53 years young, 50 pounds to lose, and looking for diet budd

Options
Hey all! I am 53, from San Francisco, and looking for some diet buddies in the 40-50+ age range. I have about 50 pounds to lose. In addition to having a positive and cheerful outlook, I am a good listener and a nonjudgmental, but honest friend, who also appreciates honesty in others. You can read more about me in my first blog entry, http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/siobhannestor/view/hello-community-14610. Let's do this together!

Replies

• BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    Hey all! I am 53, from San Francisco, and looking for some diet buddies in the 40-50+ age range. I have about 50 pounds to lose. In addition to having a positive and cheerful outlook, I am a good listener and a nonjudgmental, but honest friend, who also appreciates honesty in others. You can read more about me in my first blog entry, http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/siobhannestor/view/hello-community-14610. Let's do this together!

Hi, and welcome to THE best site on the web! :flowerforyou:
    Between the easy to use food counter (which by the way is SUCH an eye opener!) and all the wonderfully supportive members, you WILL be able to lose the weight that you want to, AND, it'll "almost" be easy doing it! :wink:
    I recommend logging ALL your foods BEFORE you have them, rather than later, as it tends to lead to better food choices. (not to mention you'll know if you've got enough numbers left to have a night time snack, like I ALWAYS try to do!) Some people also like to weigh and measure some things, such as meats, rather than just estimating and possibly being WAY off! :noway:
    Don't go making the mistake that if you have LOTS of numbers left at the end of the day that you'll lose even faster, because that DOESN'T happen. Feel free to read any info about the site in the "help" section at the top of the home page. And also under "Community", then "Weight Loss and Healthy Living", then "general diet and weight loss help", and then check out the first few threads. They'll REALLY help you understand how MFP works. :smile:
    Before coming here, I had tried just about EVERYTHING out there, including hypnosis, TWICE, and nothing really worked until MFP! :love:
    Also, drink LOTS of water, it REALLY DOES help! :drinker:
    As far as exercise goes, it doesn't always have to be awful. For my exercise, I walk almost every day, (weather permitting!) I also dance to a fast oldies CD that my husband made up of all my favorite old songs. (Like "Love Shack", Wild, Wild West", "Mony, Mony", "Footloose", and "Gloria")
    It's free, (unlike a gym!) fun, and I can even watch tv at the same time, so I never get bored! :happy:
    I also have Wii Fit, and jog to that, which is a lot of fun, and easy too! :smile:
    So, to make a LONG story short, make good food choices, eat in moderation, get some exercise, and you WILL lose the weight that you want to! :smile:
  • siobhannestor
    Options
    Hi Bren, and congratulations on your weight loss so far, proof that this site really works. Thank you for the welcome and the tips! They were excellent. I think that I am lucky in the exercise department, as I actually enjoy it. The trick for me is to make time for it, even during heavy work periods, when I often slack off, particularly if I'm not getting a lot of sleep. Hope to see you around.
  • Minerva
    Minerva Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    [/quote

Hi! and welcome! I'm 51 and also have about 50 pounds left to lose. I'm part of a group you might like- it's called the "5 pound a month 20210 challenge". We all just started this month as we figure at 5/month we can make our goal by the end of the year. We weigh in each Friday just to keep us on track.
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    Hi Bren, and congratulations on your weight loss so far, proof that this site really works. Thank you for the welcome and the tips! They were excellent. I think that I am lucky in the exercise department, as I actually enjoy it. The trick for me is to make time for it, even during heavy work periods, when I often slack off, particularly if I'm not getting a lot of sleep. Hope to see you around.

Thanks for the congrats, my newest friend! :smile: :flowerforyou:
    No doubt about it, you WILL see me around! I don't plan to EVER leave MFP! It's made SUCH a difference in my life, and I hope it will in yours too! :bigsmile: :happy:
  • modeknit
    Options
    I'm 48 and just finished up a few months on WW. I lost 28 lbs, but was recently diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and just feel the extra expense of weekly meetings a bit beyond me right now. But I want to continue my progress!

I live in MN, find it hard to be VERY active in the cold, but I've been making myself do 30 minutes on Wii fit at least 4 times a week, that makes a BIG difference in both my weight AND my movement with FM. Even if it's just a balance game, getting on the board keeps me 'honest'

I recently went gluten free in hopes if easing the FM pain, so that's an extra challenge, but one that I think will be VERY positive!
  • siobhannestor
    Options
    Hi ModeKnit - it's nice to meet you. I have a coworker who loves Wii Fit. I have difficulty with gluten, also. I went gluten free for a long time, now eat limited amounts of wheat (my limit is one serving per day). Would love to know how that goes.