How many calories are you guys eating in a day?

Options

Replies

• Deisel1974
    Deisel1974 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Ahhhh, this saves me from having to make another thread. The question was going to be, Do any of you take days "off" ? And if so, how far can you go offtrack in one day ?

EDIT: This was supposed to be tacked on as a quote from someone else, sorry to hijack.
  • sin485
    sin485 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    What are your opinions on how many calories you should be eating? A lot of people say not to eat under 1200. What are your opinions and experiences?

Oh, and feel free to add me for motivation and whatnot! :)

mine says 1200, checked my bmr and its about 1236 so i figured id stick to that. most the time i eat back my excersise cals too so it depends whether i work out or not really
  • ipsamet
    ipsamet Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    1900-2500, depending on if it's a day I've worked out or not.
  • allisonmrn
    allisonmrn Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    It varies, but I eat enough to fuel my workouts. I judge it based on energy levels, mood, and hunger, and cravings. I follow the Metabolic Effect teachings for female fat loss. This is a response to this question by my "dream" man Dr jade Teta....

The idea that people would think that the calories on a women without hunger, no cravings and and high energy levels is too low is really a major block to understanding hormonal metabolism. Having arbitrary numbers in your head like the brain requires X calories or a person of a certain weight requires X calories is part of the reason people are so confused about what fat loss takes. The calories are a secondary concern with this. The idea that calories drive metabolism in this way is simply not true. It is also not wise for us to make a statement/prediction about too low calories form a single day of intake. In reality calorie intake fluctuates between low days, high days and moderate days. Unless you are a rigid calorie counter, which we don't advise. Are we suppose to eat the same amount of calories every single day? What is the right amount? The impossibility and shortsightedness of this way of thinking is something that fat loss seekers should work hard to avoid. It is true that we each have a certain amount of energy required to keep our bodies functioning every single day. If this women eats less than 800 calories does her brain suddenly shut off? Of course not........she derives the extra calories she needs from stored glucose fat and protein...........her hunger, energy and cravings as well as her fat loss results tell us she was making up the difference in and calorie deficit by burning her own stored fat. This is the whole point.......are we suppose to regualte her intake to where her body gets all the energy it needs from food? If we do that, she is not going to lose her stored fat. This type of thinking will get you in trouble. Calories are not the drivers of metabolism, hormones are.---Jade
  • RushBabe214
    RushBabe214 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    TDEE - 15%, which for me right now is 1709 calories per day. I don't believe anyone should be consuming less than 1200 calories per day.
  • Cheryl1018
    Options
    My daily goal is 1210. I stay pretty close to that, sometimes a little more or less. I am 5'5 and I want to lose 20 lbs. Lost 10 so far.
  • NickiRae04
    NickiRae04 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    The calories you eat all depend on what your BMR and TDEE is

The rule is DO NOT eat under your BMR and if you are trying to lose weight eat 10-20% under your TDEE.

My BMR is 1470 My TDEE is 1780 at sedentary (which means no activity/office job) so I eat around 1584 calories. I work out 6 days a week as well

Check out my social media links below for help

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NickisFitnessJourney
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/NickiRae04
    Blog: http://nickisfitnessjourney.blogspot.com/
    My Fitness Pal: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/NickiRae04
  • debbiekuhn123
    debbiekuhn123 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I am eating at TDEE - 20% which for me is about 1600 cals. TDEE is different for everyone, it is an estimate based on your height, weight, age, gender, and activity level.

I started at 1200 here but I was starving all the time, I only lost a couple of pounds and then all weight loss stopped. It wasn't enough. If you are very small, it might be enough for you, or if you are very obese, it can be okay to eat that way for a time. But eventually you may need to change your calculations and goals.
  • candicejn
    candicejn Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I try to net around 1400 per day (my BMR is around there). I eat most of my exercise calories back, plus I have a Fitbit so I know if I'm more or less active some days and I'll adjust based on that : )
  • lovelessofme
    Options
    I am for 1530 per day...
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I use the TDEE - 20% method and that gives me 1900 calories a day. And I eat every one of them.

The longest plateau I've been on lasted 2 months and happened when I dropped my calories to 1200-1400. I'm not going back to that.
  • swagoner94
    swagoner94 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    well I'm like dying at 1200 calories...
    I set the thing for losing 1 1/2 lbs a week. I find these calories kind of light and it leaves me hungry midday and at night. I'm never really "FULL", only temporarily satisfied. I guess that's how it ought to be though.
  • joeamendiola
    Options
    I aim for 1600 calories a day. If I get some exercise, I might go up as high as 2000. I always try to stay below 2000. I don't believe in eating all the calories you burn like some people because I know it doesn't work for me.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    well I'm like dying at 1200 calories...
    I set the thing for losing 1 1/2 lbs a week. I find these calories kind of light and it leaves me hungry midday and at night. I'm never really "FULL", only temporarily satisfied. I guess that's how it ought to be though.

No, it doesn't have to be that way. Check out the "In place of a road map" link that someone mentioned earlier in this thread.
  • Ellas_Time_4_Change
    Options
    I aim for 1900-2100 cals most days but when I'm under, I usually make up for it later in the week with a cheat meal.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    TDEE minus 10-20%

This.
    Yep. Read the first post in this thread and do the calculations Dan sets out for you:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

This!
  • FitspoEm
    FitspoEm Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    usually its anywhere between 1000 and 1400.

i vary it depends on the day :)
  • plus_chocolate
    Options
    myfitnesspal say I need 1970 but I can't even get to 1600
  • brownm33
    brownm33 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    1200-1600...depends how much exercise I get each day. I started to really lose weight and tone up when I started eating half (or more) of my exercise calories back. I started out at 137 pounds and am down to 120. I'm also 5'3". I would still like to lose 5 more pounds.