Exercise Anxiety?

Options

Replies

• Weebs628
    Weebs628 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I've been doing the 30 days shred and I freaking DO NOT look forward to it. I think Jillian Michaels is your problem. I balance 30DS out with running and dancing which I enjoy.
  • agataarchangel
    agataarchangel Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I find that I get this problem when I don't change my routine often enough; you know what you're in for, it's predictable, and you dread the exact same thing/strain every day you workout.

My remedy is to take a rest day, or change it up or do something new or different if the thought of your next workout is stressing you out.

Do you normally find yourself doing the same thing each time you're at the gym, regardless of your schedule? Same machines, same length of time, same resistance settings/weights etc...?
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    Yeah it's a good chance you are just getting bored, find something else to do. I really like group workouts because it's a social thing for me to. Not only do I look forward to the workout, but I look forward to catching up with the same group of ladies every Tuesday and Thursday morning. So if I skip the workout not only am I letting myself down, but I kind of feel like I'm letting them down too because I'm not there to help motivate.
  • newhabit
    newhabit Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    any way you can do something else while you're exercising so it doesn't seem too bad... like watching tv or something?
  • CADreaming09
    CADreaming09 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way. I have been doing JM's dvd's too and I like them, but hate her sometimes!

Maybe incorporate something else into your workouts. I am trying this tomorrow. I want to try and go for jog, instead of JM. Also have an eliptical and sometimes get on that.
  • agataarchangel
    Options
    During the workout, I hate every minute. I keep telling myself I can't do this and I want to stop.

Note, this has not once stopped me from working out, but I feel all the negativity is going to hurt me in the long run. I haven't yet found any exercise that I really enjoy doing, so I'm sure that is part of the problem.

Wow, welcome to exercise! Get used to it. This is how real life is. Not everyone loves exercise. You're not entitled to a fit body. Are you serious? Grow up and change your attitude. This would make your life a hell of a lot easier. Wow.

:wink: :flowerforyou:

Sorry, but I don't agree with this. Exercise SHOULD be challenging, but not something you dread when you think of it.... Everyone could find a form of exercise they like that they can make challenging with the addition of more resistance/weights etc.... and not dread. Why force yourself to do something you HATE? The rebellious teenager in you would refuse to workout after a while altogether, and you'd develop a very unhealthy attitude towards health/exercise! IMO...
  • yowza101
    yowza101 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I fight myself every day to work out, especially in the morning - since the mornings now are chilly, I just want to stay in bed. Buttttttttt I have to realize that the only way this weight is going to get off is by me and no one else. When I used to work in the hospital here, I'm not a nurse though, all the hospital staff could use the exercise room they had for patients. It had tread mills, bikes, ect. That was wonderful. Then in the back of the hospital was a small walk park, 4 walks around it was a mile. I had meal bars and kept fruit to have for my lunch so that I can eat that when I returned.

Even now at this job, they have a walk trail close by. Before I started having foot problems the last two weeks, I would walk 30-45 minutes on that plus do my exercises at home. If you get outside and take a nice brisk walk then do that. Like you, I'm not thrilled about working out but when it's done I say...thank you Leslie Sansone....hahahahahahaha.
  • sarah1334
    sarah1334 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I know that feeling. I joined a gym with a TV on every exercise machine, so I can watch whatever I want while I work out. It keeps me distracted so I don't think too much about how much pain I'm in (haha). We got rid of cable in our apartment, so if I want to watch my favorite shows, guess where I have to go? It just makes working out more fun for me. Obviously this is only works for the cardio portion of my workout... but still. It's nice.

Not sure if you belong to a gym or if you would be interested in joining one, but maybe look around?
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Exercise requires planning, takes time, and it's not always pleasant. You're always wondering if you're pushing yourself enough or too much. Should you stick with this workout or try something else? Although you're working hard, you'll never look as good as some people, and you'll get old. ... It can be quite stressful.

At least you're doing it. Try to make it as pleasant as possible with gadgets, music, record-keeping, whatever works for you. Appreciate the results.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Maybe I'm just doing too many Jillian Michaels' dvds!

Yikes! That would make me avoid exercise.... never kept a Jillian DVD (I tried several).

Change it up. I have dozens of exercise videos ... so for a few weeks I'm into one thing .... then I move on. collagevideo.com is an excellent way to preview DVDs - video clips & reviews help you narrow it down.

Try renting "new" ones from your library. Netflix (by mail) has hundreds of workout videos. Find something you enjoy doing.
  • xxthoroughbred
    xxthoroughbred Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    During the workout, I hate every minute. I keep telling myself I can't do this and I want to stop.

Note, this has not once stopped me from working out, but I feel all the negativity is going to hurt me in the long run. I haven't yet found any exercise that I really enjoy doing, so I'm sure that is part of the problem.

Wow, welcome to exercise! Get used to it. This is how real life is. Not everyone loves exercise. You're not entitled to a fit body. Are you serious? Grow up and change your attitude. This would make your life a hell of a lot easier. Wow.

Sorry, but I don't agree with this. Exercise SHOULD be challenging, but not something you dread when you think of it.... Everyone could find a form of exercise they like that they can make challenging with the addition of more resistance/weights etc.... and not dread. Why force yourself to do something you HATE? The rebellious teenager in you would refuse to workout after a while altogether, and you'd develop a very unhealthy attitude towards health/exercise! IMO...

Just a little payback for some *kitten* I got earlier. Those are her words so she'll agree with them if she's not a hypocrite.:smile:
  • rjsehm5
    rjsehm5 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Exercising in the morning works for me best....less excuses to get out of it.

Also, I reward myself when I work out. For example, I love the sauna so if I complete my workout, my treat is the sauna afterwards. If I am at home and do a DVD, I tell myself if I can complete all week and give it 100% I will get a pedicure. Be creative and reward yourself...it can be with something that doesn't cost you a thing like maybe visiting someone special or just even window shopping for ideas for xmas or when you reach a goal.

But most important you do need to do something you enjoy so it becomes something you can maybe not look forward to but at least not dread. Good luck!
  • jgm379
    jgm379 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way alot. My every waking minute is so busy and I dont want to spend my only extra time working out. I always feel great afterward, but sometimes the motivation I lack. I do something different every day so I wont get bored, but I think being pressed for time makes me lose motivation.
  • Pandasarecool
    Pandasarecool Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I ve the same problem so bad that all day before I do my exercise, I cannot concentrate on anything at all except the fact that I am dreading exercise...
  • agataarchangel
    Options

Just a little payback for some *kitten* I got earlier. Those are her words so she'll agree with them if she's not a hypocrite.:smile:

Lol. I see. I shall stay outta this one ;-).
  • 2012asv
    2012asv Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Yes I used to feel this way in the beginning when I would force myself to do workouts I didn't enjoy. Have you tried other forms of exercise? Like zumba, dancing, sports, etc? I got sick of Jillian's video after 3 weeks.
  • TheeGeeMarie
    TheeGeeMarie Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    hmm try some of these tips:

-working out with a friend
    -doing classes you like (zumba or some type of dance, water aerobics, pilates, and my fave is yoga)
    -bring a book or magazine to the gym to read while on the machines. Don't let yourself read it at home, only treat yourself to it while working out
    -work out to music and keep the selection fresh
    -meet people at the gym so you look forward to seeing them (probably not gonna happen if you're shy. My friend thinks its so weird I've been going 2 months and know so many people and she might know 3 people by name including employees and She has been a member 10+ years. I can't help that I'm a chatterbox :-P
    -try every machine, every sport, every exercise you can think of until you find something you enjoy. Seriously, there must be something active you enjoy. People even do pole-dancing for exercise nowadays. There's gotta be something to strike your fancy!

Otherwise just keep up the good work sticking to it even if you hate every single second.

The third tip on this list has really worked for me in the past when I go through stages of really not wanting to work out. Instead of a book or magazine though, I've downloaded audiobooks to my iPod. When I find a really good, suspenseful book, I will be itching to go work out just so I can find out what happens next. I also find myself working out for much longer than I would otherwise. The trick of course is to not let yourself listen to it unless you're working out.
  • hiker359
    hiker359 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Work out in the morning...get it done and over with so you don't stress about it all day. All that anxiety isn't good for you.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    You obviously don't like your workout. Do something else.

I found myself dreading my workouts (WHICH I LOVE), and realized it wasn't the workouts at all. It was the damn gym. I hated the people who took it over and ran it into the ground. Now I have a gym I do like. Problem solved.

ETA: I hate the Shred. I hate circuit training. I ADORE weight-lifting. I'm a bit of a proselytizer. Ok, I'm a MAJOR proselytizer. Not only is it transforming my body, I get an endorphin rush from it that I'm sure is about like the endorphin rush I'm supposed to experience running but have never had. I'm usually happy and giggling and proud of myself and looking forward to my hot shower when I'm done.
  • edzigler
    edzigler Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I enjoy working out with the Wii Fit ... you can change it up daily to keep it interesting.. I also try to walk & ride daily !