Registered Dietitian in TX here to answer questions.

Options

Replies

• chrism14
    chrism14 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Bumb - This is really interesting. Thank you!
  • MaybeAMonkey
    Options
    Bump - will read properly later ;-)

me too!
  • 02tods
    02tods Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Bump for later. Thanks for accommodating us Tony. :D
  • kats3boys
    Options
    Lots of food allergies..includes nickel and nickel based foods= No dark green veggies.

I have been trying to keep my fiber around 30 and keep carbs low at the same time but finding I am having a hard time doing both..it is either high carbs and fiber or low carbs and fiber.

Any suggestions on balancing the two?
  • ahavoc
    ahavoc Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I have lots of health problems, so I am talking with my doctor, my allergist and my nutritionist, but I wanted your opinion on something my nutritionist said to me.

After I told her all of my food allergies, (lots), she said that lately she's seeing more and more people with the same kind of problem, lots of food sensitivities. Have you seen an increase in this with your clients? Do you think it's just that we're more aware of it or is there an increase in people's sensitivities to food?
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    3. If you "have tried everything and cannot lose weight" or if you're eating "x amount of calories and still can't lose weight." my answer will always be the same- you are eating too many calories. Be consistent with your current intake and cut by 10-20% while making sure you are getting enough protein. Make sure you are correct with your portion sizes and choosing the right foods in the MFP. In other words, if you can't lose weight- you need to eat less and exercise more.

Thanks for clearing that up, I was going to tell a friend whose only eating 500 cals and running 5 miles a day to take a diet and exercise break, but I'll tell her to stop being a fatty and eating so much
  • hippy2skippy
    hippy2skippy Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Hi Tony,

I'm 44, 165lbs, 5'2". I have a sedentary job, but do various exercise activities approx 4 days week (walking, yoga, light weight lifting, beginner circuit training), average 30 mins. I've lost approx 15lbs in the past 3 months.

I have my goals in MFP auto set (not custom settings) at 1200 calories, assuming exercise 30min 3X week. I've been reading about the BMR/TDEE a lot lately. My BMR was calculated approx 1452. I wonder if I would lose more if I up my eating to a min of 1452? Or should I increase my exercise? My goal is 150lbs by December 31st.

Thanks in advance for any input you can offer. :)
  • FoodandFitness
    FoodandFitness Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    What are your thoughts on a dairy-free diet for weight loss? I've recently read some conflicting information. Also, do you have any recommendations for incorporating more protein? I always seem to be lacking.

Thanks!

I don't recommend eliminating any food groups for weight loss. Dairy is high in protein and calcium and tasty too. Here's an interesting study on dairy:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20810979

CONCLUSION:
    Our study suggests that both higher dairy calcium intake and increased serum vitamin D are related to greater diet-induced weight loss. This trial was registered at clinicaltrials.gov as NCT00160108.

I'm not saying that this study means that dairy causes weight loss, you can look into it for yourself. Just sharing some research.

If you're having trouble with protein, have you considered a whey protein supplement? I have a lot of my clients make vanilla fruit protein smoothies in the morning.
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    I love carbs. Are they really as bad as some say? Cuz I can' t seem to give them up :)

Carbs are not bad. They tend to cause more water weight fluctuations which can really freak out people who are overly concerned with the number on the scale.

That being said, I recommend emphasis on getting adequate protein and fat because we have physiological needs for them that are greater than for carbs. Technically you can live without carbs but you definitely need protein and fat in your diet. If you have room for carbs, eat and enjoy them.
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    My question. Some people hold to the thought that sugar feeds arthritis. I have often been curious if this is the thought process in the medical field...or even in the registered dietician world.

I have never seen any peer-reviewed research to indicate that sugar exacerbates arthritis. Based on my current knowledge, I would say there is no link.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    3. If you "have tried everything and cannot lose weight" or if you're eating "x amount of calories and still can't lose weight." my answer will always be the same- you are eating too many calories. Be consistent with your current intake and cut by 10-20% while making sure you are getting enough protein. Make sure you are correct with your portion sizes and choosing the right foods in the MFP. In other words, if you can't lose weight- you need to eat less and exercise more.

Thanks for clearing that up, I was going to tell a friend whose only eating 500 cals and running 5 miles a day to take a diet and exercise break, but I'll tell her to stop being a fatty and eating so much

Snickers.
    Love it.
  • kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    What are your thoughts on a dairy-free diet for weight loss? I've recently read some conflicting information. Also, do you have any recommendations for incorporating more protein? I always seem to be lacking.

Thanks!

I don't recommend eliminating any food groups for weight loss. Dairy is high in protein and calcium and tasty too. Here's an interesting study on dairy:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20810979

CONCLUSION:
    Our study suggests that both higher dairy calcium intake and increased serum vitamin D are related to greater diet-induced weight loss. This trial was registered at clinicaltrials.gov as NCT00160108.

I'm not saying that this study means that dairy causes weight loss, you can look into it for yourself. Just sharing some research.

If you're having trouble with protein, have you considered a whey protein supplement? I have a lot of my clients make vanilla fruit protein smoothies in the morning.

I've been trying to give up lactose due to its inflammatory nature - I still get calcium and Vitamin D through soy milk/almond milk and supplements. I have tried whey protein and have made smoothies in the past - again, trying to avoid lactose.

Thanks for the link to the study you mentioned...
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    Lots of food allergies..includes nickel and nickel based foods= No dark green veggies.

I have been trying to keep my fiber around 30 and keep carbs low at the same time but finding I am having a hard time doing both..it is either high carbs and fiber or low carbs and fiber.

Any suggestions on balancing the two?

Sure, let me start off by saying that I don't have a lot of experience with nickel-free diets.

Try eating more non-starchy vegetables that will fit your requirements. Beans are high in carbs, but they also have a lot of fiber too.

On a practical note, try planning ahead on MFP and filling out your high fiber foods first if you want to put an emphasis on that.
  • ashleybr1980
    ashleybr1980 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • Crystalmac82
    Crystalmac82 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Hey Tony !

I'm a fellow Texan close to Dallas :)

My question is about sugar. I have a significant amount of belly fat to shed and I am convinced that there is a correlation between sugar and belly fat. Correct or no? Furthermore, I'm worried because more than one serving of fresh fruit puts me over my daily allowance for sugar. Is that still okay and if so, how many servings are too much?

Also, I am a tested "pre-diabetic". Am I genetically destined for diabetes or can I beat an early diagnosis?

Thanks !
  • 2013newstart
    Options
    I am in my 30's and I am a pear shaped person with more weight in the bottom I was wondering what exercises or certain foods would help me lose the extra weight I am carry. I have tried several diets and different exercises in the past and I just don't know what will work for my body type. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
  • sandcgordon
    sandcgordon Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jaymedehart
    jaymedehart Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Thank you for taking time to answer questions.

I am a 43 year old woman, 5'7", around 125 pounds, trying to eat a healthy diet. I find that I consistently get only around 25% of the daily recommended amount of potassium and I'm wondering if that puts me at risk for hypokalemia. I don't take any medications other than a daily multi-vitamin and an occasional Advil...
  • samb330
    samb330 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    bump..
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    Hi Tony,

I'm 44, 165lbs, 5'2". I have a sedentary job, but do various exercise activities approx 4 days week (walking, yoga, light weight lifting, beginner circuit training), average 30 mins. I've lost approx 15lbs in the past 3 months.

I have my goals in MFP auto set (not custom settings) at 1200 calories, assuming exercise 30min 3X week. I've been reading about the BMR/TDEE a lot lately. My BMR was calculated approx 1452. I wonder if I would lose more if I up my eating to a min of 1452? Or should I increase my exercise? My goal is 150lbs by December 31st.

Thanks in advance for any input you can offer. :)

Well, assuming all the other components of the energy-balance equation stay the same, a greater caloric deficit will elicit a greater loss of bodyweight. However, you do need to take the human factor into account and note that long-term compliance is the true key to ANY deficit you set.

That being said, if you are handling your 1200 kcal per week just fine, then you shouldn't need to increase your calories.

On exercise, I will say this: Don't be afraid to lift heavier weights if you can. Weight lifting is a good way to preserve your lean mass and build strength on a diet.

Edit: Also note that RMR and BMR equations are estimates and some don't even take lean body mass into account.