Running and coyotes

Options
12346»

Replies

• PBsMommy
    PBsMommy Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    They attack people with dogs? Man, that is not like coyotes at all. Are they diseased? Food source gone?

Sorry off topic and not trying to hijack post.....

Around where I live, they have gone ccccrrrraaazzzyyy. They are breeding with domesticated stray dogs. They are bigger and way more territorial. They also run with just more than 2-3, like a previous poster said. My dad has a pack that stay in an old abandoned barn beside his pasture and there are twenty of them easy, if not way more. One of the bigger ones came into his yard quite a few times and has tried to attack my dad's Doberman. On top of that, rabies is going wild around here. This has been going on for a few years if not more, because when I still lived with him, I wouldn't run at night or early in the morning for that exact reason.
  • laureltn
    laureltn Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Even though this subject is very serious and we should all be sure we run in a safe environment, I just have to say that now every time I see the Geico commercial with the lizard, the coyote and the "meep, meep," I think of this thread and start laughing.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    On this morning's run we saw two coyotes, 3 bunnies, and, yes a roadrunner.

No one bothered us. :-)
  • TropicalFlowerz
    TropicalFlowerz Posts: 1,990 Member
    Options
    Theye are all around our house,..(southern C.A.,..in the mountains),.....air horn,or whistle sounds about right,.or if yur walking carry a big stick!
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I grew up with coyotes as pets we raised them as babies when dad accidentally hit their mom with the car. They really are skittish animals and probably more fearful of you than them. I agree with the poster that said ferrel dogs are more a danger. I run with a gun but coyotes have never threatened me like other animals. Any noise at all generally scares wild animals away. Be safe and if you are that worried run in daylight or get a big dog to scare them off too.
  • NaurielR
    NaurielR Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    They attack people with dogs? Man, that is not like coyotes at all. Are they diseased? Food source gone?
    They're probably going after people with smaller dogs. To coyotes, small dogs are just a nice little snack. I doubt that they'd go after a large dog.

I speaking from the zoological experience, I recommend pepper spray. I interned at a zoo, and that's what the keepers wore when they were around large, dangerous animals. When we did maintenance on the coyote exhibit, they were in there with us and the pepper spray was a precaution.

Pepper spray is also small and easy to carry. It'll certainly deter the coyotes and teach them to stay away from people, but at the same time it will not cause any lasting damage. Its also relatively inexpensive, and I'm fairly certain its legal in most areas.
  • jellebeandesigns
    jellebeandesigns Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    The Ones around here have been known to fight big dogs too, one went after my pit a few years back, this is by all means our own fault for building on their homes. I started running with a head lamp and I saw a raccoon today, yesterday I saw a white fox (sooo gorgeous) and a pack of coyotes on its way back to its den (4 or 5 of them) they didn't see me and if they did they didn't acknowledge me (I was up on a hill looking down) it was super cool. I'm still worried about more aggressive packs and the larger alpha males but I'm getting an air horn and for now have a coyote whistle
  • fldiver97
    fldiver97 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I live in a smallish town and my backyard slopes into a stretch of conservancy. We have coyotes (and other wildlife) here. I have seen coyotes that live in a pack nearby come all the way up to the driveway and I have seen them right behind the fence in the backyard. I have also encountered one or two on a rare occasion on the trail while walking close to dusk. We have a middle school and a high school nearby too. Usually the coyotes leave when they see me (or other humans) but occasionally they don't seem to be afraid. So far I have not had problems, they have always taken off once I started talking. But then I always run/walk with my dosg too...she is a big gal, malamute......I have not heard about any attacks on humans around here but some small dogs that were left out in yards or tied out have been attacked. I have backyard chickens but have a 5 foot chainlink fence, very secure coop and roofed run and the chooks only range during daylight hours. So far no coyote has preyed on them (in over 3 years)
  • timboom1
    timboom1 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    If you can, carry 2 or 3 decent throwing rocks, slow down a bit, make noise and start throwing. Coyotes that get that close needs to be hazed into staying away from people or at some point they will be taken out after they do attack a person.
  • Marc713
    Marc713 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Contact Acme & get a safe to magically drop on them : http://www.acmesafenewyork.com/

They are very much like dogs in that they can sense your fear. If you run from them, they will instinctually stalk you. The best thing to do is stand your ground or even charge them if they have plenty of room behind them to flee & not be cornered. Act like a predator, not a meal. Maybe get a light aluminium cane/pipe/stick to run with.

I would be interested to know if the people that were attacked were running away from them? I know runners get pounced by mountain lions in some areas. Sounds like a good situation to own a pit bull or a mastiff =)

Personally, you "could" carry a gun, they make some rat shot rounds that are like little shotgun shells. They would be fine since they don't have much range and could not penetrate a residence. It wouldn't even kill the coyote, it would just scare the crap out of them. Maybe stock up on some firecrackers?
  • jellebeandesigns
    jellebeandesigns Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I have a pit bull, should I feed her to them cus that's all she's good for she's not scary or super big. I got mase although a couple weeks ago they were hiding beneath my truck :yikes: I've seen one sense and it didn't bother me a touch