Shakeology, Body By Vi or Protein Shake??

Options
124»

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Hey Everyone :)

I looking to lose about 30 lbs by January 2013 but i find eating breakfast the hardest thing for me so I was wondering about Shakeology, Body by vi or Protein Shakes and whats your opinion on them all and such.

Thanks so much
    There is no need to eat breakfast unless you're hungry.
  • Fit_Vixen1
    Options
    I was taking Jillian Michaels Whey Protein. Ewww, didn't like it.

I just started taking Promasil Protein. When I say, I just started taking it, I mean as in yesterday. I liked it because it's a small scoop, as apposed to a huge scoop I'd take with JM's.

This one has no fillers (so they say), has 7 different types of proteins which digest at different times. As far as taste, eh, I think all protein shakes have an "EH" taste, lol.

Not cheap, But it sure as hell doesn't cost as much as Shakeology!!
  • DiscoNinja75
    DiscoNinja75 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    If Shakeology is just a gimmick, then how has it kept my hubby's severe Chron's disease in remission for the last year? Even the prescription meds didn't work as well, and THEY cost us $600 a month, and were NOT covered by our insurance! Don't knock something just because you haven't tried it. I don't use it as much anymore, but he does. When he goes off of it, his Chrons' comes back.with a vengeance. He starts Shakeology again, Chrons' is GONE. Body by Vi has far less nutrition in it, but if you are looking.for quick.weight loss, it may work for you. Yes, I am a Beachbody coach - and yes, I just told someone to use a competitor's shake mix if they so desire. Everyone is different! I will say that no matter what you do, people, change your eating.habits and not.only.will the weight come off, it will stay off. Sory for the odd punctuation. Typing.from my "smartphone", and it won't let me go.back and correct anything.
  • Dstone88
    Dstone88 Posts: 1
    Options
    I think what you should be looking at are two things- What are you hoping to get from the shake a Meal or a snack? And what are the ingredients in said shakes? Beware of tons of sugar laden "protein shakes". And if not sugar a lot of times its artificial sweeteners which suck for reasons all on their own. That all said I've been doing my own research and have come to some conclusions. First off I'm NOT a BB coach and have never actually tried Shakeology as of yet. But if you're looking for a MEAL replacement shake that contains MORE than protein I would go with Shakeology. It has other things in it than just protein. Again I'm just going of labels. Its more of a whole foods replacement. Its full of vitamins and minerals and other goodies most every day diets just can't give you. I am currently doing smoothies on my own using fruits, almond milk, greek yogurt, and some seeds (chia, hemp, ect) but I just can't add enough seeds and herbs and plants to my smoothies to equate what you get in a shakeology drink according to the labels.
  • karrielynn80
    karrielynn80 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    removed my post - saw this thread began back in 2012 - clearly she's decided and i'm not here just to argue LOL
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Please eat breakfeast! Contrary to what some people on here said it is very important. It jump starts your metabolism for The entire day. You should actually be eating your biggest meal at breakfast! I am a personal trainer and recommend that every single one of my clients be on a protein supplement. You should be getting 2 g of protein per every pound of body weight MyFitnessPal does not give you this number you should definitely go over it .I'm not very knowledgeable about shakeology all I know is it's very expensive. Body by vi is all artificial crap. I normally don't recommend that you do casein or Whey protein due to the fact that the majority of them have sucralose I do not recommend anything with artificial ingredients. I use vega sport it is all plant-based protein no artificial sweeteners 0 g of sugar 26 g of protein per scoop. I use one scoop of protein a frozen banana about 13 ice cubes 3/4 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk half teaspoon xanthan gum 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa a pack of truvia and blend or Scoop protein powder 1 cup frozen mixed berries and one cup unsweetened vanilla almond. Delicious and filling you should also be eating some kind of complex carb for breakfeast as well. The shakes are best consumed within 30 minutes following a workout.
    No. Scientific studies have debunked this myth over and over again:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/820577-meal-frequency-rev-up-that-furnace-lol

Any so-called "personal trainer" giving outdated advice and/or perpetuating scientifically disproven myths should be avoided like the plague. If they're that out of date on their information, who knows what other misinformation they're spreading?
  • kelseyoseto
    kelseyoseto Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Please don't discredit others. Saying Im a personal trainer that people should avoid is really rude, especially when several of my clients follow me on here. There are actually studies done proving both sides of this issue , and it really comes down to multiple factors. I am not a certified nutritionist and tell all my clients this. What I do know is what had worked for me and my clients and that is eating breakfast. I have 13% bodyfat for a female and could probably teach you quite a few things.. I'm a great personal trainer who gets results and teaches over 23 classes a week, you have no idea who I am or what kind of a pt I am. Please keep your rudeness to yourself there is no reason to start drama. I usually would disregard this completely but when one of my clients saw this and asked me about it, I have a problem.
    Please eat breakfeast! Contrary to what some people on here said it is very important. It jump starts your metabolism for The entire day. You should actually be eating your biggest meal at breakfast! I am a personal trainer and recommend that every single one of my clients be on a protein supplement. You should be getting 2 g of protein per every pound of body weight MyFitnessPal does not give you this number you should definitely go over it .I'm not very knowledgeable about shakeology all I know is it's very expensive. Body by vi is all artificial crap. I normally don't recommend that you do casein or Whey protein due to the fact that the majority of them have sucralose I do not recommend anything with artificial ingredients. I use vega sport it is all plant-based protein no artificial sweeteners 0 g of sugar 26 g of protein per scoop. I use one scoop of protein a frozen banana about 13 ice cubes 3/4 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk half teaspoon xanthan gum 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa a pack of truvia and blend or Scoop protein powder 1 cup frozen mixed berries and one cup unsweetened vanilla almond. Delicious and filling you should also be eating some kind of complex carb for breakfeast as well. The shakes are best consumed within 30 minutes following a workout.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/820577-meal-frequency-rev-up-that-furnace-lol

Any so-called "personal trainer" giving outdated advice and/or perpetuating scientifically disproven myths should be avoided like the plague. If they're that out of date on their information, who knows what other misinformation they're spreading?
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Please don't discredit others. Saying Im a personal trainer that people should avoid is really rude, especially when several of my clients follow me on here. There are actually studies done proving both sides of this issue , and it really comes down to multiple factors. I am not a certified nutritionist and tell all my clients this. What I do know is what had worked for me and my clients and that is eating breakfast. I have 13% bodyfat for a female and could probably teach you quite a few things.. I'm a great personal trainer who gets results and teaches over 23 classes a week, you have no idea who I am or what kind of a pt I am. Please keep your rudeness to yourself there is no reason to start drama. I usually would disregard this completely but when one of my clients saw this and asked me about it, I have a problem.

Why aren't you certified?
    Personally I'd recommend no one pay money to someone as a nutritionist that isn't certified. Certifications serve as baseline and ensure quality and standardization.
  • hcowens88
    hcowens88 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have been doing the Body By Vi for only two weeks now with diet and exercise and it definitely has helped me lose about a pound more a week. I think it tastes great with fruit and water if you have a blender. Makes awesome smoothies around 200-300 calories that fills you up and tastes good. The body by vi with just water is disgusting. Either way I think protein shakes are good thing to add to a diet, even if its just regular whey protein. It helps rebuild muscle, which you probably already know, which in turn helps burn fat. Pretty sure thats how that works. I am having a good experience with the protein shakes, just like anything else you have to watch your calorie intake and exercise.
  • jus_in_bello
    jus_in_bello Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I make smoothies in the morning. Avocado is really awesome in a shake. Creamy and yummy.

I used to juice until my sister and BIL borrowed my juicer, I loved that, it is quick and delicious, and I know everything that is in it.

Overnight oats is quick and easy and you can make them over the weekend and then grab a jar on your way out the door in the morning.

I always just made breakfast for the week on Sunday and put it into Tupperware and grabbed one to eat at my desk at work in the morning.

All of this is to say: You don't have to do a shake in the morning to have a quick breakfast.

If you really want one, I suggest making your own. When it comes to protein shakes I'm partial to Hemp. It's vegan and GF, which is necessary for me.

Doing shakes to lose weight isn't going to offer a long term solution. You'll lose weight, stop drinking the shakes, and gain the weight back, this is the pattern for 95% of people.

Good Luck!
  • Codename_Duchess
    Codename_Duchess Posts: 2,042 Member
    Options
    My thanks to both of you, this is very informative. I'm still in the beginning stages of trying to get my eating habits under control so I'm Googling everything about eating clean 100%. Cheers! :smile:
    There are a few huge issues I see here. You obviously have just gotten into getting in shape, congrats for wanting to make the change but you are already going about it in the wrong way. Setting a 30lb goal for three months is a pretty hefty mark and you are setting yourself up for failure by doing so. You say, 'you heard protein is good for muscle', this means you are diving into this whole thing blind to begin with, and then asking about two gimmicky shakes and then lumping protein shakes into a broad generalization will set you up for failure even more. So here's a few things you should know and try which will help you in the long run

1. Throw that 30lb goal out the window, try a simpler goal like constant improvement each month
    2. buy a body measuring take and a body fat tester. Take all of your measurements and take pictures of yourself from front, side and back, then repeat this each month
    3. Realize that muscle weighs more than fat, doing a program like Insanity will help you strip fat but you may not see huge drops on the scale which is where the pictures and measurements come in.
    4. Be aware of the food you eat, for example: diet foods replace the flavor lost when they take out the fat with Sodium, eating out anywhere involves tons of sodium, sodium will make you bloat and retain water
    5. Eat whole foods where ever possible, shakes are nice but at the end of the day they are SUPPLEMENTS, as in they supplement what you already eat.
    6. Protein does help build muscle but so do fats and carbs so don't neglect them because some **** with a 30 second workout plan told you to. Also keep in mind there are many types of fats, carbs and proteins, learn them and learn which are good, which are bad and when its best to consume them
    7. Educate yourself! Read, read, read! Learn about fitness, learn about a healthy lifestyle, learn about portions, read the labels on the food you buy, learn what a portion size is, buy a food scale, measuring cups, and measuring spoons, I promise you will be shocked when you really learn what you are eating. Look up food on MFP BEFORE you buy it so you can see what you're really getting into.

You use this as building blocks and you will succeed, and don't forget that after every fad diet has come and gone the thing that has always been around proven tried and true is diet and exercise. good luck!

He hit the nail on the head. I agree 100% with all of this. I do drink a protein shake that I make myself with a good whey protein, lowfat milk (fats are still good for you), some natural peanut butter, and a banana. I only do this after my workout though or on off days when I just don't have much of an appetite. Learn your macros and keep them in balance during the day.
  • kelseyoseto
    kelseyoseto Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am a certified personal trainer but not a nutritionist. I do not have the time nor the desire to be a nutritionist.Its great when you can do that with the pt but that is not one of my goals. I agree with you that Certifications serve as baseline and ensure quality and standardization, which is why I am so upset that someone was so rude to me on here. I give my clients basic nutritional advice and tell them that i am not a certified nutritionist, as all personal trainers should.

Why aren't you certified?
    Personally I'd recommend no one pay money to someone as a nutritionist that isn't certified. Certifications serve as baseline and ensure quality and standardization.