Stephenie Meyer ripped off Charlaine Harris (?)

Options
jg627
jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
Twilight vs. True Blood: the epic battle begins! Don't you just hate when the twilight fanboys/girls swear up and down that twilight was an original idea that came to her in a dream in 2003? I mean, come on, seriously? Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining. There's the 'special' girl has to choose between the tall, dark and handsome vampire who loves humans and has waited for her since 'the war' and a the other guy who turns into a mangy mutt. Then tall, dark and handsome has to ask his romantic rival, the mutt, to watch over his girl for him while he's gone, even though he knows that it thinks about her when it 'grooms' itself. Am I right or am I right?

Replies

• taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    27502670.jpg
  • jg627
    Options
    27502670.jpg
    You know you're a fan deep down and it's just burning you up inside. Are you team Edward or team Jacob?
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    418690_376952939045421_1847377790_n.jpg
  • Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    27504533.jpg
  • jg627
    Options
    27504533.jpg
    Oh yes. You know this can never be at rest. Others will come to bite.
  • jg627
    Options
    Alright. You people are just no fun at all today. I'm moving on.
  • shutterbug282
    shutterbug282 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Think you might want to check the date of L. J Smith's books. ;D
  • ConnieM20
    ConnieM20 Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    lol, you tried :laugh:
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    27502670.jpg

This
  • amunet07
    amunet07 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I'm a Twilight fan...but I have never had the chance to see True Blood or know anything about it. Did it come out first? Isn't it a tv series? was it a book first?
  • EvaB93
    EvaB93 Posts: 101
    Options
    who ****ing cares. its a book?
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Laurell K Hamilton's Anita Blake Vampire Hunter books started around 1993.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I mean, aren't there only 7 original story plots anyway? The art is making the story new and enjoyable, even though we've heard it before. That being said, I've never read any of Stefanie Meyer's books or seen the movies. I started reading the first one and was bored by her writing style. They're in my "eventually will read to see what the big deal is" queue anyway. Right ahead of 50 shades. I like Charlaine Harris though. :tongue:
  • jg627
    Options
    I mean, aren't there only 7 original story plots anyway? The art is making the story new and enjoyable, even though we've heard it before. That being said, I've never read any of Stefanie Meyer's books or seen the movies. I started reading the first one and was bored by her writing style. They're in my "eventually will read to see what the big deal is" queue anyway. Right ahead of 50 shades. I like Charlaine Harris though. :tongue:
    To be honest, I've never read either series. My wife is a fan of both and I may have had a lapse in judgment when choosing to do this today, since it's a gym day and sex is a vital component of my workout recovery routine. Then again, using my charm skills makes the chase all the more fun.
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    I'm a Charlaine Harris fan. Just the books. Don't watch the shows. Twilight is drivel. Laurel K Hamilton has way more complicated plots, and is like 40% sex.

Summary:
    Charlaine Harris: Good vampire books.
    Laurel K Hamilton: Decent vampire books -- can get confusing, always something dramatic happening, gratuitous sex.
    Twlight: *kitten*.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I prefer the True Blood books over the show. The books have a certain... sweetness? charm? that's missing from the books. And Sookie isn't so dumb and whiny.

The Twilight books were kind of like finding your diary from high school, back when you thought you were really deep and mature. Yet I kept reading them. Couldn't look away from the train wreck.

I'm on book 9 of the Anita Blake books. I like the crime and gore and drama and mystery. So far, they're not all sexed up but I've heard that changes and they get pretty boring after a while.

And on the "7 original plots" topic.... four of my all time favorite stories are the same exact story retold. Harry Potter, Star Wars, Wizard of Oz and Lord of the Rings. Orphaned child who never though he/she was special, raised by an uncle or uncle and aunt , who destroys an evil overlord.
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I have to add that Charlaine Harris' books are nothing like the Twilight series. I've read the first few of Twilight and it's like comparing apples to oranges which could be why no one is biting on this one. Twilight was written for teens, I mean who would believe that a vampire hundreds of years old would intentionally sit down in a classroom and repeat high school over and over for like 50 or more times? I know that would be my idea of hell. I don't mind being a teacher, but you're an immortal and at this point you probably have memorized every textbook ever made. Why would you do this? Common! No one in their right mind would not notice that you look a whole lot like a previous generation. Worse yet, they live in a technological age...no way would they get away with it for long.

As for the True Blood book series, the tv show that's based off her series is so far off the actual book series that book fans don't even compare the two. I've been watching it and have read them all. Basically, if you've seen the tv series, you have not read the series. They are NOTHING alike. The producer/writers/directors have taken the entire series in a different direction; in other words, the character names are the same but it's so far off that you won't recognize it. The book series was definitely written for adults. It's more like a science fiction / romance novel series. The main character is not a teen so it's appealing to an older audience.

They are nothing alike.
  • jg627
    Options
    I have to add that Charlaine Harris' books are nothing like the Twilight series. I've read the first few of Twilight and it's like comparing apples to oranges which could be why no one is biting on this one. Twilight was written for teens, I mean who would believe that a vampire hundreds of years old would intentionally sit down in a classroom and repeat high school over and over for like 50 or more times? I know that would be my idea of hell. I don't mind being a teacher, but you're an immortal and at this point you probably have memorized every textbook ever made. Why would you do this? Common! No one in their right mind would not notice that you look a whole lot like a previous generation. Worse yet, they live in a technological age...no way would they get away with it for long.

As for the True Blood book series, the tv show that's based off her series is so far off the actual book series that book fans don't even compare the two. I've been watching it and have read them all. Basically, if you've seen the tv series, you have not read the series. They are NOTHING alike. The producer/writers/directors have taken the entire series in a different direction; in other words, the character names are the same but it's so far off that you won't recognize it. The book series was definitely written for adults. It's more like a science fiction / romance novel series. The main character is not a teen so it's appealing to an older audience.

They are nothing alike.

Another question to add... I noticed there aren't a whole lot of adult vampires in the Twilight series. Does vampire love count as far as statutory rape laws are concerned?
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    I prefer the True Blood books over the show. The books have a certain... sweetness? charm? that's missing from the books. And Sookie isn't so dumb and whiny.

The Twilight books were kind of like finding your diary from high school, back when you thought you were really deep and mature. Yet I kept reading them. Couldn't look away from the train wreck.

I'm on book 9 of the Anita Blake books. I like the crime and gore and drama and mystery. So far, they're not all sexed up but I've heard that changes and they get pretty boring after a while.

And on the "7 original plots" topic.... four of my all time favorite stories are the same exact story retold. Harry Potter, Star Wars, Wizard of Oz and Lord of the Rings. Orphaned child who never though he/she was special, raised by an uncle or uncle and aunt , who destroys an evil overlord.

I think I picked up the Anita Blake series on book 12? A friend just gave me one of the books randomly. But yea it gets very over-sexed. I got bored and stopped with her series, and I don't even remember on which book.
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Another question to add... I noticed there aren't a whole lot of adult vampires in the Twilight series. Does vampire love count as far as statutory rape laws are concerned?

I suspect if you go by dates...it would be like dating your great, great, great, great, great, grandfather whose had a brain transplant into his clone. LOL. As for why they are mostly young - I'd never really noticed that one.