All you morning gym-goers...

Options

Replies

• bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    I was NEVER a morning person. Getting up in college for 9am classes was rough- probably because I stayed up til 1am every night. But that's part of the reason why I'm here- living across the street from a bar wasn't good for the waistline.

But ANYWHO. I decided to start going before work because I didn't have enough time to do anything but the gym if I went afterwards. Or I'd think "I have so much to do tonight I don't have time to go to the gym." So I started getting up at 4:30am everyday and hitting the gym til 6:30. It was really rough for the first 2-3 weeks, especially with the boyfriend always telling me "to stay and cuddle" :grumble: .... That definitely doesn't help. But I stuck to it- and now I actually enjoy going in the morning- it's a little more peaceful, you don't have to fight for machines or weights, and after work I have my whole night to do what I want!
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Also, a little trick I like to do is sleep in my gym clothes (at least a sports bra and pants/shorts) that way when you wake up all you have to do is throw on a shirt and shoes and you're ready to go! I also fill up my water bottle so all I have to do is grab it from the fridge.
  • NiagaraCheryl
    NiagaraCheryl Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Thankfully, my gym is only 5 minutes from my home. So I'm able to get up at 6:30 and be at the gym by 7:00. My workout clothes are laid out the night before so I slip into them, grab a banana, check e-mail, then head out the door.

Since I live close enough to the gym, I do my workout then come home to shower and change for work. This saves a ton of time since I'm not having to pack a gym bag and then sort through all my stuff to shower and change there.

I am not a morning person either, so took me awhile to get into it. But I did get used to it and it's habit now. The best thing is having time in the evenings. I feel like I get to see my husband and children more.
  • nbounds001
    Options
    The way I see it, if I sleep an hour later and the alarm goes off again, its still not going to be fun to have to get up. So might just as well get it over and done with the first time the alarm goes off! :)
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Every morning I remind myself how much better I will feel for just having done it. I know I won't get it accomplished at any other time of day so if it's going to get done, it's getting done @ 5:30am. Like other said, the hardest part is just getting out of bed. Once you do the rest takes care of itself. My recommendationw would be to keep at it. It will eventually get a little easier or hopefully at least prove itself to be worth it. Habits take a while to form though so don't give up on the morning!
  • jjj1988
    jjj1988 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • Khymera
    Khymera Posts: 67
    Options
    Dumb questions, to a.m. gym-goers: do you bring your work outfits with you to the gym, and shower there?

If you wear sunscreen, do you put it on both before the gym and after you shower?

To all: What happens with breakfast?

1) Yes.
    2) I don't wear sunscreen but I get to the gym so early that the sun comes up while I'm working out.
    3) I eat breakfast (usually oatmeal from the cafeteria) after I get to work.
  • Impy84
    Impy84 Posts: 430
    Options
    It' doesn't get easier.
    Getting fat was easy.
    Undoing all of that is gonna take work. I get up once the alarm goes off because I know it's what I HAVE to do.
  • iluvprettyshoes
    iluvprettyshoes Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I get up at 4 am and it sucks. You just have to do it. And once you do and get yourself there it feels good. Major feeling of accomplishment and a great way to start the day!
  • vnakkar
    vnakkar Posts: 30
    Options
    Lay out everything you need the night before. When I wake up, I'm out the door within 7 minutes.

The best thing to do is find someone to go with! A co-worker, a friend, a neighbor.. .someone who will give you the stink eye when you don't show. Peer pressure is a wonderful thing!
  • SweetMe1
    SweetMe1 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I do my cardio (stationary bike and walking) at home in the mornings, but gym (resistance training) I do in the late afternoon. I do it that way because I work part-time three times a week in a town 15 miles away where my gym is so I go there after work. This saves on traveling time and gas. I also like it because it's quieter and less busy at that time of day and I can easily access the machines I need. I go to the gym to exercise. I think many of those who go in the mornings (at least at my gym LOL) go there more to socialize.
  • mcpjan
    mcpjan Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I am a morning person but still found it hard to got the the gym. But now that I have been doing it for a few months I actually enjoy it. I find I have more time in the evenings to do what I want and if I eat too much I have time to work it off. You will find it gets easier the more you do it. As other have said get everything ready the night before and place your alarm on the other side of the room so you have to get up anyway. Just tell yourself I have to do it, just like you have to get up to go to work this is your second job.
  • ScubaAmyMN
    ScubaAmyMN Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    Yes to all the great tips people have listed. I'm not a morning person either, and have slept in my workout clothes prior to morning workouts. Just one tip to add: if you have good MFP friends, I find that declaring my intentions on MFP the night before is the absolutely best way for me to get out of bed. I lie there for a few seconds wondering what excuse I could come up with on MFP if I don't workout, and then feel dishonest and get up and get going. Then I always report back to MFP after the morning workout.
  • jr1985
    jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    What had helped me is to set my alarm clock on the other side of the room so I physically have to get up out of bed to turn it off... Then just do it, don't sit and think about it... you will ALWAYS be glad you did.
  • rachelhohenbrink
    rachelhohenbrink Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Workout at home before your day begins. I have never set foot in a gym and I have accomplished all my goals at home.
  • eatcleanNtraindirty
    eatcleanNtraindirty Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Smelling salts next to your alarm
  • Williamj
    Williamj Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Just like everyone says, it gets easier and easier. When I work out in the morning it gives me energy for the rest of the day. When I work out in the afternoon / evening I just feel like I'm already tired and not getting as good of a workout because of it.
  • walkersallymae
    walkersallymae Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    So I'm not an early morning person either and I set up this routine which required me to get up at 4:45 AM 4 days a week. It was killing me! When I ended up wearing my mother in laws underwear one day I decided it was over with the early morniongs and cut back to 2 days of 4:45 AM. The rest of the week I work out at lunch time or in the afternoon. Morale of the story try just doing it a couple of days Once you can swing that perhaps you can add more mornings
  • vals83
    vals83 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Yes it does get easier. If you can get past the 2nd week It just because a habit. You have to make to set it in your mind that this is not an option. It is your responsibility to get out of bed and start your day. I've found that if I get too much sleep it's just as hard for me to get out of bed as if I had gone to bed too late. I had to play with the the times and I found that 7-7.5 hrs asleep is plenty for me. You just need to find your sweet spot. If you can stomach it try eating a banana before you head it. The burst of sugar helps you wake up.
  • jensweighingin
    jensweighingin Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Dumb questions, to a.m. gym-goers: do you bring your work outfits with you to the gym, and shower there?

If you wear sunscreen, do you put it on both before the gym and after you shower?

To all: What happens with breakfast?

Not dumb questions.
    I shower at the gym because my gym opens at 5 and I have to be at work at 7. I have everything packed and it never leaves that bag (shower shoes, toiletries). Expensive first investment, but worth it.
    I don't wear sunscreen at work. I work indoors for 12 hours, so I don't feel I need it.
    I eat at work. I bring something I can heat and pack it in my lunch bag.