Anyone else using Adipex and Topamax?

Options

Replies

• NJSunshine13
    Options
    My daughter is on Topamax for her migraines. Hmmm, I work for a drug company. Maybe I should do a little research on this drug.

Holy moly! yes you should...how old is your daughter and why in the world have you not looked into side effects before her starting this drug, especially with you working for a drug company?????

I spoke with my daughter, and she did lose 5 lbs, but didn't even realize it. I looked over the side effects and those mentioned here and she said she isn't experiencing any side effect and the drug is working for her migraines. So, I guess our experience with topamax is a positive one.
  • miranda_mom
    miranda_mom Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I took Topamax for migraines for about a year and a half. It did help with them, along with some other lifestyle changes and medications. I also lost about 20 lbs. pretty quickly. The reason is, I was never hungry. I was forcing myself to eat meals. And no snacks, obviously.

A little less than a year ago, I had to go off of because we were trying for a baby. As some mentioned before, you do not want to be on Topamax if there is a possibility you might become pregnant. It has a high incidence of birth defects.

So, I went off and gained those 20 lbs. and then some right back. In answer to your question about whether people "stayed with their healthy eating habits" after going off Topamax, it wasn't teaching me healthy eating habits. It was making me not eat. So when I wanted to eat again, I ate. And, yes, I was still eating healthy but after eating very little for awhile and now eating more (because I was hungry ALL THE TIME) I did gain, yes, despite the fact that I was eating healthy foods for the most part.

As for the side effects, for those of you who are getting the tingling, my neurologist (who is great) said it is caused by Topamax taking potassium out of the body quickly (another thing I wasn't too thrilled to hear). She recommended eating potassium rich foods to combat this.

I also had the weird eye thing - mine was exactly as others have described it - it was like if I looked at something a "trail" would following it when I moved my head away. I also saw flashing lights. My opthamologist said this is a side effect of Topamax and is not dangerous - it is not actually a problem with your vision but a neurological thing.

I had the word thing too. It was very disconcerting. I've always been good with words and I was be sitting there going "Can you bring me the... the..... the..... the....." and picturing what I wanted but having no idea what it's called. Everyone does that occasionally but I was doing it all the time.

Best of luck to everyone.
  • breasonable
    breasonable Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Glad to hear!

My daughter is on Topamax for her migraines. Hmmm, I work for a drug company. Maybe I should do a little research on this drug.

Holy moly! yes you should...how old is your daughter and why in the world have you not looked into side effects before her starting this drug, especially with you working for a drug company?????

I spoke with my daughter, and she did lose 5 lbs, but didn't even realize it. I looked over the side effects and those mentioned here and she said she isn't experiencing any side effect and the drug is working for her migraines. So, I guess our experience with topamax is a positive one.
  • gc_tweety
    gc_tweety Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Please don't quote me but I believe it cause suicidal thoughts in someone I know who took it for headaches. PLEASE know all of the side effects and take care.
  • breasonable
    Options
    Just to clarify I am changing my eating habits along with with exercise and I do not think this is a magic pill and I know once I stop taking it the weight will come back if I go back to eating the way I was!!!

Hi there , I started Adipex August 29th and my Doctor added Topamax last thursday. From what I understand this is the same combo as the new weight loss medicine that is coming out but not readily available. So far I have been doing very well I am down 25 lbs. wondering if anyone is doing the same and how you are doing???
  • NJSunshine13
    Options
    Glad to hear!
    Good luck in your quest. You have lots of negative and a few positive comments. You know your body. You know what feels right and feels wrong. As long as you are aware and are watching for these side effects, you can adjust accordingly. Not everyone is sensitive to the drug. There isn't a drug out there that someone hasn't had a reaction to. Just watch for the warning signs and I hope you reach your goal weight.

• halinds
    halinds Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I used adipex twice in my life. The first time was the generic "Phentermine" when I was 17 years old. I lost 60 lbs in a few months by working out everyday and eating healthy. As soon as I got off the drug I gained the 60 lbs back and then some.

I then tried adipex in my mid 20s. I took the medicine for about 6 months and only lost 40 lbs this time, however, I noticed it affected my mood terribly. I had mood swings constantly and was agitated and irratible most of the time. Once I got off the medicine I gained the weight back and then some, even with maintaining my normal eating/working out routine.

I have a lot of friends that try to use adipex as a "quick fix" and it bothers me because for those of us that are severly overweight it is a constant struggle. I would love to try it again but this time I believe I am sticking with the normal excersize and watch what I eat routine. It may be slow, but I am more worried about keeping it off than a temporary solution. Good luck to you though.
  • chocoholicdiva
    chocoholicdiva Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I thought Topamax was for seizures? My aunt takes this medicine for that.
    It fixes a multitude of problems but its primary function is an anti-seizure drug. I have epilepsy and take the drug myself, that's how I know.
  • nsautter
    Options
    What works for some people may not work for others. Some people are very sensitive to drugs side effects.I had very high blood pressure and a huge predisposition for diabetes and heart disease. Lost both parents young. I understand its normal to be leary of anything promising quick weight loss but just investigate it for yourself. My view is that fat is killing me slowly. Infiltrating my liver, elevating my blood pressure and contributing to my overall sense of not-so-well being. My appetite is my enemy. I may be able to use this drug "temporarily"to acheive a goal then maintain with a healthy balanced diet. We all take risks everyday for lesser outcomes. Although i completely understand everyone is passionate about their own experience and desire to warn against this drug, but keep in mind it can feel like being attacked. My thought is that i'm glad that people share thier experiences. We can learn from them. Just take the time to investigate before taking any supplement. Just because its from your Dr does not always mean he knows everything about it. You are always your own best advocate.
  • jak2315
    jak2315 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Topamax made my blood pressure go through the roof. I felt like someone was sitting on my chest and I had trouble breathing.
  • jak2315
    jak2315 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Topamax has horrible side affects. It causes permanent hair loss in children. I would never let a child use this drug.
  • emih29
    emih29 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Topamax has horrible side affects. It causes permanent hair loss in children. I would never let a child use this drug.

Yes I lost a lot of hair at first but it did level out after a year. When I would take a shower and run my hand through my hair it would come out in clumps.
  • schparks
    schparks Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I took Topamax for migraines a few years back. I had terrible side affects, I'd rather have the migraines.

I took Topamax briefly for weight loss, but stopped after a few weeks. It caused hair loss (that didn't stop for several months after I stopped taking it, luckily I have a lot of hair) and a total zombified feeling. I can't recommend it, but maybe you will have better results.
  • Cindy393
    Cindy393 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I am on Adipex, 37.5 mg, and my dr. put me on Topamax to 'prep' me for the Qysimia when it's released. I am almost at the end of my 3rd month on Adipex, and that will be the end of my prescription. It has definitely given me the tools to learn how to eat and what to eat, and has been a lifesaver for me. Other than dry mouth, which there's nothing wrong with, I've had no side effects at all.

Now here comes the Topamax. She started me on 25mg for a week. Made it thru that ok. Tuesday I started 50mg. By Thursday, diarrhea set in bigtime, as well as that 'brain fog' feeling. I did not take it last night and I think Thursday was my last time. I did speak to the pharmacist and she told me this will pass eventually. Well guess what? I don't want any part of it. No sooner do I eat something, I'm in the bathroom 15 minutes later. I've been on a diet of applesauce and bananas for 3 days now.

Before any of those other lovely side effects kick in, the Topamax is going in the garbage. I feel I have the tools now to continue the healthy eating and working out that I've been doing for the past 3 months.

I sure hope you find success, and please be careful :)
  • breasonable
    Options
    wow sorry to hear that about your topamax experience, I also started last Thursday and have been fine. Good luck in continuing with the adipex...

I am on Adipex, 37.5 mg, and my dr. put me on Topamax to 'prep' me for the Qysimia when it's released. I am almost at the end of my 3rd month on Adipex, and that will be the end of my prescription. It has definitely given me the tools to learn how to eat and what to eat, and has been a lifesaver for me. Other than dry mouth, which there's nothing wrong with, I've had no side effects at all.

Now here comes the Topamax. She started me on 25mg for a week. Made it thru that ok. Tuesday I started 50mg. By Thursday, diarrhea set in bigtime, as well as that 'brain fog' feeling. I did not take it last night and I think Thursday was my last time. I did speak to the pharmacist and she told me this will pass eventually. Well guess what? I don't want any part of it. No sooner do I eat something, I'm in the bathroom 15 minutes later. I've been on a diet of applesauce and bananas for 3 days now.

Before any of those other lovely side effects kick in, the Topamax is going in the garbage. I feel I have the tools now to continue the healthy eating and working out that I've been doing for the past 3 months.

I sure hope you find success, and please be careful :)
  • Louisianababy93
    Louisianababy93 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    my cousin was taking adipex and she droped 20lbs.
    got back into her old jeans..

then bam she stoped taking it and she put back on the weight plus some!
  • aplanck
    Options
    I would not recommen Adipex!! I used it a couple of years ago along with diet and excersize. The weight comes off fast but comes back fast when you stop taking them, and you can't take them forever.
  • Cindy393
    Cindy393 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I would not recommen Adipex!! I used it a couple of years ago along with diet and excersize. The weight comes off fast but comes back fast when you stop taking them, and you can't take them forever.

I don't understand how if you're dieting and exercising you would gain all the weight back....
  • velmaisvelma
    velmaisvelma Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I take Topamax for headache prevention and have recently been given Adipex (will start taking daily, tomorrow)
    Does the combo together really help with weight loss? Feel free to add me, I'm always looking for friends and support!
  • dan_jones
    dan_jones Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I currently take Adipex and Topamax. I have been on Adipex on and off for a few years. My doctor gave me Topamax
    after she returned from some conferences at the Cleveland Clinic a few years ago. I don't think I have encountered any
    of the side effects the others have mentioned here. Obviously, thats just me, and everyone is different. My only problem
    with Topamax is that I kept forgetting to take it. I just would forget to take the pill since I was to take it at a different time than
    my others. I pretty much left it alone and just took the Adipex. Good results with Adipex. It really does work but you develop
    a resistance to it and have to get off of it for a while. It does still work again when you go back on it, at least it does for me.

I recently started using a higher doseage of Topamax, 50 mg. and found in conjuction with Adipex 37.5, it seems to do
    some good. Still no side effects but I guess I am the lucky one in that respect.

It is important to have periodic checks of your heart valves to make sure there is no damage being done by the Adipex.
    I will get an Echo the next time I go in to see her in 2 months.

Hope this helps.

Dan