Need ideas what to use in place of Margarine

Options
2»

Replies

• AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    There are some low cal tatzikis out there - and not so full of preservatives and additivies - love that with lean pork, or on baked potatoes, or to dip veggies in.

My Naturopath recommends taking equal parts organic butter (at room temp) and olive oil, whip them together, then refrigerate. Use this spread on veggies, toast, etc. Still count those calories of course, but this is a healthier alternative to margarine or chemical sprays! (but, hey, if those things help you lose the weight go for whatever works!).
    :happy:
  • auntkaren
    auntkaren Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    There are some low cal tatzikis out there - and not so full of preservatives and additivies - love that with lean pork, or on baked potatoes, or to dip veggies in.

My Naturopath recommends taking equal parts organic butter (at room temp) and olive oil, whip them together, then refrigerate. Use this spread on veggies, toast, etc. Still count those calories of course, but this is a healthier alternative to margarine or chemical sprays! (but, hey, if those things help you lose the weight go for whatever works!).
    :happy:
    I don't know what tatzikis are, I will have to look that one up, and yes that does sound healthy. Thank You!:smile:
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    spreadable butter: the only ingredients are butter & canola oil, none of the chemicals. I use country crock, it's 80 cal per tablespoon
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I took a nutrition class in college, and the teacher was saying that those oil sprays (like PAM or whatever) still are filled with calories. They can say on the package because according to the serving size, the amount of calories cannot be measured. I guess the FDA was ok with that, and really, who uses a 1 second spray..or whatever it is. Has anyone else heard of this? My mom is a registered dietician, so I'll have to ask her, but, if you think of it...oil is oil, and they both have to have calories. Nothing in life is free:)
    I'll let you know if I find anything out, but, I would still be careful of those. Good luck!

I have heard the same thing.
  • auntkaren
    auntkaren Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    spreadable butter: the only ingredients are butter & canola oil, none of the chemicals. I use country crock, it's 80 cal per tablespoon
    You know that is what I use to use, :happy: I guess I never read the ingredients before and like the flavor. thank you:flowerforyou:
  • babyhippo
    babyhippo Posts: 247
    Options
    The trouble with margarine is the hydrogenated oils. BAD, BAD, BAD.:devil: You body cannot break these down.....they just collect and build up in you arteries!

I tried the Smart Balance (no hyd. oils) but, it's as hard as a rock. It tears up your bread. :ohwell:

Then, I found the miracle butter spread "Promise". It has no Hydrogenated Oil and no trans fat! 80 calories per Tablespoon (margarine has 100), 8g of fat (margarine has 11g), 85 mg of sodium (margarine 105 mg)........AND it spreads perfectly. :happy:
  • bkrbabe57
    bkrbabe57 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I really like a product called Brummel and Brown.
    It is made with Yogert and has a buttery flavor.
    1 serving is 45 cal
    5grams of fat
    0 cholestrol, trans fats and carbs
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Laughing Cow Light Wedges - I spread them on everything now!

I love those little things!
    I use a wedge when I make shrimp fettucini alfredo.

~Joanna:flowerforyou: