Is diet pop really that bad??

Options
There are so many mixed reviews on diet pop (soda) and how good/bad it is for you. If it's not something that's being drank on regular occurence, is it really that bad for you (aspartame?) Do you guys normally just spend the calories on a regular pop (soda?) I like the occasional coke zero but couldn't imagine using 160 calories for a regular coke. I'm so torn.

Replies

• DesireeLovesOrganic
    DesireeLovesOrganic Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Does it have to be one or the other? Water is awesome. LOL!
  • mlcharb
    mlcharb Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Very true! I am enjoying my water these days but sometimes I crave the pop!
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    Depends on who you ask. And on you.

Some people find that any sweet, even fake sweets, makes it harder for them to control their overall eating habits. Some people do not and enjoy diet soda regularly.

in terms of artificial sweeteners, the old cancer studies were done by injecting rats with some insane amount, like 300% of their body weight in artificial sweetener. In a very short time frame. It would take a LOT of diet soda to get to that level. ITs probably fine.

*cue someone else coming in to tell you how diet soda is the debil*
  • RedWeb
    RedWeb Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Nope. I love 7 up free. 6 calories per can. Hasn't stopped me losing 70lbs. If you don't like artificial sweeteners don't drink them. Otherwise no problem.
  • Nieninque
    Options
    It really shouldn't affect your weight loss, but it eats the enamel on your teeth just the same.
  • sarah5423
    sarah5423 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I've never really paid any attention to these threads as cutting out diet soda was never an issue to me - I'm happy to have just water, tea and coffee.

BUT.... on Saturday night I went out with some friends ( I don't venture out very often) and they were all drinking alcohol - as I rarely drink now I didn't want to look completely the odd one out by drinking just plain old water so my drink of choice for the night was diet coke, of which I had 3 regular size glasses - no calories and I didn't feel too out of place - great you would think!

The next morning I woke up with my face, lips and hands very swollen, I felt like I had been on the vodka all night and overall felt rubbish. I needed almost double my normal water intake to combat the effects of the diet coke that day.

Now this is just me and everyone is different but it certainly made me highly aware of the effects diet soda can have on the body!
  • warsenic
    Options
    I feel like that as someone that usually drinks water or decaf tea, I'd just rather spend the cals on a normal soda, which is usually once a month.

The only scary thing I've noticed is my reaction to caffiene. I drink a pepsi yesterday and I was off the walls. Still kind of am.
  • cthready
    cthready Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    It is so bad for you!!! It weakens your bones and the ingredinets in it casue cancer, they also posin your body and it maes it harder for you body to lose weight becasue it has extra toxins.

Two things I'd recommend you to do-

1.) Watch 'Hungry for Change' on Youtube- it gives you all the info on how cool drinks affect your body.

2.) Grab some Isagenix 'Want More Energy' satchets, they are low cals, high in vitamins and taste like orange pop.

I woul dsteer clear of it- when coke is transported from the manufacturers to the bottlers the truck must display 'Hazardous Chemical' signs, love your body- don't put that stuff in it!

You could just mix fresh juice with mineral water if you really wanted.

:)
  • kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    My trainer asked me to cut out diet drinks for a month and I didn't see what the point was. From my perspective they don't have any calories so what's the issue. It didn't really occur to me at the time the chemicals that those drinks are filled with. So stopped drinking them for a month then thought I'd pick up where I left off. But I couldn't. I've completely lost my taste for diet coke and coke zero - I can't stand it now. Diet lemonade is ok but I keep that as an occassional drink not every day like I used to. My perspective has changed from calorie counting to nutritional benefit and diet drinks don't have any benefit. So it really depends on how you want to treat your body. Remember, it's what you do most of the time that affects your health, not what you sometimes.
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    It depends if you mind drinking something that can strip RUST off of metal and can be used to strip wallpaper.....

There is also speculation that it 'feeds' the addiction to sugar, as do all artificial sweeteners.

Once you're off it for a while and try it again you'll be able to taste the chemicals in it. Blech.
  • jmunrath
    jmunrath Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    The chemicals in artificial sweetener (just like caffeine, for that matter) affect everyone differently. I drink one diet soda a day, and it has never affected me. Other people can't handle aspartame or sucralose, and they should stay away from it. Know your body, and know what to avoid.

And the only reason for those "Hazardous Materials" signs on the Coke trucks is in case of an accident, they don't want thousands of gallons of Coke going into the stormwater system; that tells them that it needs to be contained and cleaned up. You wouldn't want thousands of gallons of ANYTHING (except for water) going into the stormwater system.
  • txylxr
    txylxr Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    JUST SO EVERYONE KNOWS- they make diet coke that's sweetened with splenda! I used to drink coke all the time, then switched to diet and but with the relation of aspartame and cancer I knew I had to give it up. Now I have maybe a couple cans of it a week just when i'm craving one. So, if you really need your diet coke fix look for the kind with spendla
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOO
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    People will say diet pop is bad because of the chemicals but ya know - smoking is bad, people still do it, drugs are bad, people still do it.

Unless it's giving you some serious side affects then just keep drinking it.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Yes! It tastes horrible! Blech!

Oh, you weren't talking about the taste......:blushing:

:tongue: :laugh: :drinker:
  • ElizaRoche
    ElizaRoche Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    if we stopped eating everything thats dangerous or that can cause cancer I swear to God we would be eating only carrots... no, wait, carrots and all those fertilizings they use :noway: .......
    Seriously, anything in moderation wont hurt you. For some ppl there is a diff reason tho, if they drink them they find it harder to control their sugar cravings, if thats you, then avoid it, or drink it at your own risk :laugh:
  • litatura
    litatura Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I used to be a big pop drinker, but now I allow myself one mini can of Diet Coke a day. It keeps my craving for pop at bay and it hasn't hampered my weight loss. Sure, diet pop isn't good for you, but I'm not going to beat myself up over a mini can that's only like 200 mls.
  • ElizaRoche
    ElizaRoche Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    People will say diet pop is bad because of the chemicals but ya know - smoking is bad, people still do it, drugs are bad, people still do it.

Unless it's giving you some serious side affects then just keep drinking it.

THANK YOU :drinker: (cheers with diet coke :tongue: :laugh: )
  • citygirl04
    citygirl04 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    In moderation. Just not when you're drinking it continuously.