Eating back workout calories

Options
Do you eat back your calories burned from working out?

Replies

• kandijo0306
    kandijo0306 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    A lot of people do. I don't. I"m exercising to burn calories, not so I can eat more.
  • 30Purple
    30Purple Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    My daily goal is 1200, so when I burn calories I will likely eat most, if not all of those back so that I am near a net of 1200.
  • OspreyVista
    OspreyVista Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Yes, because I like food and still losing with eating back my calories about 1 lb a week, which is healthy and fine with me! :)
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    I eat at least most of mine back, but I'm in maintenance. When I was losing, I did not, but I ate 1650 a day.
  • jarrett515
    Options
    I totally do most however I do not eat all of them but I do find if I have a lot of calories left even from working out I am hungry and end up with an uncontrolled eating so I do eat back some of my calories but results are different for each person just find what works for you! If you eat them and you don't feel you are getting the results you expect then change it up! Some days I use the fact that I want something more to eat as a drive to work out hehehe
  • irisheyez718
    irisheyez718 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do.
  • mcpjan
    mcpjan Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    My daily goal is 1200 and I normally do not eat back my burn calories.
  • ElizaRoche
    ElizaRoche Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    No i dont.
  • DexterDarko
    Options
    I would never eat back my workout calories. Working out for someone like me is a living hell, I'm not sure if it gets any better as you lose weight, but I know I didn't just go through something that hard to just go and throw it in the trash.

Those extra calories I'm burning are attributing to my calorie deficit, which the bigger the better. If you REALLY love food and are willing to give up that extra calorie deficit, feel free, but I wouldn't be caught dead doing that to myself. But I'm also in a situation that the faster I lose weight the better.
  • GypsysBloodRose26
    GypsysBloodRose26 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I do. Why do something not fun and then deprive myself of something I love. That is pure silliness.
  • needamulligan
    needamulligan Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Yep. Since my restart this June, I've been steadily losing 10/month. I try to do what MFP tells me to do. I've compared where I am to where MFP says I should be in 5 weeks and I'm always within a pound or less of the projection. So, eating my exercise calories has worked just fine for me.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    My goal is 1230 calories per day to lose 2 pounds. I just set it at 1600 and run about 100 miles per month.
  • 30Purple
    30Purple Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Nice loss!!
    Yep. Since my restart this June, I've been steadily losing 10/month. I try to do what MFP tells me to do. I've compared where I am to where MFP says I should be in 5 weeks and I'm always within a pound or less of the projection. So, eating my exercise calories has worked just fine for me.
  • innocenceportrayed
    Options
    When I was only burning 200-300 calories a day I didn't, now that I burn on average 600 I do because I need to get closer to a 1200 calorie net.
    Some do, some dont, I think it's a personal preference.
  • deenaspell
    deenaspell Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I do. I love food.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I do, but that's because I'm on a 1200 calorie a day diet. If I was on a 1700 a day, I wouldn't necessarily eat them back.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Nope.
  • positivepineapple
    Options
    I try not to but I usually do because I'm so hungry and I'm losing anyways.

Plus if I lift weights I know my muscles will use all that fuel repairing fibers and refilling glycogen stores

Actually I go over usually a few times per week and I'm still losing lol, I'm super active
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Do you eat back your calories burned from working out?

I don't. I'm in maintenance and I still don't, but I listen to my body and if I still feel hungry at the end of the day I'll eat 100-200 more calories. But this was not necessary while I was in a deficit and losing because my body had enough fat reserves to manage it.

If you are not losing weight it is something to consider. Especially if you are short. Short people have lower RMR and so I think get frustrated by all the "eat more" mantra and it's not helping them. Eat more may work for taller people.
  • aarilynn
    aarilynn Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't eat back my the calories I worked off ONLY IF I set my activity at something other than sedentary...

I don't trust the calculations they give me for being having a light or moderate lifestyle so I put that I'm sedentary and then I'll add in my activity. Everyday is going to be different for me anyhow. Myfitnesspal does not know if I was more active today than yesterday.

When you set your goal (lose .5 or 2 pounds), it states when you workout you can eat more (and I think this works best when you put sedentary, that way it's only giving you the numbers you burn just being awake and alive).... for example mine says to net 1450 in order to lose .5 pounds... so if I worked out like I did today, burned 300, I've got 1750 calories to eat... and I'll lose that .5 pounds per week. Actually, Im not losing weight though b/c I don't have much to lose and Im currently trying to actually net 1360-1450. But yes, I'm eating more if I work out ... I don't like to call it eating back my excerise calories... I call it fuel. :)