Carbs...

Options
To prevent myself from going over on carbs, i have to exercise each day for at least half an hour

I dont get it, why is eating a banana so bad? Or an apple?

I eat pretty healthy now, but i worry about having too many carbs and i would far rather be under each day than over

but its always tipping the scale and i dont like it!

Replies

• Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Carbs in fruit and veggies are ok...it's the processed carbs like white bread, pasta etc you need to watch for :smile:
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Who ever said that fruit was bad? Don't take any advice from such people - EVER!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    Bananas and apples aren't bad. But you could limit them. Two fruits a day is the general recommendation. My Carbs are set at 100g (1500 calories) and I manage to stay under most days.

Breads, pastas, rice, cereal, I limit to one or two per day. But unless you need to be on a low carb diet for some medical reason, there is no benefit to limiting these foods. I just find that they trigger me to over eat.
  • FeebRyan
    FeebRyan Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I dont eat gluten or dairy, so i only eat pitta/flatbread if i have made it myself!

I dont eat white rice

the things that seem to be high in carbs, are bananas (i often have 2 a day) and apples etc

I never really go over with calories, often way under, i average around 1800 a day but breastfeeding takes off 500 of that...

I just dont get how i can eat 'less' carbs, i dont eat bread/rice/pasta generally at all. seems odd.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    I dont eat gluten or dairy, so i only eat pitta/flatbread if i have made it myself!

I dont eat white rice

the things that seem to be high in carbs, are bananas (i often have 2 a day) and apples etc

I never really go over with calories, often way under, i average around 1800 a day but breastfeeding takes off 500 of that...

I just dont get how i can eat 'less' carbs, i dont eat bread/rice/pasta generally at all. seems odd.

...Perfect example of the confusion caused by fad diets...

If you are gluten and dairy free, and rice free, etc. then you need to eat plenty of veggies and an extra serving or two of fruit. A high amount of carbohydrates would be more than 65% of your calories coming from carbs. For a healthy adult, anywhere from 40-65% is a decent range for carbohydrates. So on 1800 per day, you are safe between 150-300g of carbohydrates. (Though it would be difficult to get that many in with only fruits and veggies.)

A low-carb diet has no benefit, unless you have a medical condition that requires you to eat that way. Low carb is less than 75g per day. Some people consider 20-50g per day as ideal for low-carb folks.
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    To prevent myself from going over on carbs, i have to exercise each day for at least half an hour

I eat pretty healthy now, but i worry about having too many carbs and i would far rather be under each day than over

you can overeat on carbohydrates and since bananas and apples are carbs you can overeat and gain weight from them... they are nutritionally dense and are the carbs u want to eat because of that, but you cant eat as much as you want... carbs are good for you just track them and eat in moderation.
  • HMD7703
    HMD7703 Posts: 761 Member
    Options

Because they are sugar and you CAN have too much sugar - from natural sources like fruit or otherwise.
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options

Give up the juice and the snack bar and you lose 100 carbs on the Saturday or Sunday I looked at. Whole fruit is good. Juice is just empty calories. Drink water instead.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Give up the juice and the snack bar and you lose 100 carbs on the Saturday or Sunday I looked at. Whole fruit is good. Juice is just empty calories. Drink water instead.

While I don't disagree that whole fruit is better than juice, I have to say that there is no such thing as "empty calories."
  • dsmpunk
    dsmpunk Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    A lot of the carb heavy processed foods are typically lacking in nutrients. So if you are going to restrict your diet then carbs are usually one of the first things to get cut. Fruit in no way shape or form is bad..but carbs are carbs and sugar is sugar. The benefit of eating the sugars in fruit is the nutritional value of everything else in them. Bananas in particular are pretty high in sugar and I try to limit them to one a day or so.

Cut the white bread, white rice and instant oatmeal and replace them with whole wheat, brown rice and steal cut oats. Do this, not because carbs are inherently bad, but because you will get the benefit of a more nutrient packed food for the same amount of calories.

Yeah, eat the whole fruit not the juice. Might as well drink pop IMO.
  • dsmpunk
    dsmpunk Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Oh and as a general rule, tropical fruits tend to be higher in sugar than most. Berries tend to be lower in sugar.
  • FeebRyan
    Options

While I don't disagree that whole fruit is better than juice, I have to say that there is no such thing as "empty calories."

The apple juice i use to make my smoothie smooth? Gonna keep that i reckon :)

I am not on a 'fad diet' i am intollerant to gluten and dairy

This website is really quite rude, should we not be supporting each other?

Yes i do have a snack each day, mostly because i dont have TIME to prepare more than 3 meals, i am a very hard working mum of 2

I am sorry i posted, please no more 'support' I wont make the mistake of posting anything again.
  • FeebRyan
    Options
    A lot of the carb heavy processed foods are typically lacking in nutrients. So if you are going to restrict your diet then carbs are usually one of the first things to get cut. Fruit in no way shape or form is bad..but carbs are carbs and sugar is sugar. The benefit of eating the sugars in fruit is the nutritional value of everything else in them. Bananas in particular are pretty high in sugar and I try to limit them to one a day or so.

Cut the white bread, white rice and instant oatmeal and replace them with whole wheat, brown rice and steal cut oats. Do this, not because carbs are inherently bad, but because you will get the benefit of a more nutrient packed food for the same amount of calories.

Yeah, eat the whole fruit not the juice. Might as well drink pop IMO.

I dont eat white rice, any bread or oatmeal!

i have one banana with breakfast and often one on the go because its quick, easy food for me.
  • FeebRyan
    Options

I dont eat white rice

...Perfect example of the confusion caused by fad diets...

If you are gluten and dairy free, and rice free, etc. then you need to eat plenty of veggies and an extra serving or two of fruit. A high amount of carbohydrates would be more than 65% of your calories coming from carbs. For a healthy adult, anywhere from 40-65% is a decent range for carbohydrates. So on 1800 per day, you are safe between 150-300g of carbohydrates. (Though it would be difficult to get that many in with only fruits and veggies.)

A low-carb diet has no benefit, unless you have a medical condition that requires you to eat that way. Low carb is less than 75g per day. Some people consider 20-50g per day as ideal for low-carb folks.

I have never said i am 'rice free'

do people actually read posts on this forum or do they just assume and type whatever pop's into their heads?
  • HMD7703
    HMD7703 Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    I don't think anyone was being rude to you, they are trying to explain their point of view. Of course, not everyone agrees on every aspect of what "healthy" is. And that is ok. Don't give up on posting to the forums - some really good information can come of it. Just take things with a grain of salt. Good luck
  • Wilbur_NOLA
    Wilbur_NOLA Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I don't think anyone would say eating a banana or apple is "bad" for you, but they may say eating a lot of bananas or apples is "bad" for specific diets, especially those who limit their carbs to only low glycemic carbs. Timing is everything too, so eating them early in the day or before/after exercise would probably be ideal. Best of luck!
  • FeebRyan
    Options
    I don't think anyone was being rude to you, they are trying to explain their point of view. Of course, not everyone agrees on every aspect of what "healthy" is. And that is ok. Don't give up on posting to the forums - some really good information can come of it. Just take things with a grain of salt. Good luck

everything i post gets twisted into negativity!

I have no space for negativity! I am only interested in positive change and only interested in hearing from people who offer positive advice and opinions, not put others down for no reason other than their own twisted ideals.

I said i did not eat gluten, yet i am answering questions about white bread and processed carbs? So seriously, are people inept at reading? Because thats certainly how it looks.

I posted earlier about my experiences going gluten free and was told i was not 'qualified' to post and that i had 'clearly never stuck at anything in my life' which is rude and unnecessary.

I shouldn't have posted because i do not need the negative, arrogant and rude comments i ONLY ever get from this forum.

I think i will stick to the food diaries from now on. its useful for me to see what i eat but not useful to ask reasonable questions and get such a barrage of uneducated pap quite frankly.
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options

Huh?? It's not bad. At all. But posts like this seem to propogate the confusion.

Try this - Don't even look at carbs. Look at protein, fat, and calories.
  • FeebRyan
    Options
    I don't think anyone would say eating a banana or apple is "bad" for you, but they may say eating a lot of bananas or apples is "bad" for specific diets, especially those who limit their carbs to only low glycemic carbs. Timing is everything too, so eating them early in the day or before/after exercise would probably be ideal. Best of luck!

I suppose i am unsure how 2 bananas a day is 'too much'

but perhaps i should look for something else i can eat on my way out the door. maybe add something to breakfast so i dont get peckish mid-morning and need a snack :)
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

The apple juice i use to make my smoothie smooth? Gonna keep that i reckon :)

I am not on a 'fad diet' i am intollerant to gluten and dairy

This website is really quite rude, should we not be supporting each other?

Yes i do have a snack each day, mostly because i dont have TIME to prepare more than 3 meals, i am a very hard working mum of 2

I am sorry i posted, please no more 'support' I wont make the mistake of posting anything again.

Are you ****ing kidding me? No one was rude to you at all. Where the hell do you people come from that find offense at absolutely nothing. Everyone gave you very solid, nonjudgmental advice.

I am blown away.