Is diet pop really that bad??

Options

Replies

• half_moon
    half_moon Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Wtf is diet pop?

EDIT: Oh, sorry. In Texas, anything that fizzes is "coke".
  • mearlie
    mearlie Posts: 224
    Options
    Wtf is diet pop?

EDIT: Oh, sorry. In Texas, anything that fizzes is "coke".

LOL! Yep. sprite, pepsi, coke, orange soda, dr. pepper... they are all referred to as coke. Used in a sentence: On a hot summer day you might have heard my dad say "You yunguns git in th' truck n ahll take y'all to th' circle K fer a coke" at which point all children pile in vehicle and then get to choose what variety they will have. That's a really good day.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    yes it increases appetite you are better off with a little bit a suguar than the chemicals if you are a diabetic it can throw your suguar off
    Not for me it doesn't.

I've had more trouble keeping calories down since stopping drinking diet fizzy drinks.
  • wvval
    wvval Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I gave it up and don't miss it.
  • Shetchncn1
    Shetchncn1 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I am with you on that- the part where fake sweets makes it harder to control your eating habits. I eat less when I only have water.
  • breasonable
    breasonable Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    According to my Dr, Diet pop is bad for you makes you fat and makes you crave it more and more. Some how stretches your stomach out. I have been off it now for 5 weeks.... Good luck to you
  • Mamboth
    Options
    Don't be afraid to have a diet drink IMO. You here all the scary stuff, but what don't you here scary things about these days. Sure water is the holy grail as such, but a little can't hurt. The other thing I'm looking at is this plant called Stevia, it's a plant that can be grown from seed or purchased from special plant shops. Totally natural, no calories, very sweet (just drop a leaf in your hot or cold drink for a sweet taste) and approved by the FDA (US food people) and also approved here in Australia.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    People will say diet pop is bad because of the chemicals but ya know - smoking is bad, people still do it, drugs are bad, people still do it.

Unless it's giving you some serious side affects then just keep drinking it.

What incredibly bad reasoning. Both of your examples kill people on a regular basis.
    Please backup your claims regarding the checmicals in diet sodas "killing people on a regular basis". Until you provide such links you're full of ****.
  • AntWrig
    Options
    According to my Dr, Diet pop is bad for you makes you fat and makes you crave it more and more. Some how stretches your stomach out. I have been off it now for 5 weeks.... Good luck to you
    Your Dr is an idiot.
  • lleelloo
    lleelloo Posts: 32 Member
    Options
  • CincinnatiDEIFan
    CincinnatiDEIFan Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    In my house it isn't the sugar or fake sugars or whatever...but instead the CAFFEINE that is the problem.

Caffeine is a MAJOR migraine trigger for half my household. Now before you go telling me 1/3 of Excedrain (the migraine med) is caffeine I already know....

I have also read studies that say it dehydrates you, but I have nothing to back that up.

I gave it up when we found it was some of the cause of my 9 year olds migraine problem...along with environment barometric pressure (which we fixed by moving 16 hours away).

As with anything else though, moderation if you must have it and feel it doesn't affect you in any other way.

:-)
  • AntWrig
    Options
    Joseph Mercola - Enough said. Another crack pot.
  • BlackTimber
    BlackTimber Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    This should really be a commentary on moderation. Anything we consume or do can kill us if we do too much of it.

Drink enough water = healthy - Drink too much water = dead.
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    When I eat sugar, fake or real, it makes me very hungry.
  • SheilaN1976
    SheilaN1976 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    i was a soda-aholic...for many many years, i drank it all day, every day along with coffee. about 3 months ago i pretty much gave up drinking soda, it was hard at first but now i dont even crave it, and i have to say that since doing that, i feel much better, even before i started dieting and exercising regularly which was September 11th of this year. I still drink coffee, i have at least 1 cup every morning and some days i may have 2-4 cups. now if i drink soda on the very rare occasion that i do, it makes me feel sluggish and sick.
  • ekz13
    ekz13 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    everything in balance...
  • Thunderfan66
    Thunderfan66 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I drink 1-2 cans of Coke Zero per day. I use it as a hunger buster....if I'm feeling really hungry (usually in the afternoon) I have a can and it tides me over. It makes me feel full and it certainly doesn't make me crave sugar....in fact it helps me with the sugar cravings!

I was seeing an accredited dietician for a while and she said it was absolutely fine to have a can a day of diet soft drink.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Depends on who you ask. And on you.

Some people find that any sweet, even fake sweets, makes it harder for them to control their overall eating habits. Some people do not and enjoy diet soda regularly.

in terms of artificial sweeteners, the old cancer studies were done by injecting rats with some insane amount, like 300% of their body weight in artificial sweetener. In a very short time frame. It would take a LOT of diet soda to get to that level. ITs probably fine.

*cue someone else coming in to tell you how diet soda is the debil*

Logical and sensible answer. If there was a like, I'd click it.

I use and look like this, doesn't cause any issues for me LOL

15809555_8206.jpg
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Joseph Mercola - Enough said. Another crack pot.

Ditto this.
  • half_moon
    half_moon Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I keep thinking this thread is talking about diet poop.

[/really mature comment]