Registered Dietitian in TX here to answer questions.

Options
1363738394042»

Replies

• ParisKennedy
    ParisKennedy Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Hi Sweet Tony,

Is red meat as bad for someone as had originally been warned years ago? They now have low fat beef which is suppose to be free of hormones. It seems I read somewhere that it isn't bad like we thought. I would believe it, but not sure WHO is producing the new info. .. is the the beef industry?

Are certain cuts better for you than others? Such as a steak is healthier than a burger due to what it contains. Also is there truth to it being better for you if it is over cooked vs undercooked? I heard that resteraunts in China have signs in their windows which say, "No American beef" because they are scared of it. Can't blame them. Not sure if that is because our beef is the worse in the world? If beef is bad no matter where it comes from? Or what is going on. My beef questions and concerns are based on the thought of a "heart healthy diet". I threw a lot out here, but the heart is the main concern as I type this.

Thanks in advance.
  • FoodandFitness
    FoodandFitness Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Hi, thanks so much for answering questions here. I myself have a question for you. I feel like I have gotten myself into a mess. I am female, 145lbs. Normally 125lbs. The past 3 years I have stopped eating anything healthy. I married, and my husband is not very healthy when it comes to food choices. I have fallen off into bad eating behavior. I am frustrated because most days I feel hungry, even though I have ate way too many calories and consumed way too much sugar.
    I get into depressed modes and drinks several sodas all day, kind of like a meal replacement. I am just wondering is there any hope for me?
    My ideal calories are at 1210 for the day. I tried to eat normally today and only have had 1 soda so far. I still feel hungry and overl unhappy with my food choices. How do I make this awful cycle stop for GOOD? I am also expereincing a horrible headache from the lack of caffiene from my sodas. Please help. Thanks

Just switch to diet soda, or start doing 1/2 and 1/2 diet with regular until you can work yourself down to zero calorie colas.

Don't get overwhelmed. Start with one meal and get that down before you move on. You build a brick wall brick by brick, don't try to lay down the whole wall at first. Why not start with a healthy breakfast?

There is always hope. No one is hopeless.
  • FoodandFitness
    FoodandFitness Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Hi Sweet Tony,

Is red meat as bad for someone as had originally been warned years ago? They now have low fat beef which is suppose to be free of hormones. It seems I read somewhere that it isn't bad like we thought. I would believe it, but not sure WHO is producing the new info. .. is the the beef industry?

Are certain cuts better for you than others? Such as a steak is healthier than a burger due to what it contains. Also is there truth to it being better for you if it is over cooked vs undercooked? I heard that resteraunts in China have signs in their windows which say, "No American beef" because they are scared of it. Can't blame them. Not sure if that is because our beef is the worse in the world? If beef is bad no matter where it comes from? Or what is going on. My beef questions and concerns are based on the thought of a "heart healthy diet". I threw a lot out here, but the heart is the main concern as I type this.

Thanks in advance.

Beef, like any other food, can fit into a well balanced diet. Beef is high in protein and minerals and can be a good source of fat. Saturated fat is not causative of heart disease, this theory has been refuted in research and meta analysis of the topic. If you're trying to watch your fat intake, cuts like extra lean beef, filet, flank steak, and sirloin are lower in fat.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Hi Sweet Tony,

Thanks in advance.

Beef, like any other food, can fit into a well balanced diet. Beef is high in protein and minerals and can be a good source of fat. Saturated fat is not causative of heart disease, this theory has been refuted in research and meta analysis of the topic. If you're trying to watch your fat intake, cuts like extra lean beef, filet, flank steak, and sirloin are lower in fat.

:flowerforyou:
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 10,145 MFP Staff
    Options
    Dear Posters,

This topic is locked and the conversations are continuing in this group:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/13155-ask-the-dietitian

Thank you for your understanding and help in keeping MyFitnessPal a supportive, friendly community.

Respectfully,
    Olivia
    MFP Community Manager