All you morning gym-goers...

Options
hesn92
hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
Give me some words of encouragement. I have tried a few times to get up at the *ss crack of dawn to go to the gym before work but it just didn't happen. My alarm went off and I said "meh. I think I'll just keep sleeping." but going at night just isn't working for me anymore. I'm too tired by the end of the day to go work out.

How do you do it??? Does it get easier? Lol!

Replies

• IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Sleep earlier.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Ohhh I do. I go to bed as soon as I can.
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    It's hard for the first week or so. After that I started to realize how much more I get done when I go before work...I also have more energy during the day. It's SO inconvenient now to go after work. I have to pack lunches, feed our dog and make dinner and do dishes...and...and...and....there's more to do than I have time to do it, so I'd rather get the workout over with before work (ensuring I'll do it and not make excuses AFTER work) than try to go after I've had a long day working...

It's not for everyone, but if you can get used to it, I can guarantee it's worth it
  • sin485
    sin485 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Give me some words of encouragement. I have tried a few times to get up at the *ss crack of dawn to go to the gym before work but it just didn't happen. My alarm went off and I said "meh. I think I'll just keep sleeping." but going at night just isn't working for me anymore. I'm too tired by the end of the day to go work out.

How do you do it??? Does it get easier? Lol!

it DOES get easier! it becomes a habit! stick with it for a couple of weeks! get your workout done in the morning so its out of the way and you dont leave it til night time then put it off. cause thats what i used to do!
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Of course it gets easier, but it is going take a conscious effort for you to change your sleep pattern, but then it will become the norm.
    Obviously if you then stay up late and sleep in on the weekends, it will be hard again on the Monday morning.
  • frefrebelle
    frefrebelle Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I am NOT a morning person...or for that matter a gym person, but after barely seeing my son in the evenings and not getting to spend any time with my husband, I bit the bullet and started going in the mornings before work - much to the amusement of everyone who knows me.

It is hellish and I can't say that I enjoy it, but it DOES get easier and also I find that I have more energy during the day and am able to push myself further at the gym.

My advice is to pack your bag the night before, have your gym clothes laid out, so you can just roll out of bed into your kit and walk out the door all on automatic pilot.

I have also found that the worst bit is hauling your *kitten* out of beds, once you've done that the rest works itself out.

Lastly, it becomes habit forming, so now I go 3 mornings a week and my body / brain just accepts it.

Good luck!

F :)
  • Zara11
    Zara11 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Put your alarm clock on the other side of the room, and put your workout clothes on top of it?
  • eksproductions
    eksproductions Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I needed this thread!
  • allisonmrn
    allisonmrn Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    GO to bed at a reasonable time. BE excited to go. SET alarm. WEAR workout clothes to bed or lay them out the night before. AND DO IT!!!! x
  • lunglady
    lunglady Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Just do it! The regret of not doing it is far worse then the initial shock of getting out of bed. And you feel so much better after you've done it.

Put your alarm clock out of reach.
    Put out your clothes the night before.
  • johncaraher
    johncaraher Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    As other have said, it's a pain at first but you need to develop a habit; then it gets easy. I have to eat first so when I hear the alarm I switch my focus to breakfast immediately. Mmmm, what am I gonna eat? That builds a little momentum for me...
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Try hiding your alarm,and put it on the most annoying ring ever. When it goes off,then you'll have no choice but to get up and try to find it. By that point since you're already up,that may make it easier to get dressed and head to the gym
  • Khymera
    Options
    It gets easier, especially once you realize that working out before work gives you more energy to get you through the day. I've also found that it makes me more patient.

Now there are days when I practically LEAP out of bed to get to the gym.
  • Khymera
    Options
    Just do it! The regret of not doing it is far worse then the initial shock of getting out of bed. And you feel so much better after you've done it.

Put your alarm clock out of reach.
    Put out your clothes the night before.

This! My gym bag is packed and my clothes are ready before I go to bed.
  • sionnain
    Options
    get a friend that likes to work out to go w/ you - then you can push each other and feel bad for canceling plans! :)
  • bahlquist
    Options
    Just think of it as the way you start your day. Just like if you have to get up for work at a specific time.
    It will soon become part of your daily routine.
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I hate the morning. Like despise it. That being said if I dont work out first thing Monday-Friday it aint happening so I set my alarm for five and suck it up. I also don't go to the gym because the extra 15 minutes to srive there, get my stffinthe locker room etc is time I just don't have so I workout at home (doing Be Fit in 90 right now getting good results so far)

Because I am a trainwreck in the am I have my workout clothes and my clothes for after my shower laid out the night before.I have my lunch packed and ready to go. When the alarm goes off I get right up hard as it is an the first thing I do is change into my workout clothes. If im not in my jammies getting back in the bed isnt as appealing.
  • slrrese
    slrrese Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Just think of it as the way you start your day. Just like if you have to get up for work at a specific time.
    It will soon become part of your daily routine.

This!! I do it but I have a workout room in my house. I get up at 4:30 and get on my bike half asleep, but the time I am totally awake I am done with my workout. :-) It will get easier and now it has become such a habit that I normally even get up at 4:30-5 on the weekends too... sleeping in for me is 6am.
  • mutinypunisher
    mutinypunisher Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    In short...just go! It gets easier as time goes on.
  • Newf77
    Newf77 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Do not stay in bed, when the alarm activates swing your legs over the edge of the bed before you deactivate it. My roommate has to set their alarm an hour before me because they like to stay in bed and slowly wake-up, whereas when my alarm activates I am movein' out of the renumbered position. Once you get-up half the battle is won, now you know, Go Joe.