Words/phrases you hate...

Options

Replies

• jillica
    jillica Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I cannot stand the word "moist".

You need to watch HIMYM. There is a whole episode around hating that word.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    WTF does Yolo mean?

You
    Only
    Live
    Once

can someone use this in a sentence please?
  • jwilson3787
    Options
    "It's been a minute since I seen you" ...... Actually it's been 3 years
  • Owsla135
    Owsla135 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Anywhoo.. and the other crap that goes with it. We will finger it out bleh bleh. In my opinion makes you sound like a complete imbecile.

Blood.. just like the way its said... lol i know silly and hard to explain
    Ah, that reminds me of two phrases that have always sounded ridiculously dirty to me:
    "Rub off on" and "Beat around the bush."

Maybe he'll rub off on me? No thank you! But really, don't beat around the bush...move it along to the good stuff.

Reminded me of another term that really bothers me... "Rub one out". If you are going to be classless and announce it to everyone, just call it what it is...
  • bridgelene
    bridgelene Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    When people use the word "retard" as an insult. Being a mother of an intellectually disabled child it makes me want to SCREAM!

This was a message I tried to get through to my kids while they were growing up - 'retard' is so commonly used as an insult that it was difficult for them not to adopt the term just because they heard it so often at school.

When she was about 13-14, my daughter started to be an occasional weekend carer (with my supervision) of a young intellectually disabled woman and the message finally hit home for both my children.

That's why the term for it changes every couple of years. Every time they have a new term for it, it turns into an insult and they have to change it.
    It used to be called "imbecile" or "retard", then it changed to "mental retardation", then it had a couple of other names and now the medical term is "intellectually challenged" or "intellectually disabled".
    I've had to look into this, because I had to develop a game for intellectually disabled people and so had to talk to them and help out on a daycare centre a couple of days, to learn about them and what they can or can't do. Obviously you'll want to use the right term, to not insult them.
    If we'd stop giving up our words to bullies, we wouldn't have to change it all the time. My son is mentally retarded. That's a fact. I'm not going to NOT say so just because a bunch of a-holes decided to make it a bad word. Let them find something else to say; we weren't doing anything wrong, so we shouldn't have to change.

Good point! Back before nursing school it was called the ___ County Board of Mental Retardation/Developmental Disabilities (LCBMRDD) and I was a QMRP. I stepped back to an aide (and eventually graduated and became a nurse) and not long after the MR had to come out and it was the LCBDD, and my former job title started being referred to as QDDP. That being said, one of my client's mom would say offhandedly and matter of factly " *insert her child's name here* is retarded." Of course not meaning it in a bad way. Just that it's how he his brain was, which -- I can see that because of what the dictionary definition of the word is. It's true. A word only has that bad meaning if you give it that power.

Unfortunately I do hate when people use the words retarded and gay (and all those fun words) as derogatory terms. Seriously. Learn the real definitions, and grow up.....
  • TimeWillTell2
    TimeWillTell2 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    "my bad"

"no brainer"
  • JEG2012
    JEG2012 Posts: 158
    Options
    'TO YOUR POINT' ....damn I hate that! So overused!
  • gddrdld
    gddrdld Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    When somebody means "once in a while" but they say/write "once and a while."

Me too!! And, I'd like to add (if not already said) "FTW" (which apparently means "for the win"?) Annoying!!
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    "swag"
    " that's beast"
    "yolo"
    "that's legit"
    to go along with this...

"bro"
    "jus' sayin'"
  • LeggyAmericanGirl
    LeggyAmericanGirl Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    * special snowflake*
  • Owsla135
    Owsla135 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    When somebody means "once in a while" but they say/write "once and a while."

Me too!! And, I'd like to add (if not already said) "FTW" (which apparently means "for the win"?) Annoying!!

I remember when FTW meant something completely different. I must be getting old. Thank you for clearing that up though because I was seriously confused about a few posts.
  • gddrdld
    gddrdld Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I cannot stand the word "moist".

You need to watch HIMYM. There is a whole episode around hating that word.

What the heck is "HIMYM"??? Damn...Did I mention how annoying random pop-culture related accronyms are?
  • tacticalhippie
    tacticalhippie Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    preggers, preggo
    wifey and hubby

chillax

and using the first initial of your city with -vegas added to the end.
  • jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    My Bad
  • GSCPostBaby
    GSCPostBaby Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Bless your heart. Bleh!
  • jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Irregardless!

Me too its not even a word!

And supposebly instead of supposedly
  • GSCPostBaby
    GSCPostBaby Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    when people say "meow" instead of "now"

Does this actually happen??? :laugh:
    ya, for example "I want school to be over right MEOW so I can go to the beach"

This is a tribute to "Super Troopers", and I find it hilarious.
    I don't

Not so funny meow is it.
  • bridgelene
    bridgelene Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    when people use the word "sick" to mean "cool" (or whatever)

Thankfully around here at least, it seems to not be as common as it once was......
  • thejen75
    Options
    "it is what it is"... uhmm.. ya think?
  • Danayle
    Danayle Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    cool beans

Yeah, I don't like that one either.