It must be more than math...

Options

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    It is more than math. All calories are not created equal and timing is important.

A calories is nothing more than a unit of measure for energy. What you may mean is that every macronutrient and/or micrronutrient is not created equal? How much you eat is one issue (calories). What you eat is another.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    You can disregard the state of your metabolism and treat this like a pure energy in/out maths puzzle if you wish.

I wouldn't.
  • pg3ibew
    pg3ibew Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    It is ALL Math. You are either over/underestimating your daily activity level and/or your dialy caloric intake level. Or you are measuring your food wrong. It is ALL MATH.

You are doing something wrong.
    Are you weighing and measuring properly.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    A calories is nothing more than a unit of measure for energy. What you may mean is that every macronutrient and/or micrronutrient is not created equal? How much you eat is one issue (calories). What you eat is another.

What you eat determines how it is processed, which determines how the calories are used.

And changing the macronutrient composition will have a profound effect on this.
  • pg3ibew
    Options
    You can disregard the state of your metabolism and treat this like a pure energy in/out maths puzzle if you wish.

I wouldn't.

I did just that and and used just math and it worked marvelously.
  • jonilynn70
    jonilynn70 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    And the back-and-forth conversation above is half the reason why I don't even know what is the right direction to reach the last part of my goal.... too many things that can be done wrong, too little to do right, too confusing to know what is best. I guess I'll just go about my way with my plan to be consistent with my exercise and let the calories fall where they may. Just trying to whiddle my middle and drop that final size. :)
  • StinkyWinkies
    StinkyWinkies Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    From my research 30% is too high (for me, just to be clear). I set activity to 'sedentary' and 'eat back' calories burned, if I choose. Drink plenty of water, get plenty of rest; these are factors in weight loss/gain as well.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    And the back-and-forth conversation above is half the reason why I don't even know what is the right direction to reach the last part of my goal.... too many things that can be done wrong, too little to do right, too confusing to know what is best. I guess I'll just go about my way with my plan to be consistent with my exercise and let the calories fall where they may. Just trying to whiddle my middle and drop that final size. :)

You never answered what your actual calorie goal is. Your original post was not clear on that.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

What you eat determines how it is processed, which determines how the calories are used.

And changing the macronutrient composition will have a profound effect on this.

There is some validity to this line of thinking. However, taking in too much energy of any kind will cause fat storage. But, in support of what you said, taking in too many carbs can cause things like insulin sensitivity, increased triglycerides etc. Thus, my statement a few posts back applies. You need to manage both total calories and macronutrients.
  • jonilynn70
    Options
    It is ALL Math. You are either over/underestimating your daily activity level and/or your dialy caloric intake level. Or you are measuring your food wrong. It is ALL MATH.

Well I have been using the counters here on MFP for both exercise and food calories so I'm not certain where I could be going wrong in that regard. I believe my poor food choices in the last week have created some of the problem and being close to my goal may make it just that much more difficult. I have never been this close to goal before so it's all new territory for me. Thanks for your thoughts.
  • jonilynn70
    Options
    From my research 30% is too high (for me, just to be clear). I set activity to 'sedentary' and 'eat back' calories burned, if I choose. Drink plenty of water, get plenty of rest; these are factors in weight loss/gain as well.

I have my settings at sedentary here on MFP - the calories it gives me are 1,200. Then exercise is additional - which I do eat back most often. Not all the time. The 30% was from another site calculator I used to see what my maintenance number would be to see if that is why I wasn't losing anymore and in fact gaining sometimes.
  • jonilynn70
    Options

You never answered what your actual calorie goal is. Your original post was not clear on that.

I don'have a calorie goal. MFP has me at 1,200 a day to lose 1 lb a week.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    What does it tell you to eat if you set it to half a pound a week?

I would try taking your TDEE less 15% which would be about 1500 cals. And then do not eat exercise calories.

As you get closer to your goal, it is more difficult to lose the weight. And since you are already eating at the minimum recommended calories, you can't cut further. Also your margin for error is smaller if your are underestimating your food or overestimating your exercise calories.
  • jonilynn70
    Options
    What does it tell you to eat if you set it to half a pound a week?

I would try taking your TDEE less 15% which would be about 1500 cals. And then do not eat exercise calories.

As you get closer to your goal, it is more difficult to lose the weight. And since you are already eating at the minimum recommended calories, you can't cut further. Also your margin for error is smaller if your are underestimating your food or overestimating your exercise calories.

It changes to 1,410. So you think I should go with this then? And does that mean I should try to land right around that number and not try to be under? And make my calories count in a good way instead of some of the mindless conveniences I have been doing. So many of my friends are able to eat junk and drink alcohol or caloric drinks and still lose and I get so sidetracked by that. Apparently that doesn't work for me.
  • pg3ibew
    Options

Well I have been using the counters here on MFP for both exercise and food calories so I'm not certain where I could be going wrong in that regard. I believe my poor food choices in the last week have created some of the problem and being close to my goal may make it just that much more difficult. I have never been this close to goal before so it's all new territory for me. Thanks for your thoughts.

I make poor food choices a lot. I stay at or just under my calorie goals though. Are you weighing and measuring? Not to sound insulting, but are you weighing and measuring your food correctly?
    When you look up foods on mfp, are you using the high or low calorie entry. Example. One for ounce burger says 150 cals and the other 4 ounce burger says 200. Are you using the 150? If so, you should always always always cheat yourself. In other words, go with the higher cals.
  • jonilynn70
    Options
    I didn't look at your diary when you messaged me earlier. I just had a look. You don't have sodium tracked or your water intake. Plus some days you're WAY under on calories... If you're exercising the amount you mentioned in the message, I would have to confirm my thought that you actually aren't eating enough for your activity level... And your sodium may be high, espcially with the Subway and things like that. The sodium content in one sandwich is ridiculous. I don't know how much water you're drinking, but if your sodium is high, you need to drink even more. As I also mentioned, I think the gain you experienced is also more than likely water retention.

Thanks again. I added my sodium and saturated fat trackers. The sodium that MFP gives me for a daily limit seems as if I'm not going to go over very often so maybe that's not it? Just when I think I have the carbs or the low glycemic index worked out, something like sodium sidetracks me. :) I don't drink nearly enough water which is why I don't track it. I also use to survive on diet coke alone and I stopped that Friday at noon and haven't had any since though I had a small amount of sprite today and yesterday. I also have unsweet tea - I need the caffeine even if it is a diuretic. Boy all of this just has my head ready to explode!!
  • jonilynn70
    Options

I make poor food choices a lot. I stay at or just under my calorie goals though. Are you weighing and measuring? Not to sound insulting, but are you weighing and measuring your food correctly?

I'm really not sure as I don't have a kitchen scale. I could be underestimating my intake but I really don't eat large portions. It just seems I choose the wrong things to eat. Like take-out. But when I cook at home I make very small portions so I don't feel like I am really eating more calories than I am tracking. All was going really well until about a month ago. The fact that I haven't changed anything up that much is what has me confused on how to proceed. :)
  • pg3ibew
    Options

I'm really not sure as I don't have a kitchen scale. I could be underestimating my intake but I really don't eat large portions. It just seems I choose the wrong things to eat. Like take-out. But when I cook at home I make very small portions so I don't feel like I am really eating more calories than I am tracking. All was going really well until about a month ago. The fact that I haven't changed anything up that much is what has me confused on how to proceed. :)

If you don't have a scale, don't expect to lose much of anything. Because it is ALL MATH.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options

You need to get a food scale and track your food accurately. When you get to lower weights it gets more difficult and you have to be accurate. The reverse could be true on your exercise. If your running are you timing your runs or just estimating your pace and time? Here is your answer, be more accurate.
  • jonilynn70
    Options

You need to get a food scale and track your food accurately. When you get to lower weights it gets more difficult and you have to be accurate. The reverse could be true on your exercise. If your running are you timing your runs or just estimating your pace and time? Here is your answer, be more accurate.

Thank you! I do have a nike band to track my runs - time and pace - but I use MFP for the calories burned which is less than what my Nike band shows. I am getting a heart monitor for my birthday so I can actually track my 30 day shred burns (if any) and my Zumba workouts. Having never been close to my goal I appreciate the advice on how important accuracy becomes.