Article Says Protein Shakes Not Good for dieters

Options
I just started lifting and my trainer recommends a protein shake before and after any workout. I found that I like it and that it seems to suppress my appetite later in the day (livestrong also says this). Maybe its that I "feel" I am taking better care of my body and don't want to eat bad stuff. So, I'm going to keep taking my protein shakes in spite of this article. Would like to hear others opinions.

QUOTED FROM JOHN TESS:
If you’re trying to lose weight on a high protein diet - or build bigger muscles at the gym using protein pills, powders and shakes – listen up. New research shows that excess protein can do more harm than good! The fact is: There’s only so much protein the human body can handle and the more protein you ingest, the harder your system has to work to get rid of it. Which can cause all kinds of side effects like:
Lower back pain and kidney damage. Excess protein makes your body produce extra ammonia and urea. And when your kidneys are forced to work overtime to get rid of the unwanted chemicals, they start aching and that can eventually lead to kidney damage.

Experiencing flu-like symptoms. Studies show that too much protein can drastically increase sweating and urination, which increases your risk of dehydration. So, you may feel tired and achy.

Nausea and liver damage. According to the American Heart Association, a high-protein, low-carb diet can cause ketosis. That’s when you’re not getting enough carbs to fuel your body. So, it begins to break down fat to use as fuel. That may sound good. But the more fat you break down, the more toxic chemicals called ketones show up in your bloodstream and when your liver is trying to filter out all those ketones, it can become damaged.

What’s the fix? Researchers say that most people get plenty of protein from their regular diet. And they recommend you not ingest more than twice the daily protein recommendation, which is 2 ounces for men, and an ounce-and-a-half for women.

Replies

• BetterCrazyThanLazy
    Options
    But how much is too much? That's the question....

Anyone?
  • jesusHchris
    jesusHchris Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    No more than 56 grams of protein for men? It would be interesting to see what research they are talking about. This goes against all professional advice I have personally received as well as all research I have done on my own.

I do agree that you can over do it on the protein, but I would think that the adverse effects are lack of energy (not enough carbs) and your body simply not utilizing the excess for building muscles as you would like.

Edit: To clarify, I am with the others in calling this out as bull.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Definitely crap. Especially the bit about ketosis being toxic.

Excess protein is likely in the 500-700g range,.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    I love a protein shake for breakfast and not willing to give it up. :noway:
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    Do you have the link to this article? Just curious and would like to read it in full even though I really think it is bull.
    Thanks for sharing it though!!:smile:
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    This guy has no idea what he's talking about. Assuming you aren't eating 3-4 grams per pound LBM I don't see any reason why those would be issues.
  • TexasTroy
    TexasTroy Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    total bunk. your body doesnt have a limit on what it can and cannot take it or use...what it doent use it simply gets rid of or its stored.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Link to article to see if he provides any references as to what is considered "too much protein"?

I hate this type of diet scaremongering when dosage and context is totally ignored.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I just started lifting and my trainer recommends a protein shake before and after any workout. I found that I like it and that it seems to suppress my appetite later in the day (livestrong also says this). Maybe its that I "feel" I am taking better care of my body and don't want to eat bad stuff. So, I'm going to keep taking my protein shakes in spite of this article. Would like to hear others opinions.

QUOTED FROM JOHN TESS:
    If you’re trying to lose weight on a high protein diet - or build bigger muscles at the gym using protein pills, powders and shakes – listen up. New research shows that excess protein can do more harm than good! The fact is: There’s only so much protein the human body can handle and the more protein you ingest, the harder your system has to work to get rid of it. Which can cause all kinds of side effects like:
    Lower back pain and kidney damage. Excess protein makes your body produce extra ammonia and urea. And when your kidneys are forced to work overtime to get rid of the unwanted chemicals, they start aching and that can eventually lead to kidney damage.

Experiencing flu-like symptoms. Studies show that too much protein can drastically increase sweating and urination, which increases your risk of dehydration. So, you may feel tired and achy.

Nausea and liver damage. According to the American Heart Association, a high-protein, low-carb diet can cause ketosis. That’s when you’re not getting enough carbs to fuel your body. So, it begins to break down fat to use as fuel. That may sound good. But the more fat you break down, the more toxic chemicals called ketones show up in your bloodstream and when your liver is trying to filter out all those ketones, it can become damaged.

What’s the fix? Researchers say that most people get plenty of protein from their regular diet. And they recommend you not ingest more than twice the daily protein recommendation, which is 2 ounces for men, and an ounce-and-a-half for women.

While there isn't evidence of high protein diets being bad for healthy individuals, why are you taking protein shakes pre and post workout? Is it strictly for satiety?
  • T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    But the more fat you break down, the more toxic chemicals called ketones show up in your bloodstream and when your liver is trying to filter out all those ketones, it can become damaged.
    So now it's not healthy to burn off fat, somebody hit me with a box of Twinkies, I don't want liver damage.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    WOW! I don't know what to believe as far as protein goes, but as for John Tesh: If you attempted to follow ALL the advice he offers, you would quickly become a neurotic mysophobe.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    For those looking, this appears to be the link to the original article: http://www.tesh.com/story/health-and-well-being-category/skip-that-protein-shake-if-you-want-to-lose-weight/cc/6/id/23108

No studies cited, no extra details given.
  • rhall9058
    rhall9058 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I also had this concern when I started taking so much protein. So through my research (and noticing changes in my body), I found out that the kidney issue is only an issue if you already have kidney disease or other kidney issues. Also, the kicker is that you need to ensure that no matter the amount of protein, you need to ensure you are drinking the water to go with it. Also, stick to the recommeneded "doses" on the protein you are taking. I use muscle milk, and it stipulates the times at which to take how much. As long as I stick to that, I notice that my body is a lot happier with me.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
  • coolvstar650
    coolvstar650 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    You can safely eat a gram per your current body weight per day and not have any side effects at all (unless you only have one kidney and kidney disease). I have had a protein shake every morning since I started losing weight. And now that I weight lift I have one after my workout as well...many days I have a total of 75grams of protein shake mix in addition on well over 100 more grams in my regular food.

Don't worry about it. Drink your shake, it makes you feel better. You are the best judge of your body.
  • jensfitpal2012
    jensfitpal2012 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    So how much is too much? I have my settings at 40-40-20,is that not good enough?
  • Tilran
    Tilran Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    So how much is too much? I have my settings at 40-40-20,is that not good enough?

That is quite a bit of protein but nothing harmful. I do 35 35 30...but thats just me because I cant hit huge 40% protein numbers.
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    lol This is too funny!!
  • coolvstar650
    coolvstar650 Posts: 97 Member
    Options

I don't know what your fitness routine looks like. I eat close to 200grams a day, but I lift heavy weights 3 times a week and do a Kettlebell routine twice a week, along with 30mins 4-5 days out of the week on the treadmill.

Honestly it is difficult for most women to eat too much protein. Elite female fitness models eat easily double the grams that I do.
  • shellybean73
    shellybean73 Posts: 88 Member
    Options