Worse to be next to on a plane. Bad breath guy or

Options

Replies

• TonkaDanteFriend
    TonkaDanteFriend Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Bad BO. At least the bad breath person can keep their mouth shut or you just look away when they talk to you. LOL I seriously thought you were gonna say a fat guy. LOL OBESE people.. is that one of the choices? If so, then definitely an obese individual. That's like 5 individuals in one, their fat spilling over into my seat which I paid for....

Troll detected.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    You know what though?

REMEMBER THE DAYS OF OLD WHEN AIRLINES DIDN'T PUT YOU IN SUBHUMAN CONDITIONS?

How about we just complain about how we can't seem to make them bring that back?

I first flew on a commercial jet 38 years ago! Yeah, old guy here. Flying was a luxurious, fun and slightly glamorous thing to do, at least for this small town guy off to see the big city by himself for the first time ever. The thing is, it was also outrageously expensive back then, at least in the U.S.

In a sense, we've done this too ourselves by buying the cheapest seats possible.
  • homerjspartan
    homerjspartan Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    You know what though?

How about we just complain about how we can't seem to make them bring that back?

I first flew on a commercial jet 38 years ago! Yeah, old guy here. Flying was a luxurious, fun and slightly glamorous thing to do, at least for this small town guy off to see the big city by himself for the first time ever. The thing is, it was also outrageously expensive back then, at least in the U.S.

In a sense, we've done this too ourselves by buying the cheapest seats possible.

^^This.

They do still have wonderful conditions. It is called First Class, and as long as you don't mind selling your children on the black market, you can afford it too.
  • robmcd88
    robmcd88 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Personal Space Invaders… Unfortunately, culturally these types typically have personal hygiene issues as well.
  • lour441
    lour441 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    The guy that's spilling into my seat. They're the most annoying.

I will be your airplane buddy!

I took a flight last week for the first time in years and actually fit in my seat.
  • SVCat
    SVCat Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    You know what though?

Sir...if you've flown American lately...those same old *kitten* airplanes are still gracing our skys and shuttling folks to & fro. Nothings changed...blame it on McDonalds.
  • Deipneus
    Options
    You know what though?

^^This.

They do still have wonderful conditions. It is called First Class, and as long as you don't mind selling your children on the black market, you can afford it too.

Ha... you're right. But you know what even First Class doesn't replicate from the old days: No TSA! That's right. I was a young guy and stepped right up to the counter and paid for my one way ticket to San Francisco with cash. Today, that alone would make me a suspect. AND, friends could greet you at the airport at the gate. Can you imagine? We used to just walk around the airport wherever we wanted to go!

Ooohh... I just remembered another negative besides the cost. People would smoke on airplanes. Seems crazy now. We were all together in this enclosed aluminum tube at 30,000 feet and not far away, people would be smoking. Of course, we were in the "No Smoking" section but there was nothing between us and the smokers.
  • lour441
    lour441 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Either one is fine. Just don't seat me near anyone under the age of 13.

I used to have an issue with kids on a plane. Then I had kids. My last flight there was a toddler in back of me crying and all i could think about was what I could do to comfort her.
  • SVCat
    SVCat Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    Either one is fine. Just don't seat me near anyone under the age of 13.

I used to have an issue with kids on a plane. Then I had kids. My last flight there was a toddler in back of me crying and all i could think about was what I could do to comfort her.

A pillow, firmly placed over the face is a good way to get them to relax.
  • Deipneus
    Options
    You know what though?

Sir...if you've flown American lately...those same old *kitten* airplanes are still gracing our skys and shuttling folks to & fro. Nothings changed...blame it on McDonalds.

I know better than to fly American... and while some of the old planes may be around, they were long ago retrofitted with more seats.

Besides the planes, the business is different. The U.S. deregulated airlines in 1978.
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    bad breath is the worst. seriously, bad breath makes me want to puke. I can handle bad BO. I can handle kids. I do get annoyed when a "larger" person sits next to me and encroaches on my area and i get pissed when the person in front of me reclines the chair all the way back... but bad breath is the worst.
  • rudegyal_b
    rudegyal_b Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    both are horrible, also whistly noses or loud breathers, and annoying children
  • moosegt35
    moosegt35 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Awwww...I know everyone has experienced an irritating kid on a flight before, but I don't understand why it's such a big deal. I mean, think about all the thoughts going through our minds, "Oh my gosh this guy's breath stinks, this girl has BO, that couple is talking so loudly, I am hungry, I have to pee, but I don't want to get up, my back hurts, my leg hurts, where's the flight attendant with the drink cart?" I could go on and on. Little kids express this on a plane by crying and whining. Grown ups mostly hold it inside and fume over it. The ones that don't...well, they end up getting tasered by the Marshall on the plane.

That said, to choose between these two, BO would bother me more than bad breath...unless the bad breath is so offensive that it seeps out through the nose or the person is a ridiculous mouth breather. At least BO tends to smell sort of onionlike which makes me think of the way it smells when one saute's onions for a delicious cheese steak or something.

Edited to add: My son who is now 6 1/2 has flown almost every year since he was 9 months old. Every time we fly I worry, "is this going to be the time he is the kid everyone hates." Every time he is super well behaved and even has new adult friends by the time the flight is over. We've even had people give him little trinkets as gifts because he's so sweet and fun.

The reason people hate kids on planes is the same reason people hate kids anywhere, their parents are idiots and don't/can't control them. Of course this doesn't apply to a baby, but toddlers can act like they have some sense, but only if the parents have some to begin with.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    NoAdditives wrote:
    I'm actually okay with crying babies. Babies cry, that's life.

Wow. You might just be my new hero!

Not heroic but my problems are with people who are inconsiderate. Babies don't know what's going on. I feel bad for the parent trying to get somewhere, the kids crying and all he or she gets is dirty looks. Hey we were all babies once and annoyed someone with our crying. Karma.

I guess it's just surprising to find someone who treats babies and their parents as actual human beings. My kids are very well behaved everywhere but the grocery store (why Trader Joe's turns them into animals, I have no idea) so I haven't had to deal with the looks or comments in person. But the things people say online just make me sad.
  • Deipneus
    Options
    NoAdditives wrote:
    I'm actually okay with crying babies. Babies cry, that's life.

Wow. You might just be my new hero!

Not heroic but my problems are with people who are inconsiderate. Babies don't know what's going on. I feel bad for the parent trying to get somewhere, the kids crying and all he or she gets is dirty looks. Hey we were all babies once and annoyed someone with our crying. Karma.

I guess it's just surprising to find someone who treats babies and their parents as actual human beings. My kids are very well behaved everywhere but the grocery store (why Trader Joe's turns them into animals, I have no idea) so I haven't had to deal with the looks or comments in person. But the things people say online just make me sad.

Our kids are grown but I remember that when they were young, and at that age where they'd scream in grocery stores no matter what we did, all the people who were most positive we didn't know how to handle kids never had any themselves. Man they had all the answers.

Having been through all that, when I see toddlers making a scene in a grocery store, and the parent at his or her wits end, my reaction is to smile and let them know it's all right and perfectly normal at that age. I know some people think I'm soft and that the kid would respond positively to a good beating but they are wrong, especially at the toddler stage.
  • mommasox
    mommasox Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    The loud talker
  • mommasox
    Options
    Personal Space Invaders… Unfortunately, culturally these types typically have personal hygiene issues as well.

Yes... This....

I change mine. Personal Space Invaders!
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    The loud talker

I'm from New Jersey-- we are all like that so it doesn't bother me.lol
  • mommasox
    Options
    The loud talker

I'm from New Jersey-- we are all like that so it doesn't bother me.lol

Hey as long as everyone is loud its okay.
  • PatrissiaLu
    Options
    I'm flying in a few months with my 2 year old baby girl, and with all these negative posts about babies on planes and how much everyone hates sitting next to them, I'm scared! I'll do everything I can to make sure my baby does not misbehave, but after all is said and done, she's just a baby and she might cry, or spill something, or fuss, etc., etc.... sorry! I hope everyone just knows it's even harder for the parent than it is for the stranger sitting next to the fussy baby ... I can deal with a whiney baby because they don't know what's going on and may be scared, but I have zero tolerance for a whiney adult!