Registered Dietitian in TX here to answer questions.

Options
Hey, y'all. My name is Tony. I'm a RD and personal trainer in Flower Mound, TX. I enjoy answering questions on here and helping people out:

I've done this once before and I got overwhelmed with questions so please read these few points before you ask your questions.

Here's the last thread I did: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/755064-registered-dietitian-in-tx-here-to-answer-questions

1. I am not here to argue science, methods, or prove any advice I'm giving. I have a formal education in nutrition, keep up on the current research and have my own opinions. I welcome you to share yours, but I will not engage in debate, nor will your opinion be likely to change my positions. I will not be posting links to peer reviewed journals for my recommendations. I am aware of the laws of giving nutrition guidance online, etc. etc.

2. I am only going to answer questions for people in general good health. If you have questions about a medical condition or disease state (ie diabetes, thyroid disease, cancer) My answer is always going to be, "talk to your doctor and dietitian."

3. If you "have tried everything and cannot lose weight" or if you're eating "x amount of calories and still can't lose weight." my answer will always be the same- you are eating too many calories. Be consistent with your current intake and cut by 10-20% while making sure you are getting enough protein. Make sure you are correct with your portion sizes and choosing the right foods in the MFP. In other words, if you can't lose weight- you need to eat less and exercise more.

4. The more information you can provide me like your age, height, weight, bodyfat %, current workout program, etc. will help me help you.

5. I can't accept any more friends on myfitnesspal.com right now. If you want "bookmark" me to ask me a questions later, you can link up with me on facebook. http://www.facebook.com/Foodandfitness . I repeat: do not friend request me. I appreciate it but I can't keep up with everyone on here.

Ok, *whew* now that that's out of the way, fire at will! :)

If I don't get to your questions right away, I will do my best to come back on here.

Replies

• SaraRhiannon421
    SaraRhiannon421 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hi there!

Thank you for doing this!

My name is Sara and I have a few questions...

First off, I am 19 years old, 5' 5", and 199.5 pounds. I have been using myfitnesspal since January and have lost 48 pounds. I don't know my body fat percentage :-/

I am wondering 1) how to incorporate more protein in my diet and less carbohydrates as I am newly a vegetarian and am having a hard time with that...

I also am wondering what an adequate amount of exercise is for me as I am a full time college student, I work part time, and have a very busy home life, I want to be able to make time to workout enough, but am not sure what IS enough...

And lastly, this isn't food related, but, I am thinking about becoming a Dietician as well, wondering what you would recommend majoring in while in school?

Thank you so much,
    Sara
  • josiereside
    josiereside Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Wondering your thoughts on using the less than 20% TDEE for weight loss. I am 5'5 currently about 147ish... I am a runner but currently on the bench so to speak due to runner's knee. I just started going to the gym and doing weight training along with elliptical and precor (about 40 minutes of weight training, 20-40 of cardio. According to my TDEE calculations, 20% less than TDEE puts me at around 1700 (off the top of my head). I try to stick to around 1400-1500 per day as on the weekends I tend to go over. I hope this makes sense. I guess I am just wondering if you think using the TDEE is a good calculation.
  • FoodandFitness
    FoodandFitness Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Hi there!

First off, I am 19 years old, 5' 5", and 199.5 pounds. I have been using myfitnesspal since January and have lost 48 pounds. I don't know my body fat percentage :-/

I am wondering 1) how to incorporate more protein in my diet and less carbohydrates as I am newly a vegetarian and am having a hard time with that...

I also am wondering what an adequate amount of exercise is for me as I am a full time college student, I work part time, and have a very busy home life, I want to be able to make time to workout enough, but am not sure what IS enough...

And lastly, this isn't food related, but, I am thinking about becoming a Dietician as well, wondering what you would recommend majoring in while in school?

Thank you so much,
    Sara

First, congratulations on losing almost 50lbs! You are doing awesome!!

1. Vegetarians can still get plenty of protein from dairy, eggs, soy, and beans. Low fat cottage cheese is a great way to boost up your protein. Also consider using a whey protein supplement if you have difficulty reaching your protein goals with whole food choices.

2. There is no right or wrong amount of exercise. I would recommend you start with 2 days a week of full body resistance training. Meanwhile, make sure you are staying active. You might want to consider downloading a pedometer app on your smart phone to track your steps. Start adding in aerobics as you feel ready at 1-2 days per week for about 30 minutes. I personally lift weights 4-5 days per week and just maintain an active lifestyle because I don't enjoy cardio.

3. To become a RD you have to get a 4 year degree in nutrition and then complete a 1200 hour internship. I love my job because I love people and food, so RD was a natural choice.
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    Wondering your thoughts on using the less than 20% TDEE for weight loss. I am 5'5 currently about 147ish... I am a runner but currently on the bench so to speak due to runner's knee. I just started going to the gym and doing weight training along with elliptical and precor (about 40 minutes of weight training, 20-40 of cardio. According to my TDEE calculations, 20% less than TDEE puts me at around 1700 (off the top of my head). I try to stick to around 1400-1500 per day as on the weekends I tend to go over. I hope this makes sense. I guess I am just wondering if you think using the TDEE is a good calculation.

I don't think there is anything wrong with creating a bigger deficit than 20%. 20% is just a good starting point. If you can do more and you feel like it's sustainable, then go for it! TDEE will get you pretty close to the bullseye but no calculations are perfect.
  • FoodandFitness
    Options

So with all those limitations and exceptions, what questions can you answer?
    Why are the Texas Rangers so douchey?

The one question to rule them all! So, Rangers=douchey?

Check out my thread linked above. Same topic. Answered lots of questions.

I'm not sure about the Rangers. I'm think the answer has something to do with George W. Bush, Nolan Ryan, or chicken fried steak.
  • cacrat
    cacrat Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about the Rangers. I'm think the answer has something to do with George W. Bush, Nolan Ryan, or chicken fried steak.

Haha, touché.
  • SaraRhiannon421
    SaraRhiannon421 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hi there!

Thank you so much,
    Sara

First, congratulations on losing almost 50lbs! You are doing awesome!!

1. Vegetarians can still get plenty of protein from dairy, eggs, soy, and beans. Low fat cottage cheese is a great way to boost up your protein. Also consider using a whey protein supplement if you have difficulty reaching your protein goals with whole food choices.

2. There is no right or wrong amount of exercise. I would recommend you start with 2 days a week of full body resistance training. Meanwhile, make sure you are staying active. You might want to consider downloading a pedometer app on your smart phone to track your steps. Start adding in aerobics as you feel ready at 1-2 days per week for about 30 minutes. I personally lift weights 4-5 days per week and just maintain an active lifestyle because I don't enjoy cardio.

3. To become a RD you have to get a 4 year degree in nutrition and then complete a 1200 hour internship. I love my job because I love people and food, so RD was a natural choice.

thank you so much for all of your help, i really appreciate it! :)
  • jdtd1967
    jdtd1967 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Hi Tony...first of all thanks for helping out..The Lord will Bless you for giving back....My question..How can I get rid of excess water retention...thanks.
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    Hi Tony...first of all thanks for helping out..The Lord will Bless you for giving back....My question..How can I get rid of excess water retention...thanks.

Thanks. I actually just enjoy helping people for the sake of doing it.

Water weight is something that fluctuates greatly. The following variables can affect water weight:
    water is a diuretic
    Carbohydrates
    Calorie fluctuations
    Electrolytes
    Inflammation
    Random things
    weather
    stress
    time of day

But to get rid of water retention, you can reduce carbohydrate and salt intake and exercise regularly. Increasing your protein intake can increase your urine output. Also, consider using alcohol as a diuretic. Have a couple drinks (easy on the extra calories from mixers) before bed and you'll definitely excrete more water.

I wouldn't recommend a healthy person worrying about water retention unless you are in a weight-class sport or compete in bodybuilding.
  • 30Purple
    30Purple Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Hi Tony - people argue a lot about "eating back calories". If we are on the lowest 1200 calorie diet and burn off 500 through exercise, should we eat those back? Thanks.
  • Tatertot03
    Options
    Hi Tony,
    In regards to protein. How much protein should I be eating. I am 20 years old and 123 lbs. How much protein should I eat per day?
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    Hi Tony - people argue a lot about "eating back calories". If we are on the lowest 1200 calorie diet and burn off 500 through exercise, should we eat those back? Thanks.

I don't recommend that my clients "eat back" calories from exercise because I use them in my estimations when I write their calorie prescription.

In my opinion MFP can overestimate calories burned from exercise.

My practical advice is that if you're able to function without eating back the extra calories, you don't feel worn down, or deprived, having a larger caloric deficit will just help you lose weight faster. If you're eating back calories and still losing weight at the rate you're happy with, then keep on eating them. If you're not losing weight, it could be a good place to start.

Hope that helps.
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    Hi Tony,
    In regards to protein. How much protein should I be eating. I am 20 years old and 123 lbs. How much protein should I eat per day?

There is not much research (that I am aware of) that supports eating more than 1g per pound of bodyweight. I would eat 1g per pound of lean body mass up to 1 g per pound of bodyweight. Thanks for your ?
  • kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    What are your thoughts on a dairy-free diet for weight loss? I've recently read some conflicting information. Also, do you have any recommendations for incorporating more protein? I always seem to be lacking.

Thanks!
  • mcaffreyg
    mcaffreyg Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    What are your opinions on eating back exercise calories? on here people can go back and forth for hours debating it. I don't want to debate I just want to know your opinion as a RD :)

NVM you just answered it
  • atxdee
    atxdee Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I love carbs. Are they really as bad as some say? Cuz I can' t seem to give them up :)
  • georgina1970
    georgina1970 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Bump - will read properly later ;-)
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    I love carbs. Are they really as bad as some say? Cuz I can' t seem to give them up :)

**** no. Our bodies need carbs to function, especially when working out.
  • SonoraflowerKim
    Options
    bump...thanks for the support and being on MFP

At the moment, I am good, but I could have a question later. :-)
  • jaj68
    jaj68 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    My question. Some people hold to the thought that sugar feeds arthritis. I have often been curious if this is the thought process in the medical field...or even in the registered dietician world.