Stupide Question: How to Like Veggies?

Options
13»

Replies

• AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it's all about how it's prepared, and you might find that you like some veggies raw, some steamed, some roasted, and some only if they are covered in sauce or pureed into a soup.

I try it raw - if I don't like it that way, i try steamed, and I keep trying different methods til I find the one I like. But Many MANY veggies taste awesome if they are roasted a little in the oven - seems to enhance the natural flavor and make bitter ones taste more sweet.

Enjoy!
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    So I am committed to trying a new veggie every week (a SERIOUS downfall of mine).

The problem is I know I won't like them plain. I was going to get the steamfresh stuff so it is quick but I was wondering what I can put on them or how to make them more appealing.

I have green beans and snap peas coming up as examples. I should really give broccoli another try. Etc.

Suggestions?

EDIT: And of course the kitten helped me type so I have an "e" on stupid...*sigh*

Spices. Try fresh herbs and many suggestions already listed. Keep trying until you find what you like. Some will give some people "G boms", I can't eat broccoli for that reason although I love creamy broccoli soup I had to X that one off the list.

Have fun! Eating healthy is fun. It's funny because I have hundreds of people stalking my food diary and I always say all that matters is calories, and for weight loss a calorie deficit. Nothing else matters for weight loss. Eating healthy does not cause weight loss, it just makes you healthier and feel better. Eating too much healthy food makes you fat too. I was the most obese when I was a 100% organic fanatic to the extreme. Anyway someone ask yesterday "If calories is all that matters why do you eat so clean?". LOL Well just because calories are all that matters does not mean you have to eat junk! LOL

While one size does not fit all my tips seem to be helping a lot of people. My full story here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/740340-i-lost-60-lbs-at-age-51-anyone-can-any-workout
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    There is no ONE exact recipe that will make you like veggies.

I disagree, the one exact recipe that will make you like veggies is to dip them in chocolate; of course, that probably defeats the purpose of eating them in the first place.

LOL! Why didn't I think of that? I like chocolate "everything else" :embarassed:
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Most veggies are good roasted. Cut them into bite-sized pieces, coat with a little olive or grape seed oil (both are good fats) and season with salt, pepper and your favorite herbs (rosemary is excellent), pop in to the oven at 350 until tender. YUM! So far I tried and enjoyed, potatoes, sweet potatoes, red and yellow beets, (keep red beets separate as the juices bleed onto other veggies) asparagus, Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, broccoli, carrots, squash and zucchini.

*tip: line the pan with foil for super-easy clean up.

* Olive and grape seed oil are very similar nutrition and calories. My personal favorite is grape seed because it has a lighter flavor, therefore letting the taste of the veggies and seasonings come through better.
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Cheese
    Seasoned Salt
    Mrs. Dash

Once you learn to like them, you can start weaning off the unnecessary additions. The only veggie I hate are the common little round green peas. I'd rather not see one on my plate, but I've learned to ignore them if there only a few mixed with lots of other veggies.
  • BodyRockerVT
    BodyRockerVT Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    So I am committed to trying a new veggie every week (a SERIOUS downfall of mine).

The problem is I know I won't like them plain. I was going to get the steamfresh stuff so it is quick but I was wondering what I can put on them or how to make them more appealing.

I have green beans and snap peas coming up as examples. I should really give broccoli another try. Etc.

Suggestions?

EDIT: And of course the kitten helped me type so I have an "e" on stupid...*sigh*

Spices. Try fresh herbs and many suggestions already listed. Keep trying until you find what you like. Some will give some people "G boms", I can't eat broccoli for that reason although I love creamy broccoli soup I had to X that one off the list.

Have fun! Eating healthy is fun. It's funny because I have hundreds of people stalking my food diary and I always say all that matters is calories, and for weight loss a calorie deficit. Nothing else matters for weight loss. Eating healthy does not cause weight loss, it just makes you healthier and feel better. Eating too much healthy food makes you fat too. I was the most obese when I was a 100% organic fanatic to the extreme. Anyway someone ask yesterday "If calories is all that matters why do you eat so clean?". LOL Well just because calories are all that matters does not mean you have to eat junk! LOL

While one size does not fit all my tips seem to be helping a lot of people. My full story here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/740340-i-lost-60-lbs-at-age-51-anyone-can-any-workout

Yea, at this point I am in maintenance anyway so I don't even need weight loss, I just need to eat better and get some vitamins from a source OTHER than an OTC vitamin.
  • AnneM69
    Options
    I sauteed asparagus with green onion and new garlic , and Maggi seasoning the other day. Yum! Asparagus are only 99c a bunch for the thin spears from Aldi this week, and I've got another 2 bunches to cook this weekend.
    I heated some olive oil in non-stick fry pan, I added the roughly cut onion and garlic (cut up and cook most of the stalks too) and a small pinch of salt. I cut the woody ends off the asparagus spears, and cut them into 5 cm lengths, sauteed them with the onion and garlic, added enough water to just about cover them, and a few dashes of Maggi seasoning, and boiled it until the sauce reduces and coats all the veges.
  • jessicawrites
    jessicawrites Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Some of my favorites are peas gently smashed with mint and lemon, spinach sauteed with garlic and red pepper flakes, and stuffed red peppers (you want to eat the pepper because it's such a cute cup for the rest of the meal!).
  • steph0924
    steph0924 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I need help too! Good topic!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Toss them in oil and spices and roast until carmelized. Most vegetables are good this way.

Stir fry is also a great way to enjoy vegetables, and super quick and easy. Or add them to soups, stews, chili, omeletes and/or pizza.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    One thing to watch with the steamfresh's... Don't get the ones with sauces. Sodium is RIDICULOUS. My favorite steamfresh's are broccoli, broccoli/cauliflower, green beans, peas, carrots. These all make great recipe buddies. I throw them in whatever kind of sauces/spices I'm using in my dinner and they go great.

The best veggie recipe I have is to throw some chopped up fresh veggies (peppers, green beans, mushrooms, garlic, tomatoes, whatever you like) in with some pasta while it's boiling and put whatever sauce on that you like on your pasta. Makes yummy (and filling) pasta dish. I like to pair them with low carb pasta- using the veggies allows you to cut the pasta serving in half and still feel like you're eating alot!

Another I like is to get a mix of fresh veggies chopped up and pan fry them in a little low-sodium veggie broth and garlic. Season with whatever seasonings you like. I could eat a huge pan of veggies that way and still want more
  • BodyRockerVT
    BodyRockerVT Posts: 323 Member
    Options

Another I like is to get a mix of fresh veggies chopped up and pan fry them in a little low-sodium veggie broth and garlic. Season with whatever seasonings you like. I could eat a huge pan of veggies that way and still want more

That is a good idea. I DO like regular round peas cooked in the pan with some parm cheese, pasta, and bacon (mmm bacon). Maybe I should try a few other veggies in there too.
  • danae16
    danae16 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    OK - here's a question. Please don't laugh too hard - I'm a horrible cook. How does everyone steam and roast veggies? I can grill veggies but I don't know the techniques you are talking about. Like I said....don't laugh too hard. :)