Low carb diets?

Options

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    You do not lose fat mass in a chronic caloric surplus.

EDIT: That's not to say that low carb approaches are bad or ineffective. I think it's a valid approach for some people, but the misunderstandings of insulin and the bastardization of thermodynamics are the part that I draw issue with.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Lots of people gain or maintain strength while dieting down, but what makes you a special snowflake is that you think you can lose fat without creating a caloric deficit

Unfortunately my long run of experience trumps the snowflake theory. How much weight did you have to lose in your life just wondering?

Too bad your experience didn't do too much for your general understanding of basic concepts regarding weightloss

I've lost 65-70lbs from my highest weight
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    My experiences are all second hand because I know it's not something I personally would stick to. I know several (7 I can think of right off hand) who have lost weight on low carb. 2 lost a significant amount of weight. None of them kept it off, because none of them stuck to the diet long term.

The diet holds no real advantage in weight loss for most people. Though I think many people find it easier to cut calories when they cut carbs because many of their favorite foods are carb based, so they not as tempted to overeat. But this is the danger if you don't plan to eat low carb forever. Once you stop eating low carb you may still find it hard to eat them in moderation because you haven't taught yourself to do so.

Whether eating low carb improves health beyond lost weight depends on the source of the carbs you give up and individual body chemistry. If most of your carbs come from sugary drinks, desserts, candy and overly processed grains, then giving those up would likely improve your health. If you are eating whole grains, vegetables and fruit, giving those up likely will not improve your health beyond the benefits of losing weight while eating them.
  • lukeevans85
    lukeevans85 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I love when people either do not know or just ignore the fact that people who eat low carb have a several hundred calorie advantage over lowfat high carb dieters. There are several different metabolic reasons for it.
    It is also an effective treatment for type 2 diabetes.

But ignoring this, and several other good reasons to TRY a low carb diet, blindly bashing it is really cool on MFP. I have consistently lost weight when clearly not in a deficit when adhering to LC. 3000 calories a day. Bacon and eggs, ribeye steaks, chicken wings, lots of high fiber low GI veggies. Sometimes it's just hard to not want taters bread and pasta.

Care to explain the wizardry that allows for fat loss while not in a deficit

My aren't you just combative?! You entertain me, please do more! You tell me why, because I do. In fact, I lose fat and maintain or gain strength.

If it WORKS FOR YOU, DO IT. That's the wizardry!

You started at 338 lbs according to your profile...

Without actually going and calculating your TDEE (since I don't know your height)...I'm guessing for someone who weighs (weighed) 338 lbs....3000 cals IS A DEFICIT. My SW was 225 and my TDEE was over 2500. I eat 1900 - 2100 cals a day generally. And that's more than 100 lbs less than your SW.
  • sin485
    sin485 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    if i dont get enough carbs i dont have the energy to work out! so yea that diet not for me :p
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options

Without actually going and calculating your TDEE (since I don't know your height)...I'm guessing for someone who weighs (weighed) 338 lbs....3000 cals IS A DEFICIT. My SW was 225 and my TDEE was over 2500. I eat 1900 - 2100 cals a day generally. And that's more than 100 lbs less than your SW.

I can give you that, and there is still the issue of a 15-25% caloric advantage to low carb which really was my only point about it being a deficit vs surplus. Albeit I did it poorly!
  • lukeevans85
    Options
    Actually...just to take this a step further (and keep in mind I'm assuming you to be average height and in your mid 30's)

If you weighed 338lbs, were 5'9'' tall, 35 years old, and exercise 1-3 days per week your TDEE is 3863 calories. That means you can eat 3863 cals per day to MAINTAIN your weight. So if you're eating at 3000 you are eating at a deficit of 863 calories per day.

The only way 3000 cals is maintenance for you is if you are sedentary...and your height is 3'9''

I'm guessing you aren't 3'9''.
  • Acg67
    Options

I can give you that, and there is still the issue of a 15-25% caloric advantage to low carb which really was my only point about it being a deficit vs surplus. Albeit I did it poorly!

And how does this caloric advantage manifest itself?
  • lukeevans85
    Options
    Also...while looking at your diary...even just for this week. You are eating almost the same amount of cals (or less) as I am...my SW is 113 lbs lighter than your SW and often times you are netting less than me. Which is actually an extreme deficit.

Oh and you're eating the same amount of carbs I am. And I eat a crap load of carbs.

So realistically...you're not even on a low carb diet dude.
  • Bakkasan
    Options
    AG, since you have been so nice: http://bit.ly/UFOeWa

edit: Haha going over your history you just post obtuse anti low carb everywhere. I do LOVE your beer choices though. No need or use anymore with ya here.
  • xiamjackie
    xiamjackie Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    What are your opinions and experiences with them and (about) how many calories are you eating on them?

thanks!

I think alot of people have misconceptions about low carb, not everyone goes into ketosis and lowers their carbs that much. I keep my carbs around 120 a day and with my fiber intake i net below 100. I don't feel deprived whatsoever. I have alot of energy and have no problem getting through my workouts because i eat healthy carbs like veggies and whole grains at times. A lot of people like low carb because sugar cravings are reduced and sometimes eliminated and after being on it for sometime, when i crave something sweet i eat fruit. I dont eat processed junk thAt has no carbs, just with anyway of eating you have to watch all things. And fat is not the enemy. Try and get as much good fats as possible. I try to stick to leaner meats and will occasionally have some higher fat ones but try not to go overboard. I eat between 2000 to 2200 cals a day, considering meat and dairy are usually a hit higher cal, along w fats.

To each his own and what you choose to do, but if you follow a low carb approach the right way, it is healthy. Low carbs doesn't always mean 20 carbs a day.

ETA - i got my calories by figuring out my TDEE and BMR

I usually eat net carbs around 120 a day too. I don't understand how this is low-carb.
  • Bakkasan
    Options
    So realistically...you're not even on a low carb diet dude.

I am not LCing right now or actually logging my food. I had a big *kitten* bowl of pasta with garlic rolls and sausage last night.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    What are your opinions and experiences with them and (about) how many calories are you eating on them?

thanks!

I think alot of people have misconceptions about low carb, not everyone goes into ketosis and lowers their carbs that much. I keep my carbs around 120 a day and with my fiber intake i net below 100. I don't feel deprived whatsoever. I have alot of energy and have no problem getting through my workouts because i eat healthy carbs like veggies and whole grains at times. A lot of people like low carb because sugar cravings are reduced and sometimes eliminated and after being on it for sometime, when i crave something sweet i eat fruit. I dont eat processed junk thAt has no carbs, just with anyway of eating you have to watch all things. And fat is not the enemy. Try and get as much good fats as possible. I try to stick to leaner meats and will occasionally have some higher fat ones but try not to go overboard. I eat between 2000 to 2200 cals a day, considering meat and dairy are usually a hit higher cal, along w fats.

To each his own and what you choose to do, but if you follow a low carb approach the right way, it is healthy. Low carbs doesn't always mean 20 carbs a day.

ETA - i got my calories by figuring out my TDEE and BMR

I usually eat net carbs around 120 a day too. I don't understand how this is low-carb.

Yeah, I eat "low carb" by some definitions, though I make no effort to do so. The problem with all these low carb threads is that there is no single definition of a low carb diet.

I've also noticed that a whole lot of people seem to think that grains and carbs are synonyms.
  • Acg67
    Options
    AG, since you have been so nice: http://bit.ly/UFOeWa

Lol did you read that study?

Here's another one (I know I know, not done in 2012 so it doesn't count, but still)

Presence or absence of carbohydrates and the proportion of fat in a high-protein diet affect appetite suppression but not energy expenditure in normal-weight human subjects fed in energy balance
    British Journal of Nutrition, Nov, 2010; 104

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20565999
  • Bakkasan
    Options
    It doesn't matter, #1 works for me, #2 its a study which validates my point whether you agree or not. This is THE INTERNET.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter, #1 works for me, #2 its a study which validates my point whether you agree or not. This is THE INTERNET.

So you're not interested in learning, only posting things that agree with what you say and plug your ears to the rest?

I don't understand why so many don't want to even consider other's when they post conficting scientific studies. At least read it so you can form an opinion based on knowledge and not solely on anecdotal evidence.
  • lukeevans85
    Options

So let me make sure I didn't miss anything.

You swear up and down that low carb diets are the way to go and that you have lost all your weight with NO deficit.

It's proven that you are eating at a deficit...quite possibly even an extreme (and maybe unsafe) deficit.

Multiple links are provided to ACTUAL scientific studies showing that low carb is not all its cracked up to be.

You provide a link to google...basically.

Then you say that you don't care about ANY of that....and that google works for you and that's how you know you're right.

Well you must be a consultant for Dr. Oz.
  • Acg67
    Options

Funny the study you posted, bodyweight was nearly identical across all 3 diets. Odd seeing as there is such a caloric advantage.
    And does a single study really validate your point if the majority of the current literature does not?
  • Spartan_Maker
    Spartan_Maker Posts: 683 Member
    Options

Funny the study you posted, bodyweight was nearly identical across all 3 diets. Odd seeing as there is such a caloric advantage.
    And does a single study really validate your point if the majority of the current literature does not?

Are you aware of any studies that meet the criteria I set forth in my previous post: (1) low carb group is in ketosis (10-30-60); (2) high carb group (50-30-20); (3) protein and calories held constant; (4) food intake was controlled and not self-reported; and (5) subjects were representative of the population-at-large rather than elite athletes or morbidly obese people?

I'm having a difficult time finding such a study and would be very interested to see the results of one set up this way. I'm going to keep searching, but surely you guys who regularly debate this issue must have found something close.

The more I consider the issues in this thread, the more I think a low-carb diet should be the default diet for most people on MFP. In the last two days, I've read several times that 25% of adults in the U.S. are thought to be insulin resistant. If it's that bad among the general population, it's almost assuredly at least that high among MFP members. I'd feel pretty guilt about potentially dissuading a large number of people who may unknowingly be insulin resistant from pursuing a diet that would most certainly benefit them, if not save their lives. More important, the corrolary to that isn't something I'd want on my conscience.
  • FeebRyan
    FeebRyan Posts: 738 Member
    Options

I've also noticed that a whole lot of people seem to think that grains and carbs are synonyms.

me too, its very annoying.