Running and coyotes

Options
I posted a couple days ago about running in the dark and some of our dangers here. Well this morning one of those dangers became all to real :( I was running about a mile and half from my house near my best friends house (in a very suburban neighbor hood) and there is an open field on one side of the field well in the under brush I saw two small dark dog like figures running one about six feet ahead of me and one parallel to me. I started making every big deep noise I could think of and coughing and turned and headed home (thank god a car drove between us or I doubt they would have been very detoured) cototes in our area are known for attacking runners. What do y'all do to stave off coyotes?

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    That's surprising. Usually they are timid little *kitten* and attacks are... rare.
    Coyotes don't like noise. How about an air horn?
  • elprincipito
    elprincipito Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    oh snap
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    I shoot at them
  • OneFitDude16
    Options
    if they attack they arent that big just pound the crap out of them
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Just run with someone that is slower than you. Then you don't have to outrun the coyotes. :laugh:
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    Don't say "meep meep"...that attracts them.
  • elprincipito
    elprincipito Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I shoot at them
    why shoot at them in their territory lol seems sleazy.
  • bpwparents
    bpwparents Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    carry a whistle
  • mrsains
    mrsains Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Good idea to be wary of them! Not sure where you're from, but here in Canada there was a story out east awhile back where a woman was attacked (and died from the injuries) by coyotes on a hike. Mind you, it is rare for them to attack a human, but if they are desperately hungry or ill, they may. Best be on your guard!
  • tnmyers23
    tnmyers23 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Time to invest in a handgun! If they are that gutsy what about the kids in the yards. Or a less expensive way is pepper spray and I saw one that is made to be held while you run!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    I am in CANADA, and i love to run in the dark,,, i see foxes and wolves and raccoons,,,and so many bunnies.....
  • bigaris911
    Options
    if they attack they arent that big just pound the crap out of them

yea and then stand in the middle of the street!!! gimme a break this is the worst advise Ive ever heard hope it was a joke!! I would pick another spot to run or run closer to civilization. Forget the size.... there bites can bring diseases and I would not chance that... FYI: I am 6"6 390lbs and pretty f'n strong. Dont mess with wild animals!
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Wolfs are one thing, coyotes, I wouldn't be to worried. They're usually under 50 lbs and rarely in packs greater than 2-3. A few kicks and punches in the snout and they'd disperse pretty quick.
  • melduf
    melduf Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Just run with someone that is slower than you. Then you don't have to outrun the coyotes. :laugh:

That's a good idea... until you're the one being picked because you're slow x__x
  • FitzyFitzpatrick
    FitzyFitzpatrick Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I fear the same thing...and javalinas too! (Nasty pig-like things with tusks!) I walk at 4:30am and am constantly jingling my waterbottle carabiner to ward them off. I plan to get something more clattery to make noise when I walk! I really don't think they'll attack, but it's more proactive to scare them off first.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    Wolfs are one thing, coyotes, I wouldn't be to worried. They're usually under 50 lbs and rarely in packs greater than 2-3. A few kicks and punches in the snout and they'd disperse pretty quick.

You can't be serious

I mean yeah bro I punch coyotes in the nose all the time, works great. Sometimes I poke them in the eye with my finger
  • Stac2004
    Stac2004 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    We have coyotes in Illinois. They rarely ever go after people. I've encountered some in Illinois and running out in Phoenix. I was freaked out at first, but read up on a website if they ever do approach you (again very rare) stand your ground, face them, wave your arms and make loud noises.

http://web.extension.illinois.edu/wildlife/files/recommendations_for_dealing_with_coyotes.pdf
  • jellebeandesigns
    jellebeandesigns Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I live in Colorado in a ten mile radius we get at least one runner attack every two weeks, more for dogs and people with dogs
  • BleauBlayzes
    Options
    SHOOTING is out of the question people, it is a suburban area. Pepper spray would be a good choice, but get the kind that has the control cap (finger can only go in one way so you don't spray yourself). A knife may also be a possibility if you can legally carry one in case they get close or past the pepper spray. We have coyotes out here too, but we live in the country. I do carry a weapon when I am out as a precaution, but I still worry about shooting because I never know if someone is walking in the woods or one of the homeowners that live close may be outside. You may also want to report it to the authorities, sometimes (here anyway) they will trap and relocate or eliminate the problem.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I run with flashing lights on (little clip on red and white bike taillights).
    It's kept them away for me.