Finally forced myself to drink water!

Options
DJ2120
DJ2120 Posts: 407 Member
I invested in a PUR filtered pitcher yesterday because I promised one of my resolutions for October would be to drink more water. I googled it & most information I read said that 8 8oz glasses is what is recommended a day. So drank 4 16oz glasses today. I feel a little nauseous & my stomach is poofed out like I'm 3 months pregnant. But, I did it & I'm proud of myself. Just have to make myself do it all over again tomorrow, I hope it gets easier with each day.....

Replies

• Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    Did you drink all 4 glasses at once or something to have that side affect?
  • Canderson58054
    Canderson58054 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    It does get easier with each day, I'll promise you that! I never used to drink alot of water and now I usually have 8-8oz servings of water before lunch! lol. Its kind of crazy because if there is a day where I don't get alot of water in I feel like CRAP. Your body gets used to having the water like anything and can actually crave it. Glad you made a great effort and keep up the good work! :)
  • DJ2120
    Options
    Did you drink all 4 glasses at once or something to have that side affect?

No, I drank the cups every couple hours. It's just the last one that had the effect on me.
  • StinkyWinkies
    StinkyWinkies Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    It should. I drink ~0.5 gals/h2o/day, more if I've been in the salt (love McDonald's fries, ya know?)

If you spread it out over the course of the day, it's not really difficult. A glass in the morning upon rising, one at 10-ish, two w/lunch, one at 2-ish, one when you get home, two with dinner, one two hours before bed...there's your 8. When I started drinking *only* water, I used 2 one quart jars, till someone gave me this information here^.

Can be modified for your work hours, etc.
  • DJ2120
    Options
    It does get easier with each day, I'll promise you that! I never used to drink alot of water and now I usually have 8-8oz servings of water before lunch! lol. Its kind of crazy because if there is a day where I don't get alot of water in I feel like CRAP. Your body gets used to having the water like anything and can actually crave it. Glad you made a great effort and keep up the good work! :)

I can't wait until this happens to me! I want to crave water! Thanks :smile:
  • Ashlee2421
    Ashlee2421 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I use Mio water enhancers.
    I love them.
  • rockingallovertheworld
    Options
    Sorry to sound silly but what are water enhancers ?:drinker:
    Some days I am ok with water another day it is a real struggle.
  • DJ2120
    Options
    I use Mio water enhancers.
    I love them.

I've heard a lot of good things about these. I need to try them!
  • belladonna786
    belladonna786 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    I HATED drinking water but now if I don't have my bottle with me I feel like i'm missing something. It does get easier and you will eventually like it.
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    It does get easier as your body gets used to it. Try spreading it out even more - 1 cup at a time, 2 won't hurt you, but it's not as comfortable. Also until your body gets used to it, you probably will need to urinate more often.
    :wink:
    A water filter is a great way to make water more palatable. I've collected a bunch of other suggestions that may help at http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Robin_Bin/view/water-265761
  • 30Purple
    30Purple Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    What did you drink before? I have an iced tea glass and refill it like 6x a day. I drink a LOT of water.... helps me go. ;)
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I wasn't drinking much water either, and just decided to start doing it. Gave up the diet soda, the crystal lite peach tea (which I Love!), and started drinking just water. Now I get at least 9 glasses a day in, and like they said its not hard to do. Also I think I'm not craving things as much since I started this, which is a big plus.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i just never understood how people don't like water.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Do you tend to drink that water with your meal? if so , that may be causing the bloat.
  • bekkaL85
    bekkaL85 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Your body will get used to it, no worries. Give it a week and you will be feeling dehydrated it you DON'T drink enough water. Carbonated drinks will start to taste weird too. They will tickle your throat in a not so fun way.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Before you had to "force" yourself to drink water... did you just not drink things?
  • dawndw
    dawndw Posts: 203
    Options
    I get minimum 10 glasses a day in if I really workout hard and do extra it is closer to 12....
  • ktweld
    ktweld Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Water to me is great after exercise or when Im really hot and thirsty - but other than that, it is very hard for me to drink water so I have bought the 5oz dixie cups and I now drink one or two every hour. Maybe its mental but it seems easier.
  • DJ2120
    Options
    Before you had to "force" yourself to drink water... did you just not drink things?

Exactly, I'm never thirsty. It's not like I'm replacing water with something else. I'm forcing myself to drink in general. I can eat an entire meal without a drink & never look for a drink to wash it down with either. I just never feel the need to drink anything, it's strange.
  • DJ2120
    Options
    Do you tend to drink that water with your meal? if so , that may be causing the bloat.

My last one I did. That makes sense.