Registered Dietitian in TX here to answer questions.

Options

Replies

• FoodandFitness
    FoodandFitness Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Hey there...really nice of you to do this! :)

I am 23, lacto-ovo vegetarian and I weigh 96 kilos. My start weight was 104 kilos. I lost about 4 kilos with MFP. My question is, according to MFP my BMR is 1700-ish. And I think my TDEE is 2000. MFP has set my macros at 1430 calories a day. Should I be netting my BMR or a 20-30% cut of my TDEE? As of now, I net anywhere between 1200-1500 a day.

My only form of exercise is walking as of now. I want to increase the intensity but I am waiting to reduce to about 85 kilos so that I don't put too much stress on my knees. What do you think?

If you are still losing weight at your current regiment, I wouldn't change anything as long as you are happy. Make adjustments once you plateau. You should definitely keep walking...everywhere! Maintaining an active lifestyle is one of the best things you can do to help your weight loss in combination with using MFP. If you hit a plateau, try a slight calorie cut.
  • 72elkiedude
    72elkiedude Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    Hi Tony,

Thank you so much for answering our questions :)

My question is in relation to the dreaded 'Starvation Mode' (!) and I would really appreciate your opinions/advice on the matter.

Some background: I have a 20+ year history of anorexia nervosa. I was doing OK for a few years (although still quite controlled around food). This year I had a relapse and am trying to recover (physically) by myself. I am currently 94lbs (@ 5'3") and my last labs were OK (except for a drop in MCV). I exercise 5-7 times a week (walking/jogging). I am terrified of gaining too quickly as it will set me back further. I will gain quite quickly if I eat at MFP's suggested maintainence kcals. I eat very few carbs.

My question is: if I am in starvation mode, what would you advise to boost my metabolism? Should I add / avoid certain things? Will my metabolism ever go back to normal?!?

Thank you :)

Eating disorders can be one of the hardest things to get over. Lots of people struggle with it to some degree their entire lives. Focus on getting some help, maybe join a support group or see a dietitian that specializes in ED. But to answer your question, if you are starving- you need to eat more food.
  • cbrrabbit25
    cbrrabbit25 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I want to lose the fat in my thighs, but gain muscle mass at the same time. I am currently trying to stay around the MFP recommended limits for everything except protein, which i try to take in about 100grams a day (i weigh 105 lbs.) Should i take in more of anything else besides protein to gain muscle mass? ( i lift heavy 6 days a week and do cardio for at least 20 minutes every day).
  • BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Hi Tony,

I've been here for 5 weeks now and have lost 10lbs so early progress is good. So far all I'm doing is watching the calories and not worrying too much about the macros, though I do keep an eye on saturated fats and fibre.

I'm 46, 5-3 tall and am at 182lbs with another 41 to lose to take me to the very top of my BMI range. My health is good, though I do have problem knees and feet which i'm hoping weight loss will help with. The only exercise I can guarantee is 2 x 15 minute walks each weekday, though I do more than that wherever possible.

Would you recommend that I actually start paying attention to the macros, or making any changes to them? Is there a good/typical carb/protein/fat ratio for general weight loss?

Grateful for any advice.
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    Thank You for your time.
    I know I've a problem with soy
    I love it all, but have discerned it may only be fermented.
    My querry to you would be twofold. .
    Do you think this would encompass all fermented? ... like my kraut?
    I love my black soy beans & milk, but have reactions to a soy powder ( fermented tamari)& sadly Tofu
    What test would you recommend?
    Bleasings to you.
    :flowerforyou:

If you have any issues with specific foods, I recommend you keep notes under the "food notes" part under the food journal in the MFP. This way you can start making links between your food choices and the way you feel. Food tolerances are a very individual thing and journaling your food intake along with how you are feeling is the best way to pinpoint that kind of stuff.

If you want to get tested for food intolerance or allergy, check into elimination LEAP dieting and see if there is a RD in your area the specializes in that area. It's not my expertise, so I refer out for stuff like that.
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    Thanks for answering our questions...
    I am 5 ft 160 pound 40% body fat eating 1200 calories a day..I recently started doing strength training(very basic)
    I do not wish to bulk up- my question is- till what weight can i go upto so that i tone but not bulk up and also loose weight

Thanks for your response in advance...

Muscles only do 3 things. They shrink, they grow, or they stay the same size. There is no such thing as "toning" with weight lifting. You're either progressing in your weights or your not. You will only "bulk up" if you eat the extra calories to do so. And even then, it takes a looooooong time to build lots of muscle. You're not going to develop a super athletic physique by accident.

Here's my practical advice: keep lifting. Once you are able to lift a given weight 12-15 times with good form, increase the weight and work your way back up to 12-15 reps.
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    Hi Tony,

I suffer from really bad bouts of IBS which makes it difficult to eat veggies, beans, fibre etc... I am really battling to lose weight. I am 5'7 and weigh 172pounds. I am on 1550 calories a day and try to exercise 3 x a week. Could the IBS be hampering the weight loss a bit or not? I am 39 years old.

Due the the inflammation from IBS and the irregularity on bowel movements that usually accompany IBS, your true fat loss will be masked by fluctuations on the scale due to water weight and constipation weight, etc etc. So you're going to have to take the # on the scale with a grain of salt.

Try to be consistent with how you weigh yourself. Try weighing yourself in the morning and be consistent. If you haven't lost weight in a month, try a slight reduction in your calories.

I just saw a client this morning with the same issues. Just keep following your good nutrition and exercise habits and stay true to the program. You will see results.
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    wow you eat a lot of food! What is your work out program to stay thin and still eat the way you do? I would love to eat as much as you do and be where you are! I I always look at successful peoples diaries to see if I can learn from them on how to eat and the types of programs they are following. Were you heavy at one point and lost weight ? Love to know. Thanks!

I'm currently on a weight-gain program. Trying to gain 1 pound per week.

I follow a upper/lower weight lifting split and lift heavy weights 4-5 times per week. I don't do any running or cardio but I do live a very active lifestyle. Being a personal trainer, I'm always demonstrating exercises. I also enjoy going for walks and playing lots of golf.

I was never heavy, I actually used to be underweight.
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    Hi, Im 5ft7, 304lbs, female,

Can i have some opinions on my calorie intake please, I just want to make sure what my calories are supose to be, I exercise 3 times a week, mainly walking, 1-2 hours a time moderate 3mph?,

I am supose to be around 2100 to lose according to this website, but im eating way below that, I am not hungry at all cos the foods im chosing are keeping me fuller for much longer,

I believe im getting all my nutriants,fibre,calcium,protein,vitamins etc..I am drinking water just keep forgetting to add it to my diary

My portion sizes are a lot smaller as as some are aware i have a lapband, due to a leakage i put the weight back on,

Anyway i need a new band & im helping the procedure by losing some weight & getting used to smaller portion sizes

Im drinking wine & eating chocolate on my calories (not every day)

The deficit you choose to set should be based on your ability for long term compliance and what works for you. If you can eat less and maintain that, you are doing just fine. It sounds like your micronutrients are in balance. So in other words, if you are eating less, losing weight, and doing fine, keep at it.
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    Hi Tony! First of all, thank you for doing this. It's always a relief to have someone who really knows there stuff answer questions.

To start off, I'm 22 and weight 215 lbs. (Down about 5 from where I started 2 weeks ago). I started the Insanity workout plan and I really am enjoying it and can feel my endurance getting better and my stamina. MFP tells me that my estimated calorie intake per day should be about 1230. With that background, I have a few different questions for you.

1) Do you think that I should be working out more, or is Insanity enough to see a healthy amount of weight-loss over time?

2) All of my friends/family are concerned about the amount of calories MFP has suggested, saying that it is way too little and I'm going to starve myself, what is your opinion on this?

3) As a general rule, I eat one big meal a day (400-600 calories), and spread the rest of my remaining calories out throughout the day while I'm hungry/after work outs. Is this safe/okay?

Thank you again for all your help!
    Kayla

1. If you were working out none, and now you are following a routine, you should be proud of yourself and just try to maintain your good habits. Don't worry about adding in more. Insanity workouts are plenty enough. Make changes when you plateau. Cross that bridge when you come to it.

2. Your calorie levels are fine. However, you may find that you can maintain longer term if your deficit isn't so large. That being said, if you feel good and are getting the results you want, keep up your current plan.

3. The frequency and size of your meals is up to your preference. Make sure that your TOTAL calories and macronutrients are in line with your goals. However you choose to do that is totally up to you.
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    Hey Tony,

My goal is lose 12 and reduce my bodyfat. I exercise 5 days a week for at least 1 hour and MFP says my calorie intake should be 1700. Is that too low?

Herb

Herb,

It's hard to say. If you are lifting weights, that will help change your body composition. Eating a good amount of protein, up to 1 g per pound of bodyweight can help too. If your deficit is too large, you can lose a little bit of muscle in the process. I usually recommend a 10-20% deficit for individuals trying to preserve as much muscle as possible. Closer to 10% if you're very determined, ie. a bodybuilder or someone like that.
  • bsuzanne88
    bsuzanne88 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone and thanks in advance for the help and support. I have been a member of MFP since June 2011. I love how I have learned to be more aware of my eating habits. But currently I weigh 130 pounds (133 on a bad day). I am 5 foot 6 inches tall (incase you wanted to know). I started Jillian Micheal's 30 day shred (my second time) and I rarely eat what I have burned. I am supposed to take in 1200 calories a day. I have not seen a difference in the scale for a while, working out or not, my weight doesn't budge. Do you think I am eating too little and should up my calorie intake. I just thought that maybe my body thinks 1200 is not enough and is storing every thing I eat. I don't know what to change and where to begin. ANY help would be great.
  • debbiekuhn123
    debbiekuhn123 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Hi, Im 5ft7, 304lbs, female,

Can i have some opinions on my calorie intake please, I just want to make sure what my calories are supose to be, I exercise 3 times a week, mainly walking, 1-2 hours a time moderate 3mph?,

I am supose to be around 2100 to lose according to this website, but im eating way below that, I am not hungry at all cos the foods im chosing are keeping me fuller for much longer,

I believe im getting all my nutriants,fibre,calcium,protein,vitamins etc..I am drinking water just keep forgetting to add it to my diary

My portion sizes are a lot smaller as as some are aware i have a lapband, due to a leakage i put the weight back on,

Anyway i need a new band & im helping the procedure by losing some weight & getting used to smaller portion sizes

Im drinking wine & eating chocolate on my calories (not every day)

The deficit you choose to set should be based on your ability for long term compliance and what works for you. If you can eat less and maintain that, you are doing just fine. It sounds like your micronutrients are in balance. So in other words, if you are eating less, losing weight, and doing fine, keep at it.

Thank you so much Tony really appreciated your comments x
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    I want to lose the fat in my thighs, but gain muscle mass at the same time. I am currently trying to stay around the MFP recommended limits for everything except protein, which i try to take in about 100grams a day (i weigh 105 lbs.) Should i take in more of anything else besides protein to gain muscle mass? ( i lift heavy 6 days a week and do cardio for at least 20 minutes every day).

Losing fat and gaining muscle are two different goals with 2 different requirements.

If you want to lose fat, reduce your calories and continue to lift.
    If you want to build muscle, increase your calories and continue to lift.

It just depends on which goal you'd like to work toward first.
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    Hi Tony,

I've been here for 5 weeks now and have lost 10lbs so early progress is good. So far all I'm doing is watching the calories and not worrying too much about the macros, though I do keep an eye on saturated fats and fibre.

I'm 46, 5-3 tall and am at 182lbs with another 41 to lose to take me to the very top of my BMI range. My health is good, though I do have problem knees and feet which i'm hoping weight loss will help with. The only exercise I can guarantee is 2 x 15 minute walks each weekday, though I do more than that wherever possible.

Would you recommend that I actually start paying attention to the macros, or making any changes to them? Is there a good/typical carb/protein/fat ratio for general weight loss?

Grateful for any advice.

Eventually, you'll want to start paying attention to your macros. Do this when you're ready and when you think you can be consistent and keep up with long-term compliance.

I recommend 1g protein per pound of lean body mass up to 1g per pound of bodyweight. .45g of fat per pound of LBM up to .45 to .5 per pound of bodyweight, and fill in the rest with carbohydrates.

This usually comes out to be between 25-35% for each macronutrient category.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    3. If you "have tried everything and cannot lose weight" or if you're eating "x amount of calories and still can't lose weight." my answer will always be the same- you are eating too many calories. Be consistent with your current intake and cut by 10-20% while making sure you are getting enough protein. Make sure you are correct with your portion sizes and choosing the right foods in the MFP. In other words, if you can't lose weight- you need to eat less and exercise more.

Thanks for clearing that up, I was going to tell a friend whose only eating 500 cals and running 5 miles a day to take a diet and exercise break, but I'll tell her to stop being a fatty and eating so much

nxkih3jpg.gif
  • bli77
    bli77 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi thanks for offering tips and advice! My question is about sugar in my diet. I get most of my sugar from fruits and dairy in my diet, should I limit these to lose the last 10 lbs and drop 2% BF? I usually eat a banana each day (I know they are high in sugar but I love them) and another serving of fruit and usually 2 servings of dairy. How much natural sugar is too much if I just want to lose the last ten?

SW: 160 lbs
    CW: 148 lbs
    Height 5'3"
    Est BF: 26%
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    Hello everyone and thanks in advance for the help and support. I have been a member of MFP since June 2011. I love how I have learned to be more aware of my eating habits. But currently I weigh 130 pounds (133 on a bad day). I am 5 foot 6 inches tall (incase you wanted to know). I started Jillian Micheal's 30 day shred (my second time) and I rarely eat what I have burned. I am supposed to take in 1200 calories a day. I have not seen a difference in the scale for a while, working out or not, my weight doesn't budge. Do you think I am eating too little and should up my calorie intake. I just thought that maybe my body thinks 1200 is not enough and is storing every thing I eat. I don't know what to change and where to begin. ANY help would be great.

Start by taking your body fat% and some circumference measurements around your body. Right now, you are within a healthy weight range for your height. I would focus on eating for maintenance and improving in your workouts. The 30 day shred is nice, but have you ever considered a structured weight lifting program? If you built muscle and lost fat, staying around the same weight, you'll achieve a look that would be very impressive! You're already doing great, so keep up the good work, you should be proud of yourself.
  • gpoliver
    gpoliver Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I have been eating right and excercising for the past 3 months. I work out with a Trainer, see my Dr. once a month (Lupus) and see an RD.... so really no question, but a big THANK YOU! I have never been able to lose weight consistenly. I am learning so much about diet and nutrition, and how to be healthy. My RD is a GODSEND! And just FYI Rangers are douchy because they CHOKED, and NOLAN RYAN being the best player ever in baseball certainly would never have anything to do with that... he is just the money man now! LOL (remember you said you would not argue!)