Am I the only one?

Options
2»

Replies

• secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    You're only losing 20lbs. Count your blessings there... That's why your weight loss won't look as extreme as those who have 50-100lbs to lose. I'd rather be in your shoes :)
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    You're only losing 20lbs. Count your blessings there... That's why your weight loss won't look as extreme as those who have 50-100lbs to lose. I'd rather be in your shoes :)

whatevs lobs u know u were born athletic, u nvr really had to work for nothin unliek the rest of us who look at pizza and get fat.

*hides*
  • pants77
    pants77 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Your brain loses weight slower than your body. Fact.

I still ocassionally make wide slow turns around corners thinking Im trying to squeeze through an area that I could totally run through with no problem. It DOES get better I swear.

I'd say I agree, and disagree. It gets better but it's always there, at least as a reminder.

Over the course of the last 10 years, I lost about 120 pounds, then I gained back 130 pounds, and have now lost back about 110 pounds. I've been at about the same weight for 2 years now, doing the slow fat burn and muscle build. Some things that I think are going to stay with me forever:

I will always feel like the fat kid. Even though I physically feel much better than I did when I was heavier, I spent too much time as the fat kid to completely divorce myself from that mentality. Plus, I'm still kinda fat. So there's that as well.

When someone farts in the elevator or in line at Subway or on the bus, I will always feel like everyone thinks it was me. I'm not sure if everyone else has had this experience, but I can tell you that for me, it has always seemed like people look at the fat person when they smell a fart. And some people feel much more comfortable letting one rip in a confined space when there is a fat person there for everyone to silently blame it on.

Unless I get surgery, I'm always going to have a muffin top made of skin. This, I believe, will prevent me from ever thinking I'm "thin". And I'll have to wear pants that are 2-4" bigger in the waist to accomodate, although my waist is actually not below-gut anymore, which is nice.

I will also always have stretch marks. Everywhere. They're not going to go away - some people's fade over time, but mine aren't budging. Too much stretching for too long for me.

I will always have to remind myself that when I'm in a crowded bar or some other crowded area, I can squeeze through that gap even though my brain is telling me I can't.

I will always have to remind myself not to reflexively slump my shoulders forward in an attempt to minimize the visibility of manboobs.

In short, there's no way to erase the years of conditioning (and trauma) that I put myself through when I was heavier, and it probably wouldn't be a good idea even if I could erase them. Those are the thoughts and memories and reflexes that remind me to log my meals and go to the gym. I think it makes me a stronger person.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    You have only lost 13 lbs. That isn't going to be a dramatic before/after transformation. Try having lost 80 lbs and still feeling that way!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options

I still ocassionally make wide slow turns around corners thinking Im trying to squeeze through an area that I could totally run through with no problem. It DOES get better I swear.

I'd say I agree, and disagree. It gets better but it's always there, at least as a reminder.

Over the course of the last 10 years, I lost about 120 pounds, then I gained back 130 pounds, and have now lost back about 110 pounds. I've been at about the same weight for 2 years now, doing the slow fat burn and muscle build. Some things that I think are going to stay with me forever:

I will always feel like the fat kid. Even though I physically feel much better than I did when I was heavier, I spent too much time as the fat kid to completely divorce myself from that mentality. Plus, I'm still kinda fat. So there's that as well.

When someone farts in the elevator or in line at Subway or on the bus, I will always feel like everyone thinks it was me. I'm not sure if everyone else has had this experience, but I can tell you that for me, it has always seemed like people look at the fat person when they smell a fart. And some people feel much more comfortable letting one rip in a confined space when there is a fat person there for everyone to silently blame it on.

Unless I get surgery, I'm always going to have a muffin top made of skin. This, I believe, will prevent me from ever thinking I'm "thin". And I'll have to wear pants that are 2-4" bigger in the waist to accomodate, although my waist is actually not below-gut anymore, which is nice.

I will also always have stretch marks. Everywhere. They're not going to go away - some people's fade over time, but mine aren't budging. Too much stretching for too long for me.

I will always have to remind myself that when I'm in a crowded bar or some other crowded area, I can squeeze through that gap even though my brain is telling me I can't.

I will always have to remind myself not to reflexively slump my shoulders forward in an attempt to minimize the visibility of manboobs.

In short, there's no way to erase the years of conditioning (and trauma) that I put myself through when I was heavier, and it probably wouldn't be a good idea even if I could erase them. Those are the thoughts and memories and reflexes that remind me to log my meals and go to the gym. I think it makes me a stronger person.

im lost on which part you disagreed with :(
  • gingerjen7
    gingerjen7 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    You have only lost 13 lbs. That isn't going to be a dramatic before/after transformation. Try having lost 80 lbs and still feeling that way!
    If I lost 80 lbs I'd be dead.
  • pants77
    pants77 Posts: 185 Member
    Options

im lost on which part you disagreed with :(

The "getting better" part. :)

It does get better, but the "old you" is never completely gone. I know that's not exactly what you were trying to say, but I wanted to express the idea that there will always be remnants of our former selves that we carry with us, both internally and externally.
  • plushkitten
    plushkitten Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Maybe you just don't see it yet.

One day, you're going to look in the mirror and be like :O
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Stick with it and you will see the difference!
  • tnjackso1
    tnjackso1 Posts: 312 Member
    Options

I still go to the larger women's sizes for clothes...stay encouraged!
  • Colleen118
    Colleen118 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Don't be jealous but rather relish that you didn't have as much to lose. You started out healthier than those of us with 80/90/100+ lbs to lose. That means that you recognized before we did that your health was in jeopardy. Plus, while you are losing weight, you are building muscle so your results are more likely to show in your clothing and how it fits versus on the scale.
  • jerbear1962
    jerbear1962 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    Many of us have hundreds of pounds to lose and you're going to see big diffrences, we're coming from being obese or morbidly obese down to a regular size. So yes you will see differences on us, trust me I don't see as much of the changes on me as others do. I've lost 67 pounds which is basically a 4th grader...and I don't see that much differences.
  • dcat4563
    dcat4563 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    It is probably because you didn't have much to lose. I think if you ask a lot of people who lost a lot of weight, they're going to say it seemed easier to lose in the beginning, or they stalled at the end. At 13 lbs, if you are gaining muscle and loosing fat, it may be a while before the clothes are loose and you can see abs, but just keep working at it because it isn't going to happen if you lose focus.

I would focus on improving health - keep doing what you're doing & I would agree with the folks saying to take some photos. if you are trying to gain muscle, make some muscle poses (which might seem silly if you don't feel muscular, but you otherwise won't be able to compare).
  • RachelSRoach1
    RachelSRoach1 Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I had read somewhere that GENERALLY you had to lose weight for 8 weeks for you to see a difference, 12 weeks for your close friends and family to notice, and 16 weeks for everyone else to notice. I get frustrated too but I try to remind myself of that and work toward that 8 week goal of steady weight loss to see if I agree.
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    Certainly, felt better and all that. BUT, yeah, all I could see was what was left for me to lose and where I was still "fat".

This is totally me!
  • joolstag
    joolstag Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I had read somewhere that GENERALLY you had to lose weight for 8 weeks for you to see a difference, 12 weeks for your close friends and family to notice, and 16 weeks for everyone else to notice. I get frustrated too but I try to remind myself of that and work toward that 8 week goal of steady weight loss to see if I agree.

Good to know! I'm in the same boat as the OP, don't see any difference yet, but it's only been 40 days, so now I have something to look forward to at 56 days.
  • MyPresent
    MyPresent Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I understand exactly how you feel. It is very frustrating not to see a change and as everyone is saying here it is because there is not that much weight to lose in the first place. I think we need to to be patient and don't give up with our ultimate goal.
    Perseverance!
  • Yani51
    Yani51 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    First, count your blessings. With only 20lb to lose you won't have to worry about any loose or sagging skin - and your over half way there.
    Secondly, I'm guessing what may please you would be to work out and tone your body and build some muscle definition instead of just trimming down with dieting. I've seen the results of such a move by a normal weight woman and within about 3 months she had developed that 'wow' factor we all love to see and hear about.