Today is anti-bulling day!

Options

Replies

• magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    19167817.jpg

Two boys down the street used to bully my daughter every single day, she'd come home crying! I ended up having to speak with their parents.. it got to a point where I could barely look at them or their parents. (we're a relatively close neighborhood) The boy came over a few days asking my husband if he could fix his computer. They were in 5th grade at the time.. but still. The memories of her coming home crying, every day. for over a month isn't something you just forget.
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    I used to get bullied in school. In retrospect I was an ideal target. It made me change who I was from someone even I didn't really like to the pile of awesome you see before you today...the positive side of bullying...

I definitely don't advocate it cos it's ****ing awful, but some people bring it on themselves - I know I did. We should teach our kids how to be awesome and then they won't get bullied. It is possible to be awesome and do well in school and not be a douche, just so many people think it's fine to let their children wander their own special little path without realising it could all go quite wrong for the kid.
  • sizzle92
    sizzle92 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I used to get bullied in school. In retrospect I was an ideal target. It made me change who I was from someone even I didn't really like to the pile of awesome you see before you today...the positive side of bullying...

I definitely don't advocate it cos it's ****ing awful, but some people bring it on themselves - I know I did. We should teach our kids how to be awesome and then they won't get bullied. It is possible to be awesome and do well in school and not be a douche, just so many people think it's fine to let their children wander their own special little path without realising it could all go quite wrong for the kid.

How did you "bring it on yourself"????
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for letting everyone know. I will be writing "Hope" on my hand in honor of my daughter.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Aspies are bully magnets. I got it bad in school, real bad.
  • Molly_Maguire
    Molly_Maguire Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRy_SZ5Oe7FoWlZvMt8OiFcXTk0yXuJAeTYN3afyPBwJSuwkWpX
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    My son used to get bullied in high school. One day he had enough and bounced the bully's head off of a desk. Needless to say he was suspended for a couple of days, but the bully was suspended for longer, had to write a letter of apology and never bothered my son again.

Sometimes, you just have to show that you aren't going to take it
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options

You can't change having a grand-mal seizure in the lunch room. You can't change being retarded. You can't change having petite-mal seizures which cause you to miss at least 30% of everything that is said. You can't change being 5'10. There are some things you can't change.
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRy_SZ5Oe7FoWlZvMt8OiFcXTk0yXuJAeTYN3afyPBwJSuwkWpX

images.jpg
  • chrishgt4
    Options

How did you "bring it on yourself"????

Just by being a typical victim. Low on confidence, wouldn't answer back, was scared etc. You know walking about with my head down metaphorically. People can sense a victim from a mile away and mostly people treat you as you feel about yourself. That is; if you have no confidence, people will walk over you because you draw that sort of behaviour.
  • chrishgt4
    Options

You can't change having a grand-mal seizure in the lunch room. You can't change being retarded. You can't change having petite-mal seizures which cause you to miss at least 30% of everything that is said. You can't change being 5'10. There are some things you can't change.

I don't know where these scenarios came from - all I'm talking about is personal experience and the resulting effect on me.

The things you listed though, you can change how you respond to them. If the cool kid in school had a seizure, that wouldn't result in bullying. If the cool kid were 5'10" that wouldn't result in bullying. The big difference between me getting bullied and me being the sort of person who wouldn't get bullied is confidence and social skills; both of which were at least partially lacking in those years. For me it was bulking up that brought about the confidence change and all the other things that came with it.

Confidence in yourself (and i mean confidence, not loudness/obnoxiousness/arrogance etc) is the biggest asset a person can have I think.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    All fun and games aside, I was bullied when I was in grade school for being chunky and ugly. So much so that I begged my mom to homeschool me, and wound up dropping out of that in the 8th grade. It took a long time for me to overcome self esteem issues. I worry every day with having a special needs child she'll suffer the same fate as I did.

Oh and p.s.,
    I was the ugly duckling that turned into the beautiful swan. I WIN. ;)

Same here.
    And the successful one.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options

^ This. You can't change the fact that you develop earlier than everyone else, have completely finished growing (taller) by year 6, tower over even the guys and have DD breasts with horrible acne.
  • Off10h8ed
    Off10h8ed Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Thanks for making other aware...
    I know a woman that lost her daughter to suicide because she felt she had no out... she was bullied so bad in school.
    She was 12.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Today is anti-bulling day! Please join me in supporting everyone who has been bulled in there life by writing the word HOPE on your hand and keeping it there all day! Thanks and spread the word.No one should be bulled for there weight,not there hair,not there car,not for any reason! Together we can make a difference! :happy:
    Thanks for posting! :flowerforyou:

This thread is a perfect example of mocking/bullying/hijacking on MFP. It's a bummer when someone starts a positive thread and then everyone (the nazi police and those seeking attention) trashes it.:noway: :frown:

Here's to everyone getting the attention they needed and taking the message to heart not continuing to criticize it to the core.
  • MonkRocker
    Options
    Today is anti-bulling day! Please join me in supporting everyone who has been bulled in there life by writing the word HOPE on your hand and keeping it there all day! Thanks and spread the word.No one should be bulled for there weight,not there hair,not there car,not for any reason! Together we can make a difference! :happy:

This thread is a perfect example of mocking/bullying/hijacking on MFP. It's a bummer when someone starts a positive thread and then everyone (the nazi police and those seeking attention) trashes it.:noway: :frown:

Here's to everyone getting the attention they needed and taking the message to heart not continuing to criticize it to the core.

I'm pretty sure there's not an eye rolling emote large enough.

The shocking grammar and spelling aside, no one's mocking the thread for those reasons. It's being mocked because it's pointless and silly to begin with. I doubt that anyone is going to show up to defend bullying. Yet another thread of preaching to the choir is sort of silly. "Don't Bully People" is common sense, which means had this post not been a hilarious grammatical trainwreck, this thread would be completely pointless. At least now it's fun.

And a special note directly for the OP, and anyone else who might have a similar issue:

Spelling and grammar count, folks. Before you say "yeah well we're not in English class, are we?" You're correct. You're in the thing that English class was preparing you for: being able to interact with others while giving the impression that your IQ is higher than your shoe size. On the internet - just about ALL you have to represent you is your words. All the more reason to choose them carefully, and make sure they're correct.

Edit: typos. Yay for shooting yourself in the foot. ;)
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    Spelling and grammar count, folks. Before you say "yeah well we're not in English class, are we?" You're correct. You're in the thing that English class was preparing you for: being able to interact with others while giving the impression that your IQ is higher than your shoe size. On the internet - just about ALL you have to represent you is your words. All the more reason to choose them carefully, and make sure they're correct.

I quoted this simply because it bore quoting.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options

The shocking grammar and spelling aside, no one's mocking the thread for those reasons. It's being mocked because it's pointless and silly to begin with. I doubt that anyone is going to show up to defend bullying. Yeat another thread of preaching to the choir is sort of silly. "Don't Bully People" is common sense, which means had this post not been a hilarious grammatical trainwreck, this thread would be completely pointless. At least now it's fun.

And a special note directly for the OP, and anyone else who might have a similar issue:

There are ppl that actually don't have English as their native language, one never knows if that's the case on MFP when walking into a thread. Patience is a virtue.:heart:

I don't believe not bullying is common sense, it should be but with all the situations going on in the world today it's apparent it's NOT to some.

Hope you got the attention you were looking for in cutting OP's post down. I saw grammar/spelling criticism not anyone making fun of the post on the topic of anti-bullying day. Perhaps you were a bully once or still are... that's what your post speaks. Or perhaps were bullied yourself?

Btw.... yet is spelled 'yet', not yeat. My point being...I knew what you meant though as I can read through spelling errors/typos with out much issue, it's the point of the message that counts. I do believe grammar is important but because someone makes an error is no reason to trash talk them. Perhaps tolerance would work in situations like that.

Hope your day gets better,
    I have more important things to do than discuss this with you beyond this, like working out and meal planning.

Cheers!:drinker:
  • MonkRocker
    Options

The shocking grammar and spelling aside, no one's mocking the thread for those reasons. It's being mocked because it's pointless and silly to begin with. I doubt that anyone is going to show up to defend bullying. Yeat another thread of preaching to the choir is sort of silly. "Don't Bully People" is common sense, which means had this post not been a hilarious grammatical trainwreck, this thread would be completely pointless. At least now it's fun.

There are ppl that actually don't have English as their native language, one never knows if that's the case on MFP when walking into a thread. Patience is a virtue.:heart:

I don't believe not bullying is common sense, it should be but with all the situations going on in the world today it's apparent it's NOT too many.

Hope you got the attention you were looking for in cutting OP's post down. I saw grammar/spelling criticism not anyone making fun of the post on anti-bullying day. Perhaps you were a bully once or still are... that's what your post speaks.

Btw.... yet is spelled 'yet', not yeat. I knew what you meant though as I can read through spelling errors/typos with out much issue, it's the point of the message that counts. I do believe grammar is important but because someone makes an error is no reason to trash talk them. Perhaps tolerance would work in situations like that.

Hope your day gets better,
    I have more important things to do than discuss this with you beyond this, like working out and meal planning.

Cheers!:drinker:

That's a lovely strawman. For the record, I didn't say anything about the OP save for pointing out it was a grammatical trainwreck, which I don't think anyone (even you) would disagree with. I'm not cutting them down or seeking attention. YOU didn't seem to understand why this thread went the way it did, so I tried to explain it to you. You seem to have completely missed that. No worries.

And you're correct, English isn't everyone's first language, and on a primarily English-speaking board, it's common to point that out when posting. That being said, the post doesn't show any of the usual signs of being an ESL post. It simply looks like the work of someone who either couldn't be bothered or thinks grammar and spelling don't matter.

You totally nailed me on the typo. It has been corrected. See how useful that was? Now I look like LESS of a goofball because you helpfully pointed out my mistake. :flower:

Extra points for declaring victory with a "YOU ARE WRONG AND SINCE I WILL NOT BE DISCUSSING THIS FURTHER, GOOD DAY SIR. I SAID GOOD DAY!"
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    every day should be anti-bullying day. i joke with you not.