Drinking calories in beer

Options

Replies

• MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Yikes, I could never get myself to drink a beer with 500 calories! Luckily I'm a Guinness girl and its pretty low cal for beer. It's deliciously thick, creamy, and satisfying. But if microbrews are your thing and they have 500 calories, more power to you. I guess I would just suggest that the calories you DO eat on those days are packed with protein and vitamins.
  • needamulligan
    needamulligan Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Have you seen the website getdrunknotfat.com? Cheers!
  • frj85
    frj85 Posts: 62
    Options
    say I have a problem or whatever, but I know, tomorrow night I am going out with friends and if I didnt drink like I normally do, I wouldnt have fun because I like my beer...but thats just ME luckily, I keep my intake around 1500 during the week, so 15 beers is roughly 2000 cals, im exercising in the am, and wont eat much...I managed to lose 75lbs, basically, using saturday as a "splurge day" most of the calories came in beer
  • idnkt
    idnkt Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I love beer myself and used to drink it daily. I now usually save it for once a week I eat less calories during that day and have a good workout. Then I go out and drink how ever much I want. Your right the beer calories add up fast even drinking light beer but also not willing to give it up.
  • jonibc
    jonibc Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Reading the replies to your excellent question, I'm realizing there are a LOT of non-drinkers on this site. Anyway, I save calories every day to drink a couple of glasses of wine each night. Then there are times, i.e. my girlfriend getaway weekend, when I figured, WTF, it's twice a year, enjoy it. So I counted my food calories and ignored the wine. I still lost 2 lbs that week. Today I had a REALLY BAD day. I am counting my wine calories and I'm going over for the day. I'm not over enough to gain weight but I'm not losing any today either. But, I'm being honest with myself. And to all you sanctimonious people who think everyone should be able to deal with anything life throws at you without drinking...I salute your strength. As for me, I need to be soothed and cabernet sauvignon is (nearly) as good as a massage.
  • mearlie
    mearlie Posts: 224
    Options
    Bottom line is, some people enjoy their libations! And there's nothing wrong with that as long as you are being honest, you can still lose weight. Or so I hope, lol
  • benodie
    benodie Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    . As for me, I need to be soothed and cabernet sauvignon is (nearly) as good as a massage.

couldn't agree more! :drinker: :happy:
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    Yikes, I could never get myself to drink a beer with 500 calories! Luckily I'm a Guinness girl and its pretty low cal for beer. It's deliciously thick, creamy, and satisfying. But if microbrews are your thing and they have 500 calories, more power to you. I guess I would just suggest that the calories you DO eat on those days are packed with protein and vitamins.

FYI, Guinness is NOT low cal by beer standards. It's pretty hearty in that respect.
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    *** Then I realized that my quality of life suffered greatly, so I started drinking again*** Wow this sounds really sad! I probably average drinking alcohol once a month so can't have any input here, apologies!

Not so sad. All things in moderation.

Since I have to drop some food for my day when I drink, I think twice now, but I also feel my life is richer by enjoying a nice glass of wine, scotch, ale, whatever when the situation arises.
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    I just add it to the diary and try to keep to budget. Like you I also only drink decent beer (microbrews, or similar).

Congrats on your progress!
  • Metspride129
    Metspride129 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    is giving up drinking really not worth your health? and its bringing the quality of your life down? you really need a new perspective on life my friend, or you need to get your *kitten* to some AA meetings, because honestly, keep up bad habits like that and you'll never be healthy
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    *** Then I realized that my quality of life suffered greatly, so I started drinking again*** Wow this sounds really sad! I probably average drinking alcohol once a month so can't have any input here, apologies!

Since I have to drop some food for my day when I drink, I think twice now, but I also feel my life is richer by enjoying a nice glass of wine, scotch, ale, whatever when the situation arises.

I agree, this is very sad. If a person feels that their quality of life suffers because they can not have alcohol, then that is not called moderation, that is called an obsession of the mind. To deny your body food and nutrition so one can pollute their bodies with sugar laden alcohol is incredibly sad. BTW, its not just calories in alcohol that matters to weight loss. Alcohol is made from sugar and metabolizes differently in our bodies than regular "from food" calories.

And anyone that wants to choose to blast me for these words, please note that I do not give a chit and know that I do know what I am talking about. Another thing, if this angers you, then that is something you may want to think about. :bigsmile:
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    Options
    When I was drinking, I'd log my beer early in the day or the day before so I knew how much to work with. Or if I went over, I'd just go exercise it off. Problem solved.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Quality over quantity!

I like beer. I make beer. I read about beer. I talk about beer. I even, on occasion, drink beer ;-)

I lost over 40 lb this year by cutting back on the amount I drank (and exercising). To me, it is one of those things that I'm not willing to give up... yet at least. If it messes with my blood sugar (I'm prediabetic) I'll have to readdress that. But for now, I'm going to keep drinking beer.

Sure, getting healthy is a lifestyle change, but it has to be a change that one can live with. If you like beer, and can fit it in your diet and keep losing weight (or maintaining now for me), then I personally don't see a problem with that.
  • newmooon56
    newmooon56 Posts: 347 Member
    Options

Was wondering if I was the only one who caught this- quality of life goes down without alcohol? Sometimes Im sorry its legal I swear...

But- what my friend did that cant quit either is- he saves up calories as soon as he feels the itch to drink that night (Id call that an addiction, but the drinkers dont and Im no doctor, so anyway... ) Hes also changed which beer he drinks- to a lower calorie one. I guess hed rather have 4 crappy beers then a nice micro most times- but once in a while he REALLY saves some cals and has some better quality stuff.

Id guess saving calories for evils - like some of us do for desserts and/or treats is the best way since quitting isnt an option for many. On the road to better health Im a little confused how making evils fit becomes part of the equation... yea yea that whole "if I cut out all the good stuff I'll never get there" line - BUT-
    How serious about Good Health can you really be if keeping the worst offenders in your diet is really part of your ultimate goal?
  • brittamh
    brittamh Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    :huh: beer....puh leeez i trry to save mine for the good stuff... like rum,vodka, bourbon, and whisky:drinker:

waaahhh?! I thought beer was the good stuff? :wink: I save some calories for some beer and football on the weekends.
  • newmooon56
    newmooon56 Posts: 347 Member
    Options

I agree, this is very sad. If a person feels that their quality of life suffers because they can not have alcohol, then that is not called moderation, that is called an obsession of the mind. To deny your body food and nutrition so one can pollute their bodies with sugar laden alcohol is incredibly sad. BTW, its not just calories in alcohol that matters to weight loss. Alcohol is made from sugar and metabolizes differently in our bodies than regular "from food" calories.

And anyone that wants to choose to blast me for these words, please note that I do not give a chit and know that I do know what I am talking about. Another thing, if this angers you, then that is something you may want to think about. :bigsmile:

I personally agree. Alcoholism is a pervasive problem in this county. Many ignore it because most alcoholics go to work and are not falling down drunk homeless criminals. They have families and jobs and even manage most days to make it to 5 oclock before drowning their lives in the stuff. There are too many ppl that drink (and dont drink) that believe if you can control your addiction you're not actually addicted.

I like to believe that one healthy habit leads to another- the friend I spoke about in my last reply now only drinks 3 or 4 low cal. beers when he used binge a few times a week on 15 or 18 crappy beers or a whole bottle of wine- sometimes a bottle and half. His new ways have left him with a stomach that actually cant handle the binges any more and he's embracing it. Im happy to see some more control- though I wouldnt call it SELF control - its the body demanding more and hes trying to listen... Really I think he misses his binges in a odd way.

I used to eat all the cookies - I though it would be great when I learned to control how many I ate. Now I skip cookies in favor of other foods - its just where my tastes went. I see in my friend that same can happen with whatever 'wrong' food once drove us as he is cutting back on alcohol consumption naturally and not on purpose.
  • mrramsey
    Options
    is giving up drinking really not worth your health? and its bringing the quality of your life down? you really need a new perspective on life my friend, or you need to get your *kitten* to some AA meetings, because honestly, keep up bad habits like that and you'll never be healthy

Hit the nail on the head with this one!

Now, I do enjoy a good beer occasionally and better yet a good cab. If the quality of life is diminished without or with less of it then there is a much bigger issue going on.
  • onehurt
    onehurt Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Wow it is interesting what people post! I figure to each his own, there are some here that post "how do you make room for the sweet dessert?" I don't figure it is any different then this post. It is something that a person likes to consume either way. And the general reply is to plan ahead so it falls in your calories. I do that when I know I am going out on the weekend etc.Also need to do the same thing if I get invited to a wedding or out for a meal at a friends house. I don't expect the rest of the world to eat the way I do ! So all this being said I have been losing weight along with several beers,wine and a few mixed drinks along the way!

Just my $.02,
    Mark
  • Dwamma
    Dwamma Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    "Then I realized that my quality of life suffered greatly, so I started drinking again, but instead of drinking every day,"

So sad to hear this. You are better than your beer and you can move forward and away from it! Sorry but I don't drink....never really have and never will so I can't really answer your question....but I will Pray for you!