Not everyone eats like me... :(

Options

Replies

• IreneAdler221
    IreneAdler221 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Well, your household may not be set up like mine but the kids eat what's put on the table or nothing at all. No fixing their own stuff or hitting the snacks. They dont eat, they dont get a snack later either (this is the older kids, my 22 month old gets exceptions but she eats anything!) Now that seems harsh but that's what has to be done not only for your own health but theirs as well. Luckily, my husband eats whatever is put on the table but I do know that some husbands are not that easy.

That's how I do it too. I do try to add a universally liked side in there (like mac n cheese), and just don't put any on my plate.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    I also have to add, that if it is your partner that is complaining, he should appreciate your decision to be healthy, want that for you as well and be doing his best to help you, not moaning about what you put on the table.

As for kids, well, you are the parent. I say no more.
  • Kendra0024
    Kendra0024 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    You can do what I did... I told my husband I wasn't making two meals, and he would have to eat what I fixed. I try to be mindful of the things he absolutely will not eat, but everything else is fair game. If he doesn't like it, he knows that he's free to make something else for himself. Needless to say, he's since joined MFP because he saw that he started losing too (he doesn't have much to lose, but still) and got excited. Last night I made eggplant parmesan, and the guy who hates ALL vegetables ate and loved it! ;)
  • SuperstarDJ
    SuperstarDJ Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Well, your household may not be set up like mine but the kids eat what's put on the table or nothing at all. No fixing their own stuff or hitting the snacks. They dont eat, they dont get a snack later either (this is the older kids, my 22 month old gets exceptions but she eats anything!) Now that seems harsh but that's what has to be done not only for your own health but theirs as well. Luckily, my husband eats whatever is put on the table but I do know that some husbands are not that easy.
    ^^ This! If hubby wants different food then let him buy and cook his own stuff. It's the same in our house. I'm a full time working mother - not a restaurant chef!!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    How about healthier options of the foods they love?

My dad always made an amazing "fried" chicken that was breaded, but baked. I make a variation using a blend of cornflake crumbs and crushed Fiber One cereal, sometimes crushed pretzels and crushed Fiber One. Still crunchy yummy goodness, but a healthier version.

My husband loves Rice A Roni. I add a pile of mixed frozen vegetables to it. I tend to plug out more of the vegetables when I take my serving, and less of the rice. He has more of the rice and only what he calls "non-offensive" vegetables (pretty much just carrots and green beans, no broccoli or cauliflower... he's fussy). But we're both happy and it doesn't dirty any extra pots and pans.
  • Ms_Jae
    Ms_Jae Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Have you tried converting the unhealthy stuff they like into something that you can eat and they'll still like? For example, make "oven fried chicken" instead of frying chicken the traditional way, etc. Something to consider. :)

Thank you. you know I acutally forgot about that. Thanks!
  • kzooprincess
    kzooprincess Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I understand this completely. Sometimes I give the others what they want and other times they eat what I make. Saturday my better half wanted fried fish but I threw mine in the oven topped with lots of herbs and seasoning. I do use a lot of low-fat items when cooking and use ground turkey or turkey sausage frequently. We have also slowed down on the amounts of rice and pasta dishes (though I will NEVER give them up completely).
  • LiveLaffLoseLove
    Options

This is the way it is at my house... Eat whats cooked or starve... Even for my husband... He gets cranky about some of the healthier choices I cook, but I don't see him saddling up to the stove, so they will learn to deal with it!
  • alasin1derland
    alasin1derland Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    If I make chicken I will grill it and I will use sides like broccoli and potato. My plate will have plain chicken , plain broccoli and plain baked potato, everyone else will eat the same base but I will put bbq sauce on their chicken and grate cheddar on their broccoli and maybe a bit of butter on their baked potatoes. We are all eating the same meal but with very little effort they love what they are eating and its still healthier than fried chicken or french fries. Its very rare I make something that can't be easily altered for everyone to enjoy. Another topping for chicken breast can be cheese and pasta sauce melted on top in the oven. Another favourite is grilled chicken on salad, I use all the same salad fixings accept they get to top with grated cheddar and I don't. Chicken breasts are a staple in our house and I do something different with them all week. We also grill steak and have meat sauce spaghetti. I don't make pork because I don't like it but if I make it for them, I cook the pork chops then simmer in condensed cream of mushroom soup. They get rice and green beans on the side, i put the left over condensed soup on the rice. I never deep fry anything. Good luck, hope you find the foods that everyone will enjoy.
  • mearlie
    mearlie Posts: 224
    Options
    How about healthier options of the foods they love?

My dad always made an amazing "fried" chicken that was breaded, but baked. I make a variation using a blend of cornflake crumbs and crushed Fiber One cereal, sometimes crushed pretzels and crushed Fiber One. Still crunchy yummy goodness, but a healthier version.

My husband loves Rice A Roni. I add a pile of mixed frozen vegetables to it. I tend to plug out more of the vegetables when I take my serving, and less of the rice. He has more of the rice and only what he calls "non-offensive" vegetables (pretty much just carrots and green beans, no broccoli or cauliflower... he's fussy). But we're both happy and it doesn't dirty any extra pots and pans.

Loving these suggestions and going to try them!
  • lesliefb
    lesliefb Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    To sort of reiterate what the others were saying, I think you have a couple different options.

The first thing, is yes, if you're the cook in the family, then you get to choose what groceries are bought and what meals are served. I do not make separate meals for my hubby and kids, but rather make meals with options. For example, I'll make turkey chili (everyone likes) and I'll eat mine with a side salad, and the rest of the family may add cheese, sour cream or tortilla chips. Or, I'll make tacos and have all my toppings on a bed of greens (which I love) and they'll have theirs in shells. If I make pasta sauce, I'll serve mine over spaghetti squash (again, which I love) and they will have theirs on regular pasta. With that in mind, I don't COOK anything I won't eat. If they want something else, it has to come out of a box or a bag or they have to cook it themselves.

Second, there are some delicious ways to make healthy food. Check out Cooking Light magazine or website or skinnytaste.com. You can bake a lot of the things that are typically fried, including "fried" chicken and baked fries. I'll bet you'll find a ton of options that everyone will like.

For me the trick is to eat less of the "filler" like pasta and breads, and focus more on the veggies. I eat pizza and all kinds of regular foods, but make sure at least half my plate is fruit and/or veg. You gotta make your menu fit your lifestyle and preferences, because otherwise it will always be a temporary fix.
  • foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    Have you tried converting the unhealthy stuff they like into something that you can eat and they'll still like? For example, make "oven fried chicken" instead of frying chicken the traditional way, etc. Something to consider. :)

I used to make oven fried chicken a lot, and it can be quite good. This might be a good suggestion for you.
  • dearprudence78
    Options
    So very frustrating for you, I'm sure. As if weight loss wasn't hard enough you're being doled out extra temptation. Have you tried sitting your entire family down and explaining to them just what having to make all their favorite fried foods does to you? Maybe also share with them the reasons you want to lose weight. It might help them understand just how important this is to you. Our loved ones have a tendency to look past our excess pounds because they love us and don't typically see "unhealthy" when they look at us. Ask them for their input. This will sort of gently force them to get on board with your efforts and who knows - maybe you'll inspire the others to make healthy changes too! Best of luck!
  • sandcgordon
    sandcgordon Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I can completely understand how you feel. We come from a family that loves to eat. It is our way of showing love. Dealing with the guilt when they are unhappy can make it very hard emotionally. I had to just realize that I have to love me too. Now I cook like most of the advice on here suggests. Getting creative and swapping ingredients can make a big difference. On Sundays, my husband traditionally cooks our family pancakes from scratch. Using a whole wheat flour, using splenda instead of sugar really cuts down on the calories and I recently discovered blue agave which really helps me not miss regular syrup. Hang in there and just give things time. It takes 20 days to form a new habit.
  • LeidaPrimal
    LeidaPrimal Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    So, fry your chicken, just don't do the breading (maybe throw some shredded cheese on), and use a good oil to fry, not some crappy canola. And serve greens for the side, steamed or fresh. If your folks can't live without grains, serve them grains or potato separately. You will be a slender goddess in no time, and your family will eat with you & rave about food. Win-win.

Dunno about other men, but when my husband heard that we are gonna eat meats, good fats and vegetables he thought he married the right girl. Honestly, after starving myself into sickness with whole grains and low fat yogurts and a few shreds of skinless breasts, I don't mind that either.
  • jrbb03092
    jrbb03092 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    We have always worked on the "I'm not a short order cook" principle in my house. I only make one meal. That said

- if I make something and it sucks, there's always some fruit, cheese and wholegrain crackers

- we get healthy cookbooks and my 12-yr-old daughter helps me choose recipes she thinks sound good

- my daughter helps me cook when there's time and she's interested

- whenever we make a new dish, we all rate it and we decide whether it goes into regular rotation or doesn't get made again

- I tell my daughter and husband that I need their help and support and they're welcome to eat whatever they'd like when we're out but when we're home, I need them to be trying new recipes and leaving the junk in the store

Luckily, we've been feeding our daughter a real variety of food since she was little so there's very little she won't eat or at least try and since I've gone vegetarian, my daughter's actually decided to join me. Hubby is still hanging onto his meat at lunch and when we're out but he's totally supportive otherwise and they're both loving the veg dishes we're cooking.

p.s. changing existing recipes works as well - I have a crockpot Indian butter chicken recipe that we all love and since we were missing it, last night I substituted chickpeas for the chicken and it was sooo good. so now we have one of our fave recipe back, just with a twist :)
  • dsmpunk
    dsmpunk Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Same here. I end up cooking what I want to cook. I HAVE to.

The reason I gained weight in the first place was because I ate what the family wanted to eat. Now I call the shots and my kids eat what I make or they go to bed hungry.

My SO can make something on her own if she doesn't like it. It may seem harsh at times, but honestly it IS life and death decisions we make when we decide what to eat!
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I also have converted many of our favorites to healtier versions. The internet abounds with information and recipes! Are you on Pinterest? I have found lots of awesome healthy recipes there.
    I also made slow and subtle changes to allow them to adjust and tried to not throw too many new things at them at once.
    At the same time, I have a husband and six children to cook for. I can't please all of them all the time. When I'm planning menus for the week, I take suggestions. I try to include a variety at each meal. But once I've shopped and cooked the meal, the choices are "eat it or be hungry."
  • Sharyn913
    Sharyn913 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I think you are making this situation more difficult than it needs to be.

Who are the other people you are cooking for? Husband? Children?

If it's a man, I'm sure he will eat what you put in front of him. If he is really picky, put on a low cut shirt, serve him his dinner, and that should do the trick.
  • Ivana331
    Ivana331 Posts: 230
    Options
    I am the only one in my family of four that eats the way I am eating. I mean my kids have the same dairy and fruits, but they don't like veggies or salads or anything and my husband is still eating junk food all the time. So what I do is buy what I need for a couple of weeks and then buy the rest of stuff for the family. I highly doubt you eat as much as they eat so it wouldn't be two different grocery sets...more like a 1 and a half. Anyways, I eat what I want all day since my hubby works and then dinner is a compromise. We both like chicken and turkey, so I do that as the main dish then he can have whatever he wants on the side and I eat my salad or veggies.
    I also make sure he knows what I won't eat, so yeah we always have two different types of bread, tortillas, and snacks in the house, but I am not willing to give in to his bad habits. When I cook dinner, he can either eat it or not! He has the choice to cook or eat something that he wants if he doesn't want what I made. It's up to him really.