Registered Dietitian in TX here to answer questions.

Options

Replies

• FoodandFitness
    FoodandFitness Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    What's your favorite thing about the profession? Is there anything you didn't expect going into it? I'm currently getting my undergrad in Nutrition and plan to continue with my masters and doctorate later on. Thanks! :)

I just love helping people. Especially helping women get their confidence back and become strong. Nothing feels better than working with a really obese lady, getting her down to a healthy weight and helping her work up to doing a real pull up. You feel like you transform lives in a very positive and powerful way.
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    You have said that you recommend people do not eat back their exercise calories because when you set goal for your clients, you already include those calories. What do you recommend for those of us who have not set up our calories that way? I use the sedentary seting on MFP and then eat back my calories based o and then eat back my calories based on activity. So my daily caloric allowing is 1200 + exercise. I am about to be 46 years old. I weigh 213 pounds. I stand 5 feet 9 inches tall. 5 to 7 day. My exercise varies. 45 minutes treadmill to 3 hours hiking, biking, kettlebells, etc if I were not going to eat my exercise calories what would you set my daily calorie allowance to be?

If you're losing weight at a rate you are happy with, continue to eat back your calories. If you're not, then you have to create a deficit. Creating a deficit by not eating back calories from exercise is one way to do that. It's all about results. If you're not getting them- create a deficit.
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    Is it possible to gain muscle and lose fat at the same? I've read it wasn't. I was hoping this would explain why I've only lost 2 pounds in over a month with the above diet (whole grains/fruits/veggies/lean meats). I've begun weight training twice a week and my cardio mixes in strength. Could it be I am adding muscle whilst losing fat, or is the more likely assumption that the food I eat does not match its advertised caloric intake?

Gaining muscle requires a caloric surplus. Fat loss requires a caloric deficit. Sometimes these cycles of anabolism and catabolism can be short, so it may appear that we are gaining muscle and losing fat "at the same time."

It also all depends where you are in your phyisque. If you're already lean and lost 2 pounds in a month, that's not bad at all. If you're obese, 2 pounds in a month is pretty slow. The general rule of thumb is if you want to lose more weight, increase your deficit a bit. Monitor. Adjust as needed.

Thank you so much for answering my question! You have no idea how much help it is. <3 It's so nice of you to sacrifice your time.

I am 149 pounds, at 5'5". I am very large breasted (each breast weighing around 6 - 7 pounds) so this affects my weight. I would consider myself leaner but not skinny.

So the muscle I see in my arms and legs were already there, I just now don't have as much fat hiding them?

You're welcome!

5'5" and breasts that are 7 pounds each? I don't believe you. I think I'm gonna have to see photo proof. Hahaha, jk.

Yup, you're muscles were just waiting to be seen! You can still build a lot of strength while you are cutting calories so keep lifting heavy!
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    Im a 6 foot 240 pound man and I am eating 1200 calories a day. I work out 6 days a weak. 4 of those days I do weight lifting and the other 2 I just do cardio. I sometimes burn 1400 calories in a 2 hour workout. Should I increase my calorie intake? If so, where my calorie intake be if my main focus is weight loss?

You could definitely still lose weight with more than 1200 calories per day. You are creating a huge deficit and probably losing weight very rapidly? Estimate your caloric needs based off what MFP sets you at. They use a good formula: Mifflin St. Jeor.
  • Elf_Princess1210
    Elf_Princess1210 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    I work 16 hour shifts and I was wondering what kind of snack options that you suggest which can fit into my pocket or the top drawer of my medicine cart? Since I work as a nurse in a nursing home, I don't always have time to sit down and eat.
  • XxBrightsidexX
    Options
    so i have a question, I had a problem before of not eating enough at all, I slowed my metobilism im assuming, Im 5'5 and 231 lbs. I so now im eating the about 1200- to 1500 cals a day, The recomended is 1790 acording to mfp But i wanted to know if there was a way to speed my matoblisim back up so i can loose weight better. ? And if now that im eating more, or well regularly, am i going to gaim a bunch of weight before i loose ?\

Also i wanted to know, if your significantly under your calorie goal, is it bad to eat something that isnt the healthiest to add the calories so your not under ?
  • sandoora16
    Options
    Hi Tony!

Im 25 years old, 5.4 and 223 now after losing 23 lbs since July! I workout 6 days a week for about 45 minutes mostly circuit training (4 times a week) PLUS 2 times a week I do cardio for about 45-60 minutes (walking at 4.0 or ellipticals) ! I have done a metabolic test and it came out that I burn 1700 calories a day at rest! I was wondering how many calories a day should I be taking in order to lose 1-2 lbs a day?

I have went from doing 1500 calories to doing 1200 to 1500 again and now at 1800! but it seems like weight loss isn't steady and I'm not sure if I am over eating or under eating!

Also, I was wondering about how good/bad is it to have a cheat day? because for the past three months I have been having one or two things on the weekends that were not the healthiest thing I could eat but I feel like it keeps me going for the rest of the week!

One more question, is there a way to prevent having loose skin after/while losing weight?
  • half_moon
    half_moon Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Is it possible to gain muscle and lose fat at the same? I've read it wasn't. I was hoping this would explain why I've only lost 2 pounds in over a month with the above diet (whole grains/fruits/veggies/lean meats). I've begun weight training twice a week and my cardio mixes in strength. Could it be I am adding muscle whilst losing fat, or is the more likely assumption that the food I eat does not match its advertised caloric intake?

Gaining muscle requires a caloric surplus. Fat loss requires a caloric deficit. Sometimes these cycles of anabolism and catabolism can be short, so it may appear that we are gaining muscle and losing fat "at the same time."

It also all depends where you are in your phyisque. If you're already lean and lost 2 pounds in a month, that's not bad at all. If you're obese, 2 pounds in a month is pretty slow. The general rule of thumb is if you want to lose more weight, increase your deficit a bit. Monitor. Adjust as needed.

Thank you so much for answering my question! You have no idea how much help it is. <3 It's so nice of you to sacrifice your time.

I am 149 pounds, at 5'5". I am very large breasted (each breast weighing around 6 - 7 pounds) so this affects my weight. I would consider myself leaner but not skinny.

So the muscle I see in my arms and legs were already there, I just now don't have as much fat hiding them?

You're welcome!

5'5" and breasts that are 7 pounds each? I don't believe you. I think I'm gonna have to see photo proof. Hahaha, jk.

Yup, you're muscles were just waiting to be seen! You can still build a lot of strength while you are cutting calories so keep lifting heavy!

Haha. I finally figured out how to make those scales in the produce section at Randall's useful! Wash your purchases, friends. (I'm kidding.)

Thanks for all of your help! Never thought of there being a difference between making my muscle stronger and actually creating new ones! That makes a lot of sense. I'm going for long and lean, so I'll keep up the lifting! Thanks!
  • thoseblueeyes
    thoseblueeyes Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Hi Tony,

I am new to MFP and have no clue what TDEE means. Plus I am lost on some of the postings. When I signed up on MFP it asked me how much I wanted to lose a week. I put in my weight and height and how active I am and it told me I should be eating 1200 calories a day.
    My question is for you is I see MFP has diff tools to like BMR and BMI can you explain what they are used for and
    how they work? I am also doing WW ( Weight Watchers) and have been for 16 months since I have been on WW I have lost 96.8 but have slowed done on losing weight. I tried to up my exercise only to gain. Can you tell me with would be happening ? I did not change my food intake ( I stayed in my points) The last question I have for you is I use to have really really really thick hair since I have been dieting I am getting thinner could that be because I am not having enough fats? I still have a lot of hair but I am nervous why its getting thinner.

Thanks for all your help
    Jodi
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    I work 16 hour shifts and I was wondering what kind of snack options that you suggest which can fit into my pocket or the top drawer of my medicine cart? Since I work as a nurse in a nursing home, I don't always have time to sit down and eat.

If you get hungry, try snacking on beef jerky. High in protein and no refrigeration needed.
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    so i have a question, I had a problem before of not eating enough at all, I slowed my metobilism im assuming, Im 5'5 and 231 lbs. I so now im eating the about 1200- to 1500 cals a day, The recomended is 1790 acording to mfp But i wanted to know if there was a way to speed my matoblisim back up so i can loose weight better. ? And if now that im eating more, or well regularly, am i going to gaim a bunch of weight before i loose ?\

Also i wanted to know, if your significantly under your calorie goal, is it bad to eat something that isnt the healthiest to add the calories so your not under ?

You can increase your current metabolic rate by increasing your exercise in both resistance and aerobics training.
    Add calories any way you like. Your"discretionary calories" should be around 20% of your total caloric intake in my opinion.
  • XxBrightsidexX
    Options

You can increase your current metabolic rate by increasing your exercise in both resistance and aerobics training.
    Add calories any way you like. Your"discretionary calories" should be around 20% of your total caloric intake in my opinion.

Alright thank you :) Ill try the exercises ! And thank you for clearing that up !
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    Hi Tony!

Im 25 years old, 5.4 and 223 now after losing 23 lbs since July! I workout 6 days a week for about 45 minutes mostly circuit training (4 times a week) PLUS 2 times a week I do cardio for about 45-60 minutes (walking at 4.0 or ellipticals) ! I have done a metabolic test and it came out that I burn 1700 calories a day at rest! I was wondering how many calories a day should I be taking in order to lose 1-2 lbs a day?

I have went from doing 1500 calories to doing 1200 to 1500 again and now at 1800! but it seems like weight loss isn't steady and I'm not sure if I am over eating or under eating!

Also, I was wondering about how good/bad is it to have a cheat day? because for the past three months I have been having one or two things on the weekends that were not the healthiest thing I could eat but I feel like it keeps me going for the rest of the week!

One more question, is there a way to prevent having loose skin after/while losing weight?

Your weight is fluctuating because you aren't being consistent. Be as accurate as possible using MFP, pick a calorie range, and stick with it for a month before you make changes.

I never use the term "cheat meal" because it implies you don't enjoy your regular diet. You should be eating foods you enjoy every day. You shouldn't have to feel like you have to "cheat" to have what you want in a sensible amount.

No way that I know of to prevent loose skin. Lifting weights will help you feel out and shape up, but I don't know about skin. Most people just have some extra skin if they lose a very large amount of weight.
  • FoodandFitness
    Options

You're welcome!

Haha. I finally figured out how to make those scales in the produce section at Randall's useful! Wash your purchases, friends. (I'm kidding.)

Thanks for all of your help! Never thought of there being a difference between making my muscle stronger and actually creating new ones! That makes a lot of sense. I'm going for long and lean, so I'll keep up the lifting! Thanks!

Well muscular strength for a weight lifting beginner (in my opinion, that's less than 1 year of consistent training) largely comes from technique and neural component adapting to the exercises. A lot of strength can come from adding on extra lean mass, but that requires a caloric surplus. Even while weight lifting there will be some added fat during a "bulking" phase.
    During a caloric deficit, the heavy weight lifting will help to preserve lean mass. The end effect is you get to keep your muscles, and now they show because you have less fat.
  • MissPeppers
    MissPeppers Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I hope you're still here to answer, I'll be very thankful if you do!

I'm a woman, age 39, 155 lbs, have IBS and sporadically great problems with bowels and bloating.
    Are there foods (other than the obvious pre-fabricated stuff, raw veggies, wheat, too much dairy, too much fibre) that I should avoid? Are there foods that may help with this condition?

I've heard that keeping away from foods that I react to, might even worsen the situation if I should accidentally have some of these foods - just because my body isn't used to them anymore. Is there any truth to this?
    Bumping in hope to receive an answer :wink:
  • GrAlVt
    GrAlVt Posts: 42
    Options
    Hey Tony,

This isn't quite a nutrition question, but perhaps you have some insight. I'm curious about your opinion and experience with body fat analysis. For the past couple of months, I've been using the body fat calculator on mbf, which is nearly the same as the one I find on the navy website calculator. The other day, however, I had my body fat measured by impedance (standing on the metal plates, not hand held). The calculator usually gives me about 27.5% body fat for my current measurements. The impedance analyzer gave me a 17.5%.

What do you think is more reliable. Other than the usual factors that can influence the impedance measurement, I find that I have less fat stored below my waist than above, and from what I've seen, impedance analyzers give consistently lower ratings. Would you recommend any particular method or combination to use? I am getting close to my goal weight, but still don't have the body I was hoping for, so I'm thinking I need to emphasize fitness and body fat reduction rather than focus on weight.

Are you confusing BMI with body fat %? Body fat % is something you have to actually measure.

BEI (bodyfat analyzer devices) have ranging degrees of error. The handheld ones are usually more accurate than the scales.

Whether you use BEI, calipers, underwater weighing, DEXA, etc. to measure your bodyfat, you should be consistent with what you use and analyze results as trends, not absolutes. Use body fat measurements and a mirror as your guide.

No, I'm not talking about BMI. Sorry, I forgot to include in my last post that the calculator I use is on fat2fitradio.com . It's not a direct measurement, but it gives an estimate of body fat based on measurements of your neck, waist, and hips. The calculator value gives 27%+ while the stand-on scale gave ~17%. Since I don't have a BEI device at home, I use the calculator, but I had to chance to try one of the standing ones at the gym. Under ideal conditions, the scale is supposed to have 5% error, but even if I allowed for 50% error it would still be less than what the calculator gives. I will keep in mind that hand held may be more accurate. Would it be wise to average the readings from different sources?
  • sandoora16
    Options
    I have tried to do 1500 calories for a month and havent lost much weight thats why I switched to 1200 but since I increased my workout I felt like I have to increase my calories because I was tired the whole time, so I went to 1800

But based on mt Met test and my workouts how many calories do you recommend that I take in a day?
  • sandoora16
    Options
    Oh what is MFP?
  • sandoora16
    Options
    Hi Tony!

Your weight is fluctuating because you aren't being consistent. Be as accurate as possible using MFP, pick a calorie range, and stick with it for a month before you make changes.

I never use the term "cheat meal" because it implies you don't enjoy your regular diet. You should be eating foods you enjoy every day. You shouldn't have to feel like you have to "cheat" to have what you want in a sensible amount.

No way that I know of to prevent loose skin. Lifting weights will help you feel out and shape up, but I don't know about skin. Most people just have some extra skin if they lose a very large amount of weight.

I have tried to do 1500 calories for a month and havent lost much weight thats why I switched to 1200 but since I increased my workout I felt like I have to increase my calories because I was tired the whole time, so I went to 1800

But based on mt Met test and my workouts how many calories do you recommend that I take in a day?

Whats is MFP?
  • laduena74
    Options
    Hello!!

My question is, I eat my three meals a day, plus I drink at least 6 to 7 glasses of water, plus I snack in between. However I find myself still hungry...is there certain food I should be eating more of? or what kind of food will keep me fuller longer??

Thank you!