running at 5am?

Options
OK... so I used to run frequently at 6-630 every morning for 30 minutes but now my new job requires me to wake up earlier and commute - and i have to leave the house at 615am.. any later and the traffic is really awful... for some reason (and i don't live in a bad area at all) i'm a little intimidated about waking up an hour or so earlier to go run...

does anyone else go running OUTSIDE at 5am? advice? suggestions? i miss my running and running after work could happen but i usually have an even longer commute home 90 minutes or so and i have to grade work or something of the sort..(i'm a teacher)

help. i'm slipping.

Replies

• emacb123
    emacb123 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I'm up and out at 5am for my run! It is so dark out now, but also so serene. I live in a big city so it is not pitch black or anything, and I'm on sidewalks and crossing streets and such and I love that no one is in my way at that time in the morning. Occasionally, i come across kids who are still partying from the night before (crazy kids!! LOL)

I say go for it! For me it is TOTAL me-time. In fact, when i go running later in the day when people are out and about I get annoyed when I have to bob-and-weave around them (usually I'll drive to the park cause a late running day is a non-work day for me).

Hope this helps to motivate you!
  • tammihart
    tammihart Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I get up and run at 5am, 3 times a week. Go for it!
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I used to, wish I still could. Now my kids are up at around 5:30am and I'm needed at home at that time.
    I actually used to wake up at 4am twice a week and run 10 miles with a friend who had to be at work by 7am.
    You can get used to it, if you want to; you'll just have to go to bed earlier!
    We used to listen to a favorite loud song real quick before starting off to get us in the mood.
  • runnninginmd
    Options
    I am out running by 4:45 am every weekday morning. When I lived in the city it wasn't bad at all because the streets were well lit and there were a lot of people out. I'm in the suburbs now so things are a bit darker, but I just try to wear bright clothing. I had a couple of run-ins with dogs lately so I started carrying pepper spray just in case something happens, but I am hoping I never actually need to use it. It just makes me feel a little safer!

It can be tough to get up so early every morning, but I just love the way I feel after and the rest of the day so it really helps! I also sleep in my sports bra and running shirt and have my shorts and shoes laid out and ready to go.
  • wholenewme03
    wholenewme03 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I run at 5! For safety, please invest in something that lights up or something reflective, and if a car looks like it's stopping for you, don't assume that it is really stopping (I almost got hit by a truck 2 days ago). Other than that, I love my early morning runs. It feels like I'm the only person in town and I get to see the world before everyone else :)
  • KrysGettinFit
    KrysGettinFit Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I used to get up at 4:30 and run and I loved it! We had to move and I don't really like to run in the dark in my new neighborhood, I'm hoping I'll be able to get back to it soon. Good luck!
  • HRCephei
    HRCephei Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I run 4x a week always between 5 and 530. It takes a bit to adjust, but eventually you get used to it.
  • melindadunston
    Options
    I am a runner and when I run through out the week I get up at 450am and run. It sucks getting up that early but once I am done I am so glad I did it! Good Luck!
  • amymichelle1226
    amymichelle1226 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I used to run at around 6 -6:30 too but now it's dark out at that time....and I could definitely be up and running at that time or even earlier but it freaks me out to run in the dark. Maybe if I wasn't going by myself! I figure if I'm going to exercise before work, it'll be Zumba Wii or the 30 day shred...something at home!
  • vicmonster
    vicmonster Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I think safety first and it depends on where. Could you run near your work before you commute home?
  • darkmouzy
    darkmouzy Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I get up at 4:00am to run at 4:30 because I have school in the mornings :)
  • claire_90
    Options
    out of interest, for those who exercise anytime before 6am... what time do you sleep? I used to go to a bootcamp class 6am - 7am and I needed a nap by 3pm, I was always wrecked! with other commitments I really need to start exercising earlier again so just curious :)
  • christinehetz80
    christinehetz80 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    If you can (easier said than done) find a running buddy. Or take your dog if its at least a medium sized dog. Wear bright colors or reflectors are even better and buy yourself runners pepper spray. It fastens on to your hand so you don't have to fumble for it if you need it but stays out of your way for the running. Good Luck....I'm the biggest scaredy cat so I know how you feel. (btw helpful ways to find running buddies join a weekend running club, or go to the "clinics" that your local running store has)
  • marias2gaa
    marias2gaa Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Im up at 5 am as well. Advice? I take a bat with me just in case anyone tries to get frisky with me. lol. :laugh:
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I don't mind running, but I am not a morning person! If you are and you can do it, good for you!!!!
  • HealthiHannah
    HealthiHannah Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I would say make the change before you get out of your routine altogether!

As far as not feeling safe though, I always bring along my cell phone along with me. I know in the long run that might not be of any use, but it does make me feel safer. I also tell someone (usually my husband) to call me if I'm not back by my expected time -- you can even put track my phone (on iphone) anyway, so that they can even follow you as you run --- ok, sounds creepy, but again, makes me feel safe knowing that my hubby can pinpoint my GPS! Otherwise, maybe get up just a bit earlier still and find a less scary place to run?

Either way, good luck, and like I said, I would go for it before you lose a routine, its always harder to start back up!
  • Stpjudge
    Stpjudge Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I don't like to run in the dark so now that it is a little cooler I'm going to start (today) running during my lunch hour. I get extra sleep, have a break from work, but still get in my exercise. It's a win-win for everyone!
  • Muscles_Curves
    Muscles_Curves Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Wow! I'm not operational at all at that time. I salute all of you. :drinker: If you don't feel safe running at that time, would an after work run be possible?
  • fasttrack27
    Options
    I mostly go to the gym at 5 but occasionally run outside with a friend first before spin class or boot camp class. Yes it sucks getting up that early and I dislike always being tired in the afternoon but its the only time to fit it in and I'm still always glad I did. For advise I would say to try to find a partner to run with (for safety as well as motivation) and get those blinking lights to clip on yourself. I got mine on sale from a bike shop. They can be mounted on a bike OR clipped on your clothes
  • Tsoper
    Tsoper Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I run 3 times a week at 5:15 am. I was surprised by how many other runners I see out at that time too. I live in a pretty good area too, but I do carry my cell phone with me just in case. It's a pain to carry around but it makes me feel better. I also wear bright clothes, I want to make sure that the sleepy drivers out at that time see me! One interesting piece of advice I got from a police officer was to carry some cash with you. He said that most small time criminals will be happy with $5 and will leave you alone if you give them cash. Be safe & happy running!