doctor recommended South Beach

Options
At my recent physical, I was telling my doctor how difficult it is for me to lose weight because of my sugar cravings. She recommended South Beach. I see that some people on mfp follow SB . . . do you track your calories as well? It looks like SB isn't about tracking calories, just choosing different foods.

I think my biggest challenge will be not having my morning coffee with sugar. I'm not a big fan of artificial sweeteners, so I guess I might have to go without coffee. Yikes.

Replies

• Jfields109
    Options
    I have on cup of coffee each morning. You might want to try 4 drops of Agave. Its a natural sweetener.
  • krisann27
    Options
    and agave is allowed in phase 1?
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    and agave is allowed in phase 1?
    it's just a different form of sugar. http://www.westonaprice.org/modern-foods/agave-nectar-worse-than-we-thought

A drop of cream in your coffee perhaps ?
  • CharityD
    Options
    The first weeks SUCKS but you will see big results if you can stick to it.
  • krisann27
    Options
    The first weeks SUCKS but you will see big results if you can stick to it.

Oy. lol
  • millerll
    millerll Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Ask yourself: Are you willing to follow this eating plan for the rest of your life? If so, then have at it. If not, then you will likely end up right back where you are now. That's why I'm not a big fan of "diets". Most people find them too restricting, and eventually give up. Find a lifestyle that will get you to your goal weight and keep you there, and you'll be successful. Good luck!
  • krisann27
    Options
    Ask yourself: Are you willing to follow this eating plan for the rest of your life? If so, then have at it. If not, then you will likely end up right back where you are now. That's why I'm not a big fan of "diets". Most people find them too restricting, and eventually give up. Find a lifestyle that will get you to your goal weight and keep you there, and you'll be successful. Good luck!

Yep, that's kind of how I feel about it too -- and why I've never tried it before. I just love carbs too much. Even grocery shopping today and thinking about trying it this week was overwhelming. My Doc thinks it would really help me to get past my carb cravings but I know I couldn't do it long term.
  • krisann27
    Options
    but then I wonder if I *should* be following it long term . . . sigh
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    South Beach phase 1 was recommended to me too, but only for 2 weeks. I had serious problems with water retention, which was the main reason for the recommendation. I dumped 13 pounds really quickly. But 2 weeks was long enough to break the worst of my sugar cravings too. After the 2 weeks I switched over to counting calories and had little difficulty sticking to a moderate carb, highly restricted processed sugar diet.
  • krisann27
    Options
    South Beach phase 1 was recommended to me too, but only for 2 weeks. I had serious problems with water retention, which was the main reason for the recommendation. I dumped 13 pounds really quickly. But 2 weeks was long enough to break the worst of my sugar cravings too. After the 2 weeks I switched over to counting calories and had little difficulty sticking to a moderate carb, highly restricted processed sugar diet.

OK, that's what I'm wondering --if doing it short term will help curb the cravings. My doc said she did it for a short time (maybe a month or two?) and found it curbed her cravings.

But grocery shopping today I was just like, "I can't do it." sigh.
  • QueenofScott
    QueenofScott Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Hi! I chose South Beach because I really wanted to dump my sugar cravings. I was skeptical, but it actually worked. I honestly am not craving all those things I used to. Definitely the first two weeks are the hardest....Phase 1.... No carbs of any kind. After that you get to add back in whole grains and most fruits. I started on August 20 and did not count calories, I just followed the plan laid out in the book. Then three weeks ago I found MFP and could not resist the diet and exercise journal, so I have been consistently logging in and completing my journal. I don't know that it's necessary, but I am a regimented person, so I like that it gives me more structure. I wish you all the best with South Beach! Please feel free to add me as a friend....I haven't come across many people here on South Beach.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Phase III of south beach is basically: eat healthy, aim for whole foods.
    It's not really a "diet" by then.
  • jalara
    jalara Posts: 2,622 Member
    Options
    Did your doc see your food diary? Or refer you to a Registered Dietitian for proper nutritional counselling? Or just suggest a fad diet?
  • myfitnessval
    myfitnessval Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    i have to kind of ditto the diet as a lifestyle comment above. it might be best to approach this with a "this is my detox" mindset for the first phase. that being said once you get past the first two weeks you'll be golden. a LOT of those cravings will subside. keep tracking your calories because i find its really hard to MEET my goal and feel like i'm starving while on SB so make sure to get in A LOTS of protein (like with every single meal and snack) in order to keep that hunger away. also rely on healthy fats to help you feel full longer as well. also about the coffee thing, i use stevia, its a natural plant extract that tastes like sugar but isnt a sugar, its wonderful! try it!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Hi! I chose South Beach because I really wanted to dump my sugar cravings. I was skeptical, but it actually worked. I honestly am not craving all those things I used to. Definitely the first two weeks are the hardest....Phase 1.... No carbs of any kind. After that you get to add back in whole grains and most fruits. I started on August 20 and did not count calories, I just followed the plan laid out in the book. Then three weeks ago I found MFP and could not resist the diet and exercise journal, so I have been consistently logging in and completing my journal. I don't know that it's necessary, but I am a regimented person, so I like that it gives me more structure. I wish you all the best with South Beach! Please feel free to add me as a friend....I haven't come across many people here on South Beach.
    This is incorrect and VERY misleading. Just plain WRONG.
    There are TONS of carbs in the first two weeks. Just no sugar, no fruit, no fruit juice, no "grains".
    Vegetables, beans etc... all have carbs.
    http://www.southbeach-diet-plan.com/shoppinglist_p1.htm
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Isn't it generally ONLY recommended for two weeks? I mean for everyone (except those who are told to skip it).
  • NanoBear
    Options
    Regarding your morning coffee, what type of coffee do you drink? Is it instant coffee? A lot of people who are used to instant find that real coffee (from an espresso/cappuccino machine) is easy to drink without milk or sugar. It doesn't have the harsh burnt taste of instant. In can be costly to get a decent machine for home, but it comes down to how essential your coffee is :P
  • QueenofScott
    Options
    I don't really think of South Beach as a diet. As someone mentioned above, Phase 3 is your way of eating for life, while being able to have treats occasionally. It really is just healthy eating....lean protein, veggies, fruits, healthy fats, whole grains, seeds, nuts. And you eat six times a day, so I have never been hungry. Desserts, white breads and pastas, as well as white rice will be occasional treats for me down the road. I have been perfectly satisfied with my whole grain pasta, brown rice, and Ezekiel bread, and I never would have thought that possible. Obviously I am a fan! I urge you to give it a try, at least a week or so I to Phase 2 and see if it works for you.
  • QueenofScott
    Options
    Excuse me, Sabine....sorry to have accidentally spoken incorrectly and angered or offended you. I should have said no fruits, breads, pastas or rices. But then, the OP would know this, assuming she has read the book. No need to be so mean.
  • QueenofScott
    Options
    Also, it seems to me that if you only do the first two weeks (phase 1) and then go back to eating all the things your formerly craved, those cravings would come back, defeating the purpose of ever doing Phase 1. Just my two cents. We all need to do what works for us and what we feel is best for us, and what works for us. Good luck to you all, however you choose to lose.