Not everyone eats like me... :(

Options
How do I conquer eating a healthier diet when no one else in the house does? It is very frustrating trying to buy 2 sets of groceries or cooking sets of meals. My other family members don’t want to eat the same things I do and I can understand that, fried food does taste better but fried foods especially fried chicken is one of my weaknesses so I don't cook that way. I need some solutions if there are any out there…

Replies

• Pulka_Dot
    Pulka_Dot Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I feel you. My husband is an extremely picky eater so I always have to prepare two separate meals because his are never healthy. I don't have any advice, though, to offer. :(
  • tlacox1
    tlacox1 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Well, your household may not be set up like mine but the kids eat what's put on the table or nothing at all. No fixing their own stuff or hitting the snacks. They dont eat, they dont get a snack later either (this is the older kids, my 22 month old gets exceptions but she eats anything!) Now that seems harsh but that's what has to be done not only for your own health but theirs as well. Luckily, my husband eats whatever is put on the table but I do know that some husbands are not that easy.
  • stephanie1133
    Options
    Are you the one that shops for, buys, and prepares all of the food? If so, it's your call really. You can still make them things they like, just healthier versions. Or you can tell them if they don't wish to eat the healthier food that you are providing them, that they can shop and prepare their own meals! I wouldn't buy 2 sets of groceries and prepare 2 sets of meals, no way!
  • mearlie
    mearlie Posts: 224
    Options
    I have a few dietary restrictions and I am also the cook in the family. I DO make SOME sides or an add-on to the meal for them, but I cook meals that taste good and that I CAN EAT. Sometimes I have to cook things and put them in separate serving dishes because these people are too dang picky! But I don't fry chicken. I grill it, cook it in the cast iron skillet with a little oil, stir fry it, but I don't fry it. Well OK maybe twice a year I'll fry it in gluten free flour (tastes just as good as regular flour) but not very often.

Instead of eating hamburgers with the bun, sometimes we have hamburger steaks with mashed potatoes (I use coconut milk instead of dairy and they don't even care or notice), and green beans. This is a hit every time. And it's gluten and dairy free.

The trick is finding foods that everyone can eat, serve it instead of the crap foods, and over time they'll adapt. It does take time and they'll complain but you tell them it's for THEIR health TOO. Just because they aren't overweight YET doesn't mean they won't be overweight in a few years. they need to learn to eat healthy foods now or they will develop the taste for bad foods and then be on the same journey you are on now.

Hope that helps!
  • yankeedownsouth
    yankeedownsouth Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Who does the cooking? If it's you, I'd just cook the way you want to eat and let them eat it. I do ALL the cooking at my house. My family knows that since I'm being nice enough to cook for them, they should be nice enough to eat what I cook. In all honesty, my husband loves eating my healthy food, and the kids eat because I tell them too and it's the rule (they're teenagers, but they still have to eat what I make). I do have one or two nights a week where it's a "fend for yourself night." If they want unhealthy, that's when they get it.

It might seem harsh, but it works.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    It depends on who the other people in the household are. My husband would eat a lot of junk if I bought it. But I don't. If he wants it, he's a grown man and can procure his own food. But he's lazy so he eats what I prepare, which is usually healthy. I would feel the same of any other adults in the house. If you want to poison your body with junk, that's your choice, but don't expect me to buy or prepare it.

We are past the children in the house stage, but when I had children at home they ate the food I prepared because I was their mom and I said so. :tongue:
  • hdsqrl
    hdsqrl Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Have you tried converting the unhealthy stuff they like into something that you can eat and they'll still like? For example, make "oven fried chicken" instead of frying chicken the traditional way, etc. Something to consider. :)
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    To be honest, I had the same issue with my other half, but I found ways to cook the things he likes in a healthier way.

I make chips at home but I oven cook them rather than deep-fry.

Full english breakfasts can be healthy! I use low-fat sausages, trim the fat off my bacon, poach the eggs and grill everything else. He doesn't know it's low-fat.

Curries are a firm favourite, but rather than use the packaged, high calorie sauces, I make my own. He actually prefers them.

Pasta sauces are the same, so make your own and stick loads of veggies in there too. A hearty but low calorie meal.

This is just a few examples. You can adapt most meals to make them healthy.
  • HallerFitness
    Options
    Who are these people preparing separate meals? Are you kidding me? I'm a vegetarian and my husband is not. If he doesn't like what I'm cooking, he can make something else himself! If it's a situation with kids, maybe look into that book about how to sneak vegetables into foods. I've heard lots of good reviews.
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    I can sympathize. It's not easy cooking for a house full of picky folks. It's no fun to cook the healthy meal and then listen to everyone complain. But I did it. My husband is fairly picky, but even he would rather eat what I offer than make his own. Most of the time. So that's what I started doing finally. I cook one meal that I can eat within my plan. I'll add on sides that the kids really like (mashed potatoes and such, which I don't eat) to go with the meal. But first and foremost I cook for me. I take their likes and dislikes into consideration-DH hates bell peppers, so I make a portion without if that's part of the meal, etc. All in all, I find making exceptions like this to one meal is much easier than actually fixing two.

Here's an example of what I do:

DH likes chicken teriyaki, particularly breaded. I like grilled chicken. So I make a homemade teriyaki sauce, marinade the chicken in advance, grill it, and add the sauce on the side in case he wants extra. For sides, I provide steamed broccoli and a salad. These are what I like. My oldest son doesn't care for either usually, so I add corn or mashed potatoes to go with. Sometimes I'll provide a side of steamed rice, too. I don't usually eat it, but they all love it.

In this way I've provided a healthy entree that appeals to his taste, sides for everyone to enjoy, and it's just one meal.

HTH
  • EHeadings
    Options
    I agree with above poster- they eat it or nothing at all. My hubs always eats what I do- or he can make something for himself. I still cook yummy food though. It's tricky still cooking things that taste good without tall the fat.. but once you "get it" then it's super easy from there. Most of the time he can't even tell it's "healthy".
  • ChapinaGrande
    ChapinaGrande Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Well, your household may not be set up like mine but the kids eat what's put on the table or nothing at all. No fixing their own stuff or hitting the snacks. They dont eat, they dont get a snack later either (this is the older kids, my 22 month old gets exceptions but she eats anything!) Now that seems harsh but that's what has to be done not only for your own health but theirs as well. Luckily, my husband eats whatever is put on the table but I do know that some husbands are not that easy.

Wait, poster... do you live at my house?? Because this is how I run things as well. I'm happy to say that I've been cooking healthy things for my daughter since she got her first teeth, so she is used to those flavors. For older kids who aren't used to it, this may cause issues, but I would rather have these issues than feed my family poison. Dramatic language. Doot doot doooooooooo.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Who does the cooking? If it's you, I'd just cook the way you want to eat and let them eat it.

This :) Also, healthy food doesn't have to be disgusting. Just because the chicken isn't fried doesn't mean it has to be inedible.

Also, not to be a jerk, but no one ever said weight loss would be convenient. A lot of the reason it's so difficult is because it involves working around obstacles.
  • rcloud
    rcloud Posts: 3
    Options
    I agree with everyone else, if you are the one going to the store and the one cooking then cook the way you see fit. My kids eat what's given to them or they don't eat and they don't get to snack on junk food later. My diet is pretty strict, but it's not unreasonable. My hubby isn't on the health band wagon at the moment so if he wants junk food, he has to supply his own. My kids as far as I'm concerned don't need the junk or fatty high calorie foods.
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options

^^This. My kids eat what's prepared or not at all. They're 3 & 6. There's nothing wrong introducing healthier food into your family's life!
  • jr1985
    jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    Maybe try getting creative with your recipes... Use lots of spices! They add a lot of flavor to anything! Boil veggies with Saffron to give them extra flavor, Add Mrs Dash to lots of things... Make Mashed Cauliflower instead of Mashed potatoes... If you can make things taste good... and have a healthy meal... then everyone is Happy!... But since Healthy foods can be pricey! Do you have an Aldi's near by? They have packages of wild caught salmon for $5.99
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

I am in-between you and the OP. I fix one dinner (though on occasion, I take hubby's meat out before seasoning, if I am using spices because he has Crohn's) and that's all. But I don't make them starve. Mine are teenagers, so they can fix their own or have a snack. But then, I don't keep unhealthy snacks around anymore either. So they can eat what I make or work it out on their own. Sometimes they will fix PBJ if they don't like what I cooked. I'm fine with that.
  • Annabel89
    Annabel89 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    These are all really good suggestions. Generally my OH will eat what I give him, but if he's cooking or he really fancies something not so healthy, I think about how I can adapt what he's making. So curry for example, I might make some roast veggies on the side and only have a little bit of the curry. Or ask to have my chicken out first before he makes the sauce.

We don't have a deep fat fryer and we've never fried anything, but I do most of the cooking and he hasn't noticed the lack of oil in anything :) With pizza we now have it on tortilla or pitta bases, or I will only have half with a big side salad.

Sometimes you can eat what they eat, but only a little bit of it.

Good luck!
  • bsuew
    bsuew Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    Who does the cooking? If it's you, I'd just cook the way you want to eat and let them eat it. I do ALL the cooking at my house. My family knows that since I'm being nice enough to cook for them, they should be nice enough to eat what I cook. In all honesty, my husband loves eating my healthy food, and the kids eat because I tell them too and it's the rule (they're teenagers, but they still have to eat what I make). I do have one or two nights a week where it's a "fend for yourself night." If they want unhealthy, that's when they get it.

It might seem harsh, but it works.
    I totally agree with this! Especially if you are the one that does all the cooking. I told my kids when they were growing up that if they didn't like what I put on the table they did without. Now all 3 of them are grown but they will eat what ever. They didn't get the choice of different meals on the same table. Not enough money for that in the budget!
  • daisiemae123
    daisiemae123 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    You can try to "healthify" the things they like to eat. Use white whole wheat flour or whole wheat instead of white flour, reduce amounts of butter and oil and change up ingredients -- It was weeks before my husband figured out his tacos had lean turkey instead of ground beef. I also added vegetables to old favorites like ziti bake to make it more filling and traded out regular ricotta for fat free or low fat. Make changes gradually and they may not notice (or at least fight it as much).