Bread is not bad

Options

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    It's perfectly fine-- aside from all the gluten.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Unless you have a medical condition, there's nothing wrong with gluten.
  • Miiimii
    Miiimii Posts: 279 Member
    Options

What's wrog with gluten if you have no gluten intolerance?
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options

Absolutely nothing. Gluten-free is just hyped by celebrities and has absolutely no real science behind it.
    You need fiber, gluten-based products are rich in fibre.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I love bread. I just don't eat it that often.

I'm making some right now. MMMMM!
  • Lyra89
    Lyra89 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Carbs FTW lol :smile: I love my bread, pasta, rice & spuds and I'll never give them up!

Never ever had trouble with weight loss while eating good carbohydrates...including all of the above PLUS fruits and veggies.

NOM! :smile: :wink:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    What is wrong with white bread - not sure if that has been answered successfully yet!
  • needamulligan
    needamulligan Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    You can hear it all the time - here on MFP and in the media - Bread is bad (so is pasta, potatos and rice).

But that's not really true. It depends on what kind of bread (pasta, rice, etc.) you eat. Probably the bread thing is even more an american problem or myth, because most of the American bread is white bread which is really nearly the same as sugar. But in Europe, especially in Germany, there is really good bread with no white flour in it. Instead wholemeal flour, spelled flour, rye flour and a lot of unprocessed wholemeal is used. You also can find linseeds, pumkin seeds, sunflower seeds, walnuts, etc, in it - depending on what bread you buy or bake yourself.

I always bake my bread myself - it's a sourdough with half spelled flour and half rye flour and linseeds and walnuts added. That's very yummy! I once had an interview with Harley Pasternak, the personal trainer of many actors and singers, and he told me if he could give his clients five tipps one of them would be "Eat more German bread (black bread)".

Same with rice - eat Basmati rice or Basmati wholemeal rice, both is really healthy and full of vitamins and minerals - and I fills you up.

Potatos, cooked in saltwater or as mash potatos with only milk added is also no heavy feed. Potatos have not much calories and they are healthy.

Of course, if you are happy with you low/no carb diet just go on, but it's not right to say bread, etc is in gernal unhealthy or makes you fat (if it's the right bread).

I just wanted to say ... ;-)

There is a danger to blanket statements on both sides of this argument. Not all restrictions or recommendations work for all bodies. Are you assuming that all Americans only eat white bread, etc? That's also an erroneous stereotype. ...and it's spelt flour!
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    if you like it, eat it. be sensible. log it. and make sure you're eating enough fat and protein as well.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options

Absolutely nothing. Gluten-free is just hyped by celebrities and has absolutely no real science behind it.

gluten intolerance aside,
    insoluble fiber just rips cell linings and makes poo bigger. veggies have plenty of soluble fiber...
  • Miiimii
    Options
    DSC02615_zps56893b20.jpg

Yummy!
  • exacerbe
    exacerbe Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I miss bread sometimes =/
  • Miiimii
    Options
    And more yummy!

Sauerteigbrot_zps09f9a971.jpg
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,974 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised nobody mentioned this book: "Wheat Belly" It's an interesting read about grains in your diet and the problems associated with them.
  • SarahCW1979
    SarahCW1979 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    The only bad thing I find about white bread is that it tastes so good... I HAVE to stay away from it. Ive been known to demolish a whole loaf of white bread with a pot of marmite. :embarassed:
    am i the only person who has no idea what marmite is?

Vegemite? :smile:
  • amylovescupcakes
    amylovescupcakes Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I dig bread! I count it, I think it would prolly be bad if I ate like 4 pb&j's a day like I used to when I was a fatty. Wait. Still a fatty, just a healthier fatty. Also I'm a vegetarian so I can't get down with the all protein all the time stuff. How do those people go numero dos? I couldn't do it. It would totally stop me up. Okay tmi tmi I know!
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options

insoluble fiber just rips cell linings and makes poo bigger. veggies have plenty of soluble fiber...

Wrong and veggies have insoluble fiber as well.
    "Insoluble fibers are considered gut-healthy fiber because they have a laxative effect and add bulk to the diet, helping prevent constipation. These fibers do not dissolve in water, so they pass through the gastrointestinal tract relatively intact, and speed up the passage of food and waste through your gut. Insoluble fibers are mainly found in whole grains and vegetables.

Sources of insoluble fiber: whole wheat, whole grains, wheat bran, corn bran, seeds, nuts, barley, couscous, brown rice, bulgur, zucchini, celery, broccoli, cabbage, onions, tomatoes, carrots, cucumbers, green beans, dark leafy vegetables, raisins, grapes, fruit, and root vegetable skins."

Another article:
    "There are two kinds of fiber, soluble and insoluble, and neither contains calories. Soluble fibers are able to dissolve in warm water; this means that they are able to absorb a lot of water and other particles. Insoluble fibers are not able to dissolve in warm water. While soluble fiber is often in the news due to its benefits in heart health, insoluble fiber deserves equal attention.

Insoluble fiber can be found in fruits, vegetables, grains and beans and benefits us in two very important ways. First, it adds bulk to our stool so that we feel an urge to go to the bathroom. This is important because our bowel is a muscle and like every other muscle in our body, it needs regular exercise to maintain its function. How our bowel gets exercise is by having bowel "movements." Without insoluble fiber, the bowel does not get enough exercise, leading to fewer bowel movements and eventual constipation. Hemorrhoids may also be a side effect of not enough insoluble fiber because of the strain needed when bowel muscles do not move very often and get out of shape.

Another benefit of insoluble fiber is that it can help our gut bacteria grow. Our gut bacteria, or gut flora, are living organisms that eat sugars and fiber, and prevent bad bacteria from living in our gut and making us sick. Insoluble fiber is a strong fiber that takes a lot longer for our gut bacteria to break down, which helps them grow and multiply.

So yes, we really do need insoluble fiber. Make eating fruits, vegetables and whole grain a part of your daily routine and see the benefits on a regular basis. "
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

LOL :laugh:

Insoluble fiber is actually beneficial in preventing constipation. It helps keep your colon clean. Healthy individuals need both soluble and insoluble fiber in their diet.

A quick Google search will reveal all sorts of studies that show the health benefits. In addition to being found in grains, it is also found in many vegetables and seeds, as well as legumes. It is an important part of a healthy diet.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I agree about wholemeal breads. Even white pasta isn't bad if you don't overcook it. But I think white potatoes are something that should be eaten only occasionally. While they are not high calorie and contain nutrition, they also cause too high a spike in blood sugar to be considered and every day food IMO.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

It rips cell linings?? What cells, exactly? Since fiber passes through the digestive system undigested, how does it get to the cells?