Stephenie Meyer ripped off Charlaine Harris (?)

Options

Replies

• jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    As far as vampire novels go, I did like most of the Anne Rice Vampire Chronicles, but some of them got a bit too heavy on the man love for my taste.
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I must be old and out of touch because I have zero clue what the f uck true blood even is and I refuse to watch a movie with sparkly vampires on principle alone. Well that and I'm not a horny teenage girl or a mom who needs some good lovin.
  • I_wanna_live
    I_wanna_live Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    okay, I don't know a single op spoke of... So, I am going to read a real vampire book, Dracula, and later on watch Van Hellsing.
  • ritoosh
    ritoosh Posts: 190
    Options
    i never seen true bloods whatever episodes i did see kinda creeped me out...
    with that being said i did read it in high school [yes it was only 3 years ago i know]
    but i have read some other vampire books that are totally better and not the whole vampire/wolf thing :D
  • Elise1324
    Options
    Laurell K Hamilton's Anita Blake Vampire Hunter books started around 1993.

the book where it starts splitting up in to that kind of story is book 3 and it came out in 1996? 97? so if anything it was both looking to LKH for ideas... though i think i remember and older series with the same idea behind it... just been too long since i read it. (and i have read the Twilight series as well as the first two books for the Sookie Stackhouse novels and watched all seasons of True Blood) i think i have a disorder that causes me to read vampire novels cuz i started out at 10 reading Annie Rice's interview with the vampire series.
  • RockinBooty89
    Options
    Actually you'd have a better argument if you used The Vampire Diaries by LJ Smith as a midway comparrison between the Charlaine Harris, Sookie Stackhouse series and the Stephanie Myers Twilight Series. True Blood and Twilight don't really compare well unless you add in The Vampire Diaries as well. The Vampire Diaries has way more in common with both stories than they do with each other.
  • samb330
    samb330 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Actually you'd have a better argument if you used The Vampire Diaries by LJ Smith as a midway comparrison between the Charlaine Harris, Sookie Stackhouse series and the Stephanie Myers Twilight Series. True Blood and Twilight don't really compare well unless you add in The Vampire Diaries as well. The Vampire Diaries has way more in common with both stories than they do with each other.

I was thinking this exact same thing!!! Great minds think alike.:smile:

Why don't we discuss which series has the best looking vamps????
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options

I was thinking this exact same thing!!! Great minds think alike.:smile:

I guess I should do my homework better next time before I go trolling ;-)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options

Because Eric always wins. :bigsmile: Although if we're including "Interview with the Vampire," LeStat was the only Tom Cruise character I ever liked. Add a young Brad Pitt and Antonio Banderas, and you're giving the Viking a run for his money.

Another of my many beefs with Twilight is that these guys go f'n bonkers at the smell of blood... so lets hang around with menstruating teenage girls???
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I must be old and out of touch because I have zero clue what the f uck true blood even is and I refuse to watch a movie with sparkly vampires on principle alone. Well that and I'm not a horny teenage girl or a mom who needs some good lovin.

I totally agree. I despise the silliness of sparkly vampires. Sheesh. It's just wrong! I like my vampires dark and brooding - not shining like they were dunked in a vat of sprinkles. Ick.
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    okay, I don't know a single op spoke of... So, I am going to read a real vampire book, Dracula, and later on watch Van Hellsing.

Fair warning - Dracula, while an interesting read happens to have a very wimpy vampire. I read the whole novel and it's definitely tame compared to some of the modern vampires. Granted, I'm sure he was terrifying in the past. The diary entries are interesting but it's not the same as the modern versions of vampires.

I agree that Anne Rice does a great job on her vampire series - but her books are heavily detailed. It's like slowly moving through a swamp but it's a cool one with lots to look at while you travel.
  • Nikki31104
    Nikki31104 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Read all the Twilight books but only because my daughter wanted to read the. And all I knew was that they were teenage romance books and that made me leery. I read the first True Blood book and was kind of bored by it. I am now watching the series against my better judgement and the only person that makes the show worthwhile is Lafayette. Now if you want some good adult vampire books read J R Ward's Black Dagger Brotherhood books. Excellent books.
  • frando
    frando Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    How about reading proper literature?
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    hmm ... used to love a vampire book and was really into Anne Rice and loved reading Dracula, but I moved onto zombies some time ago
  • hellohappylisa
    hellohappylisa Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Um, everything vampire is not original. The end.
  • zeebruhgirl
    zeebruhgirl Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    If Twilight fans start saying Anne Rice copied Meyer, that's when I'll start worrying.
  • AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options

Another of my many beefs with Twilight is that these guys go f'n bonkers at the smell of blood... so lets hang around with menstruating teenage girls???

I have to admit, I always wonder that during the scene when Bella gets a paper cut. :huh:
  • kimberliiw
    kimberliiw Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    What, no mention of Patricia Briggs? She has vampires and werewolves.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options

I did, but Pride and Prejudice and Zombies was so much MORE than the original.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

I did, but Pride and Prejudice and Zombies was so much MORE than the original.

Was it actually good, lol? I have it but never really considered that it might actually be a decent book