stupid stir fry! stupid cast iron skillet! stupid oil!

Options
13»

Replies

• Anelda
    Anelda Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Definitely a seasoning issue. I have had my cast iron for around 2 years (I LOVE it) and I'll need to reseason it every once in a great while.. however, I can cook eggs and pancakes in mine (which are notorious for sticking to everything when cooking) and have them come out perfect.
    I also have no issue with deglazing with wine or other acidic liquids.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    the title of your post made me laugh. That's how I sound in the kitchen because I don't like cooking and get frustrated easily doing it lol

I'm in the same club! :laugh:

If it doesn't come from a box, then I'm not sure what to do! :blushing:
  • robert65ferguson
    robert65ferguson Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    @Mearlie, Have you thought about using a little hot water or stock when the contents of your stir fry gets too dry. The liquid will emulsify and prevent sticking. This tip was given by Ken Hom.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    You should not regret eating a good thing. As long as it was olive or avocado oil, not some crappy canola oil, those 240 calories went to a good use.

Yes, yes, yes!!! And don't forget coconut oil!

Contrary to the misinformation out there, I don't use canola, safflower, sunflower, cottonseed, soy, peanut, etc. But I will use some nut oils, but only raw. I only cook with coconut oil, olive oil, and butter (ghee if I could get it). I'm sure avocado is probably ok too, I just haven't looked into how it handles heat, and I'm not sure if I could access it anyway.

I don't get the people promoting Teflon pans or sprays (like Pam), but I've heard that there are better sprays on the market these days. I wouldn't know; I live in the Arctic. I always cook in non-toxic cookware. There's enough toxins in our food already.

I am so done with fat phobia, and can't wait until everyone becomes aware of the good news that healthy fats are not guilty for the current obesity rate.
  • mearlie
    mearlie Posts: 224
    Options
    I'm not afraid of the fat at ALL, but I am afraid of the calories! However I'm kind of a proponent of eating more fat to reduce overall calories consumed. So it's a double edged sword when you are keeping a food diary. It kind of blew up my diary for the day. But yesterday I did NOT meet my calories so if I go over today I don't mind.

And honestly the whole thing was my fault. I should have used a stock or something but I was thinking about the actual pan and trying not to put a water base in it for fear of losing the little bit of seasoning that's on it.

What I SHOULD have done was started with a well-seasoned pan, used a different pan, and I should have used stock. So all good suggestions!

This isn't my first pony ride but sometimes you lose momentum when you step away from the saddle awhile. Gotta get my groove back.

I'll do a little more research on that safflower thing - maybe I'm fooling myself but I thought that I was doing something decent for my body, given the PCOS thing.
  • lukeevans85
    lukeevans85 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Your cast iron pan should not be doing that if it was properly seasoned. Don't ever use soap on it and make sure it's well oiled after you wash it. You can put shortening on it and place it in the oven to season. Also, if you put in frozen veggies it might of got too much water at once. Good luck.

Exactly. A cast iron pan that has been properly seasoned won't stick. I hate the oven seasoning method so anytime I re-season I just make sure to cook a lot of bacon in my cast iron for a couple of weeks. Not only do you end up with well seasoned pans you also end up with bacon. And that's almost better.