Dairy and Gluten free diet!

Options
2»

Replies

• californiansun
    californiansun Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I should of said that I can't eat just normal eggs. I can have eggs in things, but if I just eat like scrambled eggs, I get extremely sick!

Thanks for the suggestions!!!
    Hi everyone,

I'm going to be starting a diary and gluten free diet soon. I am very unfamiliar with the gluten free diet. Does anyone have any tips on being gluten free, for example; recipes, what to eat, and how to be on a budget while doing this? (I do not have a lot of money and only spend about 50-80 dollars a month on food!) I live in California, and I'm not very familiar if we have any grocery stores besides Trader Joes and Whole foods that offer gluten free products.

Thank you!

Brown Basmati rice
    Polenta
    All beans and legumes
    All vegetables
    All fruits
    Tofu (if you like it)
    Quinoa
    Lean meats
    Fish
    Eggs
    Nut milk
    Hemp seeds
    Chia seeds
    Nut butters
    Flax seed
    Olive oil
    Injera made of teff grain

Avoid falling into the trap of gluten free this, that and the other processed foods. Also avoid the soy fake meat bandwagon because it's nasty stuff that's so sodium-laden.
  • californiansun
    Options
    I am doing this due to an illness. The illness leaves me bedridden and I'm getting sick of it.

Oh no! I didn't think of the spices!!!! :( I need to go look at all of them now. Thank you for bringing that up! I appreciate it!
    I would stick to the basics which are cheap and easy. Rice would be the cheapest staple food for you only because you can buy giant bags of it from places like warehouse clubs. If you have a rice pot, you can make large amounts and live off of it for days. You'll want to get frozen veggies (bulk) so you can eat more nutritional meals. Basically, going gluten free is not a cheap thing. With that kind of budget, you won't be able to afford gluten free pizza crusts or other items like breads. I can tell you though, the breads are not that great (a few are acceptable) so if you're on a budget, stick to rice, potatoes, and probably beans. Beans give some people who are Celiac's problems but I don't know if you have those sorts of issues. You can get gluten free pastas that are pretty good and they are affordable.

Are you doing this because of an illness? Allergy? If you have a gluten issue, it's ok but if you don't - I'd be concerned about the cost of eating right. I'm gluten free due to an allergy and it's not cheap! Also, you're going to discover that some of your spices and staples in the kitchen are not gluten free. You can get Lea and Perrins, individual spices, and some others as gluten free (look for ingredient labels).

I tend to grill a lot of foods and eat leftover rice with extra leftovers. I also bought a mini-crock lunch pot (find them at BJ's, Target, and online at Walmart to take food to work. I just stack the leftovers (including veggies) and plug it into the wall.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    I eat mostly dairy and gluten free. I'm lactose intolerant, and I feel like I get more food for my calories if I don't have gluten. Although I did buy a loaf of bread last weekend for the first time in a few months! I'm also pretty broke, but I have to admit that my food budget is multiple times yours.

I most commonly buy:
    Meat - lean ground beef and boneless skinless chicken breast, cans of tuna, and recently little bags of shrimp (only $1 per serving and a very lean protein source).
    Lots of frozen veggies, I also buy cabbage for salads, and sometimes spinach if it's on sale. There's a farmers market by me, so I try to get cheap seasonal veggies sometimes.
    I buy beans a lot, dry or canned depending on what's on sale.
    Also Bob's Red Mill has things like flax, oats, textured vegetable protein, and such.
    I also get liquid egg whites because I don't like the yolks and almond milk.
  • californiansun
    Options
    Thanks so much! I can't eat the liquid egg whites. Eggs like scrambled for example make me sick.
    I eat mostly dairy and gluten free. I'm lactose intolerant, and I feel like I get more food for my calories if I don't have gluten. Although I did buy a loaf of bread last weekend for the first time in a few months! I'm also pretty broke, but I have to admit that my food budget is multiple times yours.

I most commonly buy:
    Meat - lean ground beef and boneless skinless chicken breast, cans of tuna, and recently little bags of shrimp (only $1 per serving and a very lean protein source).
    Lots of frozen veggies, I also buy cabbage for salads, and sometimes spinach if it's on sale. There's a farmers market by me, so I try to get cheap seasonal veggies sometimes.
    I buy beans a lot, dry or canned depending on what's on sale.
    Also Bob's Red Mill has things like flax, oats, textured vegetable protein, and such.
    I also get liquid egg whites because I don't like the yolks and almond milk.
  • californiansun
    Options
    Is there a reason why you avoid most GF products? The ones I've tried seem ok?

I'm gluten free but still eat some dairy. Feel free to check my diary. I avoid most GF products and stick to meat, veggies, fish, fruits, nuts. There's also a paleo/primal group on MFP and we share lots of meal ideas.
  • lmeola18
    Options
    The cookbook "Cooking for isaah", has plenty of delicious recipes!! All are gluten and dairy free, and you'd never know. I've tried many things from that, haven't found anything I don't like yet!
  • caribougal
    caribougal Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Is there a reason why you avoid most GF products? The ones I've tried seem ok?

I'm gluten free but still eat some dairy. Feel free to check my diary. I avoid most GF products and stick to meat, veggies, fish, fruits, nuts. There's also a paleo/primal group on MFP and we share lots of meal ideas.

I avoid all processed foods, and gluten-free foods are often highly processed and full of added sugars. Plus, expensive. I did try a GF pizza crust once called Chebe, that was made with flour from some sort of root, I think. It was pretty good, but I think next time I'll just make a cauliflower crust or meatza if I'm in the mood for pizza.
  • honneyb1
    Options
    There are a lot of great gluten free and dairy free blogs and forums out there. glutenfreegoddess.com, glutenfreelyfrugal.com, and Gluten Free Homemaker have great recipes and tips. I recommend planning your diet very carefully because things can go south quickly, meaning significant and unintentional weight loss in a short period of time. Unfortunately even with planning, seeking guidance from a doctor or registered dietitian is not a bad idea. Good luck and be careful!
  • FeebRyan
    FeebRyan Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I avoid 'gluten free' becuase they are REALLY expensive and generally full of salt to stabalise them. I make my own food, muffins and such like wil last a day, don't need loads of salt etc. Much better!