wedding dress disaster

Options

Replies

• thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    Without knowing what the pieces are, what the fabric is, what the dress is supposed to be .... people won't be able to help you.

I do sew. That's why I'm saying this.
  • CarSidDar
    CarSidDar Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I can sew.

I would never sew something that came without the pattern, the instructions, or that someone else cut out.

Do you even have a sewing machine? and I mean a good one, not one that costs $69 at costco.

Seamstress is the way to go if you like the dress (how do you even know what it looks like???)

The dress even after it is sewn will need alterations to fit you, do you have a dress dummy? that is your size? and your shape?

I second the garbage suggestion and the burning suggestion. Those are the best help you can be given.
  • _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    looking for advice from someone thats has made there own wedding dress! wasnt looking for smart *kitten* comments!!!! and actually my soon to be mother in law bought it for me.

This is a sign that she adores you...you know this, right?
  • rbn_held
    rbn_held Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    WIsh I could help you but I have no idea how to sew. I can't even sew on a button lol Good luck with the dress. I hope you find someone who can help you out.
  • Zylahe
    Zylahe Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I'm a tad confussed, whos idea was it to buy the dress?
    I assume that you did look at it and that its the rightt size.
    Was there any sort of pattern to come with it?
    Wether or not u can finish it will depend on several things.
    How many pieces is it in?
    If its 8 or less you may be able to work it out.
    Have you any experience at all with sewing?

Do you have a sewing machine? If not its going to be very difficult.
    You will probably need help from some one with experience and possibly a manequin/ dummy. ( possibly MIL can help )

Fist step is to get out all the pieces and work out what goes where.
    Once you've done that , pin them together ( good sides facing) and sew.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    5946e145-5750-4f87-863a-5323071c48de.jpg

Just got the BEST mental image of the gif showing what happens next...

It's only slightly like this:

cat-launch.gif

OP - sorry, no help to offer. Your MIL sounds kind of cheap :/ If money's a factor, there's always Goodwill, they have tons of wedding dresses... as long as you don't buy into the stigma of having someone else's dress (whole).
  • untouchable86
    Options
    WIsh I could help you but I have no idea how to sew. I can't even sew on a button lol Good luck with the dress. I hope you find someone who can help you out.
    thank you
  • Krizzle4Rizzle
    Krizzle4Rizzle Posts: 2,704 Member
    Options
    I would recommend trying Google.
  • stinkpurty
    Options
    looking for advice from someone thats has made there own wedding dress! wasnt looking for smart *kitten* comments!!!! and actually my soon to be mother in law bought it for me.

I was serious in taking it to a seamstress, they can be quite helpful. You can always say "the seamstress accidentally.........", might be your best bet in getting out of it?? In all honesty, I hope you're able to salvage this with out hurting her feelings. This is not the project you want to start sewing with!

**To buy the equipment you need to make it wwill run about $100 easy unless she gave you a sewing machine which probably won't have the ability to sew it properly.
    she saw me looking at the fabric and knew i had been researching "how to make you own wedding gown".. i think by making it myself it would be a special touch.. the bag contains two dresses.. the top is complete on one of the dresses and the bottom is complete on the other one.. i just need to know how to peice them together.. but im getting no where with all the smartass people on here trying to be funny! i appreciate it everyone! its good to know theres still good hearted people out there!!!

Refer to the classic '80s movie "Pretty in Pink"
  • untouchable86
    Options
    I'm a tad confussed, whos idea was it to buy the dress?
    I assume that you did look at it and that its the rightt size.
    Was there any sort of pattern to come with it?
    Wether or not u can finish it will depend on several things.
    How many pieces is it in?
    If its 8 or less you may be able to work it out.
    Have you any experience at all with sewing?

Do you have a sewing machine? If not its going to be very difficult.
    You will probably need help from some one with experience and possibly a manequin/ dummy. ( possibly MIL can help )

Fist step is to get out all the pieces and work out what goes where.
    Once you've done that , pin them together ( good sides facing) and sew.
    it was her idea! i told her i couldnt do anything with it! i dont want to hurt her feelings tho.
  • monpettitefleur
    Options
    Hi there,

I think it's a great little challenge and how fab would you feel if you did it and made it your own!
    Do you have an old dress that you could carefully take to bits? Really slowly and taking note of what went there (chalking on it ect..)
    Learn how to de-construct something and you will also learn
    How to put it together.

Is there a local craft shop / school or similar that could maybe offer you use of their products and expertise for maybe an odd few hours volunteer work?

Good on you for being up for it, regardless of the final success trying something new is great!
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    I can sew. I've made several items of clothing, costumes, and tailoring. And I am telling you with the most sincere respect to sell these pieces on etsy or craigslist and buy yourself a dress. Wedding dresses are complicated and time consuming on a good day. You will drive yourself absolutely crazy trying to piece together a gown (that you don't even know what it looks like?!)

Seriously - David's Bridal has $99 gown sales several times a year if you don't give a *kitten* about the style of the gown.
  • Becoming_A_Butterfly
    Becoming_A_Butterfly Posts: 2,534 Member
    Options
    she saw me looking at the fabric and knew i had been researching "how to make you own wedding gown".. i think by making it myself it would be a special touch.. the bag contains two dresses.. the top is complete on one of the dresses and the bottom is complete on the other one.. i just need to know how to peice them together.. but im getting no where with all the smartass people on here trying to be funny! i appreciate it everyone! its good to know theres still good hearted people out there!!!

So this is the top of one dress, and the bottom of another dress? I do a lot of sewing and am quite good at it. No one is being smartass by telling you to trash this project. If you don't know how to sew, a wedding gown made up of two separate dresses with no pattern is hardly the place to start. Either be willing to pay someone else a lot of money to make something vaguely resembling a dress out of this mess, or consider it $7 wasted and move on.
  • untouchable86
    Options
    Hi there,

I think it's a great little challenge and how fab would you feel if you did it and made it your own!
    Do you have an old dress that you could carefully take to bits? Really slowly and taking note of what went there (chalking on it ect..)
    How to put it together.

Is there a local craft shop / school or similar that could maybe offer you use of their products and expertise for maybe an odd few hours volunteer work?

Good on you for being up for it, regardless of the final success trying something new is great!
    thank you! :) i will figure something out.. im always up for learning something new.
  • Midnight_Sunshine
    Midnight_Sunshine Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Make curtains.

....for your MIL
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    I can sew. I've made several items of clothing, costumes, and tailoring. And I am telling you with the most sincere respect to sell these pieces on etsy or craigslist and buy yourself a dress. Wedding dresses are complicated and time consuming on a good day. You will drive yourself absolutely crazy trying to piece together a gown (that you don't even know what it looks like?!)

Seriously - David's Bridal has $99 gown sales several times a year if you don't give a *kitten* about the style of the gown.

That's true. Also, if you go around this time and closer to December, they are putting the styles from the past year on sale to make room for the new dresses.

I got my wedding dress for $200.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

How to put it together.

thank you! :) i will figure something out.. im always up for learning something new.

So essentially you weren't really looking for help, you just want people to validate your desire to try to make your own dress. And that's okay, but don't expect folks educated in this hobby to appease you.
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I can sew.

I would never sew something that came without the pattern, the instructions, or that someone else cut out.

Do you even have a sewing machine? and I mean a good one, not one that costs $69 at costco.

Seamstress is the way to go if you like the dress (how do you even know what it looks like???)

The dress even after it is sewn will need alterations to fit you, do you have a dress dummy? that is your size? and your shape?

I second the garbage suggestion and the burning suggestion. Those are the best help you can be given.
    This is great advice. Take it to a seamstress. They may not even want to deal with it, but if you don't know how to sew, then I'd suggest you take it where someone does know!
  • monpettitefleur
    Options
    Ive just looked on YouTube.....search for how to make a wedding dress and comes up with lots of different options :)
  • bombedpop
    bombedpop Posts: 2,183 Member
    Options

pretty+in+pink+after.jpg
    Let me get this straight, you want to figure how to make this?