaller because i can fit into WAY smaller clothes...but when i look in the mirror, i don't see any difference - its some weird brain thing obviously - and as others have already said, we see ourselves every day, so we don't actually SEE the difference that other people so obviously do - even though there is one - and as others have said, it takes awhile for our brain to catch up to our new body, because...even though i don't see it when i purposefully am looking at myself in the mirror, when i see myself as a reflection when i'm walking by a window or something, it's really weird because i don't recognize myself and my body. it's not ME! (the old me!). its very ....disconcerting really (but not in a bad way!).
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    I didn't really see the difference until someone asked me out and mentioned numerous times how "hot" they thought I was. I mean, I knew I'd lost 55lbs and looked pretty good. Certainly, felt better and all that. BUT, yeah, all I could see was what was left for me to lose and where I was still "fat".

After being asked out, I took a real look in the mirror and at older pics. Then, I saw the difference and decided to be proud of how I looked (even if I'm not totally at goal yet).

So, take pics of now, even if there is no before. The pics you take in the future will show a difference.
  • juliec33
    juliec33 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I never saw a difference either.....every time I looked in the mirror I was still the same fat girl I'd been all my life. Then we got a new security guard at our office building. We all have to wear badges with our picture on it and he stopped me and asked why I had someone elses badge on. Well, let's just say the security desk made me take a new picture. When I saw the two pics side by side I finally saw what everyone else was seeing.

Take some pics - you will see a difference!!!
  • jgm379
    jgm379 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I am impatient and find myself eating less intentionally and working out way too hard just get it over with as quickly as possible. I cant wait until all I have to do is maintain. Right now I cant stand to look at myself. Even though I have lost 12 lbs and lots of inches I am so aggravated and disappointed. Some days are so unbearable and depressing.
  • DexterDarko
    Options
    The outside doesn't just reflect your changes. I FEEL healthy. My heartburn and acid reflex is gone and my mentality is in a good state. Take your own little "before" picture to compare in the future, I'm going to... eventually.
  • gingerjen7
    gingerjen7 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Not to mention that 13lbs isn't much to SEE a difference. I personally have to loose at least 30lbs before ANYBODY notices. What are the before/after weight loss differences you are looking at? I have lost 85lbs so there is definitely a difference. You will get there!
    That's kind of my point, though. I was never technically overweight. I originally started with a goal of 23 lbs and then adjusted it to a healthier 20 lbs. 20 lbs is not a big difference, so there's never going to be some OMG, look at the difference moment. You know?

I have taken pictures; they don't show much difference either. It's not a big deal; I'm just a little jealous of people that have really amazing transformations. Maybe when I get more toned it will make a difference.
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    one of these days it will just click and you will love yourself! Also, telling yourself positive things in the mirror helps
  • fairykelly13
    fairykelly13 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    It totally sucks, but people don't really notice until it's a drastic amount. People in my office didn't really start noticing that I had lost weight until around 25 - 30 pounds down...