Really getting irritated... No weight change in weeks...

Options
124»

Replies

• erica2177
    erica2177 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    how would i find out if i'm eating enough calories. i'm 35 weigh 230 and i'm 5'4. i am doing 1500 calories a day and doing alot of walking. i have pcos where low carb works the best for me to lose weight. any help would be appreciated.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    how would i find out if i'm eating enough calories. i'm 35 weigh 230 and i'm 5'4. i am doing 1500 calories a day and doing alot of walking. i have pcos where low carb works the best for me to lose weight. any help would be appreciated.

Read the stickies and the newbie information at the top of this forum. Everything you need to know is in there.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options

for your stats, your daily burn (not including any exercise) should be about 2150 calories.

that's getting your BMR here (http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/) and multiplying by 1.2 for "sedentary" activity.

the walking is extra burn for you. i don't know the details so can't estimate that, but you can (http://walking.about.com/library/cal/uccalc1.htm)

i don't know what PCOS is, but assuming you're in normal health and don't have a condition which affects your ability to lose weight, you are running at least a 650 calorie deficit per day, which alone would translate to 5.5lbs weight loss over a month.
  • lynz4589
    lynz4589 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Just thought I'd revive this thread with an update.

I change my MFP goals from 2 pounds a week to 1 pound, and it added 500 calories to my daily intake - about 1900. I started aiming for that and was surprised to see myself quickly fall back to the 214 range. It hovered there for a little bit, so I started aiming for 1700 calories, and the weight has begun falling nicely. Down to 211.8 this morning!!!

I REALLY want to hit 199 before Christmas...

I just wanted to say thanks for the advice and support.

I have just spent the majority of my lunch hour in work reading this thread with great interest. Im female, 5'4, weigh 211 (or 213 when the scales fancy a change) Ive been around there for 4 weeks now. I exercise 3-4 times a week (50 mins each) and sometimes try to get extra in. I was given the advice to eat more (was originally eating 1300) and with my PT upping my protein it was an easy move for me just adding an extra protein shake and a hanful of nuts bringing me up to between 1500 and 1600 a day. Ive only started this week and have had the constant fear of gaining rather than losing so to read this really eases any fears I have! Good luck to you and the rest of your journey and of course growing your family :)
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    For your size you need to eat more. When I started I was 170 and MFP gave me a 1440 calorie goal - I found if I kept under that I stayed the same weight. I upped it to between 1500-1600 and the weight dropped off. Try upping your calories (with GOOD food) for a week or two and see if it helps.
  • candicejn
    candicejn Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Just thought I'd revive this thread with an update.

I change my MFP goals from 2 pounds a week to 1 pound, and it added 500 calories to my daily intake - about 1900. I started aiming for that and was surprised to see myself quickly fall back to the 214 range. It hovered there for a little bit, so I started aiming for 1700 calories, and the weight has begun falling nicely. Down to 211.8 this morning!!!

I REALLY want to hit 199 before Christmas...

I just wanted to say thanks for the advice and support.

That's great!!! So glad to hear it's working for you :)
  • TheViperMan
    TheViperMan Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I just hope I can lose a few more before the next plateau...

:tongue:
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    1400 calories for a man your size sounds pretty low. I am a 5 foot tall female weighing 157 and that's about what I eat. The trainer at my gym said to multiply your weight by 10 (this is your maintenance calories) and then subtract 200-300 (weight-loss calories). Avoid all white foods accept cauliflower.

I agree that 1400 for the OP is wayyyy too low! However, if I were to follow the advise of your trainer then I would barely get 600 -700cals. Best is to go the TDEE route.

I believe this formula is for those who are obese. You are probably a lot closer to your ideal weight than I am, so you would multiply your weight by 12-15.
  • lynz4589
    lynz4589 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    bump for anyone having trouble losing at the moment, it just shows its can be done. It helped me lose 4lbs this week :)